Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

An Experiment - Home Aging Some White Dog Whiskey.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• An Experiment - Home Aging Some White Dog Whiskey.

I've had an experiment rolling around in my head for a while, and finally put some things together in March to get it rolling. After a few months I have something to report.

On the net there are a lot of home aging kits that you can buy to age your own whiskey. they are essentially small charred oak kegs that you can dump a bottle of liquor into and in a short period of time have "aged" whiskey. Due to the large surface area of the charred wood that is in contact with the white dog whiskey, it only takes a short period of time. My guess is that you would have young amber colored whiskey, but I wanted to give it a try.

Since I wanted to watch this thing progress, I opted for a clear mason jar and some charred white oak.

First I had to search far and wide for a plank of white oak. Wound up buying it online. I cut it into small pieces for the sake of convenience (sent some to my brother since he wanted to give this a go as well). My goal was to toast this and then char it so it was aligatored ( ) a bit...I wrapped a piece of oak in foil and into the oven at 450 °. Here is what it looked like next to a fresh piece...Let me tell you the entire house smelled like toasted oak!

Then I hit it with a torch to give it a good char.

I chose a George Dickel no. 1 as the test subject. It is the same mash bill as their regular offering and the reviews I read were encouraging. I wanted to start with something that was decent.

Everyone into the pool!

After a couple days...

About a week. I sat this outside to catch a temperature swing.

Three months...This is next to some Buffalo Trace Sazerac Rye and some Reiger's Kansas City.

I opened this up and tried about half a shot. It has definitely changed and taken on notes of toasted oak. I have to say It is young, but it is really pretty good. I don't like white dog whiskey, but this definitely has some merit. It has only been a few months, so I'll let this go a bit longer and see what it is like. I may start a larger batch of this one. I also picked up this Devil's Share by Ballast Point Distillery to see what it was like after I age it a bit.
    BBQ Eng.

The "Cow Girls" were adopted from the shelter, and found on petfinder.com.
    Adopt a homeless pet - http://www.petfinder.com
    I built the Iron Maiden - Iron Maiden Smoker Build

Over 5000 unreadable posts...Photobucket can kiss my ass...they will never get a dime. I will not pay a ransom.

Had you heard of the guy using high intensity light to speed the process?
    In God I trust- All others pay cash...
    Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
    Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Originally posted by Richtee View Post
      Had you heard of the guy using high intensity light to speed the process?
      haven't heard of that, but I bet google has.

I'll see what I can find. Also, please note that my hunk of charred white oak is a small piece 1 1/4" X 3/4" X ~6". I have some smaller pieces that I can add as well, so finding the right mix of oak to volume of liquor may be interesting. I didn't want to add too much as I am getting exposure on all 4 sides of that piece. If it was the circumference of the container it would be a lot of exposure. The color of it is pretty nice...not the deep amber of some others, but it looks like legitimate aged whiskey and it definitely took on some oak notes that you expect of aged whiskey. Not only has my experiment been fun to watch, but the end product will be fun to drink!
      BBQ Eng.

Over 5000 unreadable posts...Photobucket can kiss my ass...they will never get a dime. I will not pay a ransom.

Comment

Cool post Dana
        sigpic

Comment

Very interesting. Will be following the post for sure.
          sigpic

Some days I think Bravo Zulu, other days it's more like Whiskey Tango Foxtrot...

Comment

nothing like a little mellowing! interesting...(got 2 gts of shine) may give this a trial with some sugar maple...
            Sunset Eagle Aviation
            https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sunse...888015?fref=ts <... We sure could use some likes!

Comment

I have some Apple Hooch thats is good,,, stays in camper,,,, says apple juice on the bottle,,, don't want the kids to get in it on accident LOL

DS
              Desert Storm Vet - USS Midway CV41 - decom crew.
              1930 Fridge Build
              MES 30" With Mailbox Mod
              Therma Pen
              Maverick 732
              Mini Therma Pen
              Frog Mats
              Weber Junior
              AMPS & AMPTS

Comment

Very interesting.
                Lang 36 Patio, a few Webers, 2 Eggs, plenty of gadgets and a MES 40 Gen 2.5 electric for bacon and sausage.
                My best asset however is the inspiration from the members on this forum.

sigpic
                @SmokinJim52 on Twitter

Comment

Mega update!

So my whiskey has been hanging out over the summer (and better yet, I stayed out of it!)...I drew off about a shot tonight, and I have to tell you it is legit. As you can see, the color has darkened and the taste reflects it. It has more complexity and less harshness than I previously remembered. Here is a photo against a white background, so you can tell that it has definitely aged (Don't have any of the previous liquor to take the same photo).

Here is the previous photo with a white background...you can tell it has matured.

This takes some time, but it is a fun experiment. I'm going to get some more white dog and get a larger batch going. I can definitely tell people that this is the house pour, because I have had a hand in the final product!
                  BBQ Eng.

Comment

Against my better judgement I would have to give that a try...
                    Craig
                    sigpic

Comment

Wow, how cool! Looks awesome! Nice experiment Dana

sigpic

Comment

I'm thinking I may have to try this. As Tom Petty says, the waiting is the hardest part.
                        A few of my favorite things:
                        Good Whiskey
                        Good Food
                        Bad Girls
                        sigpic

NRA Endowment Member
                        Certified Glock Armorer

Comment

Working...
                        X