• Show
Clear All

• Ever hear of Sand Cherry ?

Co worker just removed a "Sand Cherry" shrub / small tree
    Not much info online as to whether it can be used for smoking meat or not
    Not in the mood to experiment
    Thanks
    Dave

Never heard of it...Might be good...Just light the end of a piece and sniff it...
    Craig
    sigpic

Comment

Not sure bout the wood but I love sand cherry jelly. We don't have them that I know of in Eastern Nebraska but I guess they're abundant out west in the sand hills.
      sigpic

Comment

Nope, never heard of a "sand cherry", but we have a ton of wild cherry trees around here. Best to cut them as soon as you see that is what it is. They are nothing but magnets and breading grounds for the tent caterpillars who have migrated down south from the land of our Yankee brethren.

I think the ones we have around here are a variation of the wild black cherry. I remember my Grandfather used to cut them out of his pasture and said the bark an leaves contained cyanide and would kill the horses and cows if they ate them. Then the tent caterpillars moved south and just gave us another reason to cut them down.
        Dave

I love coming home. My back porch smells just like a BBQ joint.....

Comment

ain't sure not heard of it...knowed if it ain't hard as me head...i'd back off!
          Sunset Eagle Aviation
          https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sunse...888015?fref=ts <... We sure could use some likes!

Comment

got 5 of 'em in my landscape. beautiful decorative landscape shrub. not enough substance for me to put in the smoker. Pretty spring flowers and nice purple foilage during the summer though.
            BBQ Eng.

The "Cow Girls" were adopted from the shelter, and found on petfinder.com.
            Adopt a homeless pet - http://www.petfinder.com
            I built the Iron Maiden - Iron Maiden Smoker Build

Over 5000 unreadable posts...Photobucket can kiss my ass...they will never get a dime. I will not pay a ransom.

Comment

Working...
            X