Fermented pickles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fermented pickles

Fermented pickles have been on my list of things to do for a while now and today I finally got around to it. No real recipe, just some cucumbers, brine, dried dill, garlic, red pepper flakes, mustard seeds and whole pepper corns. Into the fermenter where they'll stay for a week or two. I'm curious to see how it turns out.
    Mike
    Life In Pit Row

Looks like a good start. They do have a different finish to them.
    Brian

Certified Sausage & Pepper Head
    Yoder YS640
    Weber Genesis
    Weber 18.5" Kettle
    Weber Performer
    Misfit # 1899

sigpic

Comment

Never made em but I would love to try em....
      Craig
      sigpic

Comment

Set em out in the sun :{)

http://www.smoked-meat.com/forum/sho...39589#poststop
        In God I trust- All others pay cash...
        Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
        Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Originally posted by Richtee View Post

Ha ha! You forget I'm in Oregon, we won't see the sun again until May or June. Ok that's a bit of an exaggeration but not by too much.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
          Mike
          Life In Pit Row

Comment

If they turn out soggy, next time add a grape leaf to the bottom. The tannin helps keep them crisp. Looks good though!!

Comment

Originally posted by carlv123 View Post
              If they turn out soggy, next time add a grape leaf to the bottom. The tannin helps keep them crisp. Looks good though!!
              yeah, I forgot about that part. It's funny, I'm in the middle of wine country and surrounded by vineyards, so you'd think I'd remember. Oh well. I did snip the blossom end so hopefully that will be enough to keep them somewhat crisp.
              Mike
              Life In Pit Row

Comment

Lookin' good. I'd try them for sure

I never got into making pickles, but I do remember my GrandMa & GrandPa pickling all sorts of veggies. I remember they made some that they sat on a bench for a week or so out by the garden. They were crisp, but my favorites were the bread & butter pickles they made.
                Jim

Comment

Well I gave these a taste test last night. Really good flavor and nice and crisp. But the wife and I both agreed not quite sour enough yet. So we'll try 'em again in a day or so.
                  Mike
                  Life In Pit Row

Comment

Originally posted by PitRow View Post
                    Well I gave these a taste test last night. Really good flavor and nice and crisp. But the wife and I both agreed not quite sour enough yet. So we'll try 'em again in a day or so.
                    Looks good, sounds good too
                    Yeah, this thyme of year it seems like we will never see the sun again
                    sigpic

Comment

Working...
                    X