NEW Cold smoker attachment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NEW Cold smoker attachment

So I swore I would never buy another MES after the last one caught on fire. But I really liked it for my homemade hotdogs. I am also thinking it would be good for bacon if the cold smoke attachment is worth a flip. If I do decide to get another one i am going to go with the 30 inch no window. Before I had the 40 with the window. That's just more to clean. I only plan on using it for sausages, hotdogs and bacon. I still have my Primo XL, Meadow Creek, and 3 Webers. I was wondering if anyone has tried the cold smoker attachment?

Squirrel..I have bodged up an electric element in my Lang firebox. Seems to be working very well... never cracked 60°. Maybe something to think about for your MC?
    In God I trust- All others pay cash...
    Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
    Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

You know, I have that big warming box over the fire box and I have never used it. I sure wish I could find someone with some skills to convert it into a cold smoker. I am not handy or patient.

Comment

I have the Masterbuilt Cold Smoking Attachment and it worked great for almost a year. Now it pops the circuit breaker when turned on. It does have some quirks. I found the best method was to layer chips an pellets for long smokes. Often the chips would get caught in the hopper of the gravity fed smoke generator. Definitely recommend using the dryer duct MOD to move the smoke away from the smoker. It allows the smoke to cool a bit before it enters the chamber.

Comment

I used to put an Amazen Pellet Smoker in the firebox of my big offset (rust in peace), worked pretty well for bigger cold smoke projects.
          Mark
          sigpic

"Likes smokey old pool rooms, clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?
          Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head!

Comment

Originally posted by Squirrel View Post
            You know, I have that big warming box over the fire box and I have never used it. I sure wish I could find someone with some skills to convert it into a cold smoker. I am not handy or patient.
            Build a SMALL fire...?
            Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
            Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

I've had Awesome results for 7 years with my 5 X 8 AMNPS, just put inside the 3 MES units I've had.

AS for the Masterbuilt Cold Smoker Attachment, some seem to like them at first. Then some breaker kicking, etc, but the biggest complaint seems to be Chips Jamming Up.
              However I have no First Person experience with one.

Bear
              Vietnam Vet---9th Inf. Div. Mekong Delta (1969)
              Easy to follow Step By Steps: Pulled Cured Boston Butt Ham and Buckboard Bacon--Smoked Salmon-- Bacon-On-A-Stick--Bacon (Extra Smokey)--Boneless Cured & Smoked Pork Chops & CB--Canadian Bacon & Dried Beef--Ham Twins (Double Smoked)--Double Smoked Hams X 4--Bear Logs (All Beef--Unstuffed)--Smoked Bear Loaf (All Beef-Mild Hot)--Prime Rib (My Best ever)--Another Prime Rib--Chucky (Pulled Beef)--Twin Chuckies--Pork and Beef Spares--Rare Beef (for Sammies)--Raspberry Chiffon Pie---

Mom & 4 Cub litter---Potter County, PA:

Comment

Cheryl, i'd take a serious look at the tube smoker that Todd has......i use it in my commercial box and i can't think of a better solution for cold smoking....the 18'' works great for long bacon smokes.
                sigpic
                it's all good my friend..........

Comment

Originally posted by chefrob View Post
                  Cheryl, i'd take a serious look at the tube smoker that Todd has......i use it in my commercial box and i can't think of a better solution for cold smoking....the 18'' works great for long bacon smokes.
                  X2^^^^
                  Masterbuilt Stainless Steel 40"
                  Weber 22.5" WSM
                  Weber Performer W/rotisserie X2
                  Weber 22.5" Kettle Silver
                  Weber 22.5" Kettle Gold
                  Weber 1990 22.5" 3 Wheeler
                  Weber 18.5" Kettle
                  Weber 18.5" Bud Light Kettle
                  Weber Smokey Joe
                  GMG Daniel Boone
                  Pit Barrel Cooker
                  Maverick ET 73 and ET 732
                  6X8 A Maze N Smoker and Tube Smoker
                  Fastest Themapen on the market BLACK
                  The Vortex

Comment

Originally posted by chefrob View Post
                    /\/\/\ X3!!
                    Mark
                    sigpic

"Likes smokey old pool rooms, clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?
                    Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head!

Comment

Thanks for all the input! I need to check out that tube smoker.

Comment

Thanks for all the input! I need to check out that tube smoker.

The Tube puts out too much smoke for an MES 30 at low altitude. IMO

For cold smoking at a low altitude in an MES 30, I'd recommend an AMNPS (5 X 8 Tray), and use Sawdust instead of Pellets. Dust Burns better & cooler for Cold Smoking.

Bear
                        Vietnam Vet---9th Inf. Div. Mekong Delta (1969)
                        Easy to follow Step By Steps: Pulled Cured Boston Butt Ham and Buckboard Bacon--Smoked Salmon-- Bacon-On-A-Stick--Bacon (Extra Smokey)--Boneless Cured & Smoked Pork Chops & CB--Canadian Bacon & Dried Beef--Ham Twins (Double Smoked)--Double Smoked Hams X 4--Bear Logs (All Beef--Unstuffed)--Smoked Bear Loaf (All Beef-Mild Hot)--Prime Rib (My Best ever)--Another Prime Rib--Chucky (Pulled Beef)--Twin Chuckies--Pork and Beef Spares--Rare Beef (for Sammies)--Raspberry Chiffon Pie---

Mom & 4 Cub litter---Potter County, PA:

Comment

Good to know Bear. Thanks!

Comment

I have the 40" and an amazn tube, and also a smoke daddy. all have worked well for 5+ years. Smoked a 13lb. turkey yesterday. I have used both the smoke daddy and the tube for cold smoke.
                            A few of my favorite things:
                            Good Whiskey
                            Good Food
                            Bad Girls
                            sigpic

NRA Endowment Member
                            Certified Glock Armorer

Comment

Good to know Bear. Thanks!
                              Squirrly-girl..I got a prototype of that unit. I shall bequeath it to you.

Comment

Working...
                              X