Which injector and therm to buy?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which injector and therm to buy?

What is a good, not $100 flavor injector to buy? Wife is asking for Christmas gift ideas. Also thinking a good therm?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Originally posted by krisjade34 View Post
    What is a good, not $100 flavor injector to buy? Wife is asking for Christmas gift ideas. Also thinking a good therm?

For an instant Therm, I like the Thermapen (Orange is fastest !!), but I understand there are some good ones that are cheaper.

For a Wireless Digital set of Therms, I love my Maverick ET-732 units. (See MossyMo)

Bear
    Vietnam Vet---9th Inf. Div. Mekong Delta (1969)
    Easy to follow Step By Steps: Pulled Cured Boston Butt Ham and Buckboard Bacon--Smoked Salmon-- Bacon-On-A-Stick--Bacon (Extra Smokey)--Boneless Cured & Smoked Pork Chops & CB--Canadian Bacon & Dried Beef--Ham Twins (Double Smoked)--Double Smoked Hams X 4--Bear Logs (All Beef--Unstuffed)--Smoked Bear Loaf (All Beef-Mild Hot)--Prime Rib (My Best ever)--Another Prime Rib--Chucky (Pulled Beef)--Twin Chuckies--Pork and Beef Spares--Rare Beef (for Sammies)--Raspberry Chiffon Pie---

Mom & 4 Cub litter---Potter County, PA:

Comment

Here's the one I've used for over 20 years.
      http://www.brucefoods.com/cajun-inje...njector-6.html
      sigpic
      Smoke Vault 24

Comment

Like Mr Bear said Thermapen is awesome. I have both the Maverick 732 & 733. I prefer the 732. Easier to set up less complicated. Good range up to 300 feet. Be sure you get the 300 feet model if you need that range. The first older 733 i got was only 100 feet. I can check while I mow and ride by and make a quick dampener adjustment.
        sigpicYeah...that's right...I'm smokin'.

The GOOD ONE smoker grill
        Weber 22 1/2 Wannabe (aka WW)
        Weber 22 1/2 Silver One Touch
        Smokey Joe New model, Smokey Joe 1984 model
        fire pit in the yard
        10 & 12 Lodge DO,
        Maverick ET73, ET732.
        A-MAZE-N SMOKER 5x8, RED HOT Thermapen
        MES 40 Gen 2.5 electric smoker

Rick

Comment

a good thermometer for a reasonable price is the Thermowand

https://www.amazon.com/Ultra-Accurat...ols+thermowand

I've been happy with it.

Comment

I'm with most of the crowd with this one, have two Thermapens (think the gray is faster than the white, haha!)

I have a Maverick 732 and 733, the 732 is definitely easier but the 733 is ok once you get used to it.

Never had a Thermowand but have friends who have had them. Have had them is the key, they are now Thermapen converts. If you do look at the Lavatools products I suggest you spend the extra bucks on the professional model based on info from those friends.

Sorry, can't really help you on injectors, bought a generic small one a long time ago, used it a couple times, now it sits in a box on the shelf.

Comment

I got my current injector from Lowes for aboot $20. Its SS and pretty stout.

As for thermos, I use a couple Thermapens and Thermoworks probe thermos. My Maverick never worked right and gave it away. Just my experiences. Also, there apparently are some less expensive good options for a Thermapen. Maybe check Amazon. I think 1 brand is Lava? Or similar
              sigpic

Comment

Well the advice seems to be that you don't need an injector...I agree...

Thermopen is the best there is...But it's pricey...I also have a thermopop...About 1/3 the price and just a couple seconds slower...Anything with the Thermoworks name on it is top notch...They don't mess around

I have two of the old Mavericks...et-73...They work fine for what I need them for...

Buy what you can afford...Save some money for meat and wood
                Craig
                sigpic

Comment

Gave up on injectors a while back, have a drawer full of the cheapo plastic ones. They work well for what I need them for.

Subscribe to the thermoworks email news letter and they will send specials out.

I have a couple of mavericks but gave up on them. Distance is limited and nothing what they claim.

Any duel probe thermometer will work to monitor temp, one for meat and one for the chamber.
                  Last edited by nickelmore; 09-21-2016, 08:32 PM.

Comment

Injectors can be a PITA so buy one that isn't. There are a few good instant read thermometers on the market. They are all pricey so why not go with the gold standard.

If you don't buy em' now you will later on when you upgrade.
                    sigpic
                    Fully Accessorized Primo XL Oval,
                    -BBQ GURU DigiQ DX2,
                    -AMNPS
                    -And various other do-dads, gimmicks,
                    gizmos and hornswaggles

Comment

Originally posted by gracoman View Post
                      Injectors can be a PITA so buy one that isn't. There are a few good instant read thermometers on the market. They are all pricey so why not go with the gold standard.

If you don't buy em' now you will later on when you upgrade.
                      Yes!
                      Craig
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by krisjade34 View Post

Did you ever decide on an injector or therm? I'm very new to using the smoker so most of my stuff is new and not really tried and true from lots of experience.

I went with the Maverick ET 733 therm and really love how easy it is to use, I also have a char-grill single probe that works okay but it reads temps much slower.

It's still nice to have all three probes so I can have a couple getting the grate temp and one in the meat. After I get a little more experienced this might become a little overkill.

I bought an injector kit, but now I'm not sure it was worth it since the pre-made store bought injector juice already come with a plastic injector that seems to work fine. Maybe if I start attempting to make my own injector sauces I might attempt to use the fancy one I bought.
                        Attached Files
                        18.5 WSM
                        Weber Spirit
                        Maverick ET 733
                        Thermapen MK4

Comment

I had a Maverick 732 (or 733?) dual probe that was great for a few years til it took a dump. Tried a few cheapies from Wally or wherever that were less than satisfactory. Not enough temp range and not programmable except for their own presets. No good for programming to 195+. I'm now using an iGrill2 with up to 4 probes. Pretty happy with it, although it occasionally loses it's Bluetooth connection with my iPhone. It also works with Android devices.Oregon Scientific makes a good one too, but it only has one probe.

For instant read count me in with the Thermapen crowd. Had a Classic that kept eating batteries, so I sent it to Thermoworks for a fix. They informed me that it had corrosion on some contacts inside and couldn't be fixed. My bad. Forgot to bring it in one evening. I left it on my Q table in a covered area, but it rained hard enough the next day with wind to overwhelm its splash-proof qualities. But it gave me the excuse I needed to get a purty new red Mk4. I love it!
                          sigpic
                          "Once I thought I was wrong, but I was mistaken."
                          Tom, smoker of meats and fine cigars
                          UDS, Viking grill

Comment

Thermoworks is having a nice sale this weekend.

I have been eying the new smoke remote thermometer.

Comment

I just looked at the Thermapen, man they don't give those bad boys away! Are they really that much better than the $10 Walmart pen thermometer?
                              18.5 WSM
                              Weber Spirit
                              Maverick ET 733
                              Thermapen MK4

Comment

Working...
                              X