Thawing Pork Shoulder Via SV for Smoker

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thawing Pork Shoulder Via SV for Smoker

looking for advice to thaw a 10 lb pork shoulder via SV so I can throw on the smoker tomorrow.

Was thinking about running at 100 to thaw then to 135 over night, onto the smoker to 190 ish to pull.

Or would it be Ok to run at 100 all night then onto the smoker?

It will never thaw out over night in the fridge.

I got nothing for thawing via SV. Maybe running a cold water hose into a cooler overnight? Just thinking oot loud here
    sigpic

Comment

If I need to thaw meat in a hurry I put it in the bottom of an ice chest...No ice...Lid open...Thaws quickly (overnight usually) but stays cold...
      Craig
      sigpic

Comment

I just sit any meat that needs thawed on a granite countertop - flipping every couple hours - something about the rock absorbs cold and dissipates it...not like I sit and watch though...well maybe with a couple drinks
        ~ George Burns

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Sauce View Post
          I just sit any meat that needs thawed on a granite countertop - flipping every couple hours - something about the rock absorbs cold and dissipates it...not like I sit and watch though...well maybe with a couple drinks
          Kitchen sink works well too...Draws out the cold and keeps the meat in a pool of cool...
          Craig
          sigpic

Comment

I had it in the SV at 100 for about 4 hours. Took it out it was still very cold in the middle. Deboned it and put rub on it and rebagged and into bath up to 145.

I am figuring taking to 145 for 14-16 hours should pasteurize it. Then onto the smoker to finish off.

This was a lost roast for sausage making I picked up a long while back and found it while doing inventory on freezer. I sort of wanted to do a real quick smoke but figured that would not work as planned so into the SV it went.

If I have to toss it it wont be a big loss.

Comment

Let us know how it turns oot. Another late thought would be to cut it half, or quarters, after de-boning, once it had thawed enough just thinking oot loud again....
              sigpic

Comment

I would go straight to the smoker in that case, which I never would. I don't get this SV thang myself. I guess I'm just old school. Hey each his own.

Comment

Originally posted by nickelmore View Post
                  looking for advice to thaw a 10 lb pork shoulder via SV so I can throw on the smoker tomorrow.

Was thinking about running at 100 to thaw then to 135 over night, onto the smoker to 190 ish to pull.

Or would it be Ok to run at 100 all night then onto the smoker?

It will never thaw out over night in the fridge.
                  I would save that one for a later date and get fresh.

Comment

Didn't some one just post a video last week about sous vide pulled pork? Cooked like 36 hours in the sous vide and partially on the smoker. Or am I having another senior moment?
                    Dave

I love coming home. My back porch smells just like a BBQ joint.....

Comment

Originally posted by Fishawn View Post
                      Let us know how it turns oot. Another late thought would be to cut it half, or quarters, after de-boning, once it had thawed enough just thinking oot loud again....
                      That's what I did to get smaller mass. 4 inches thick will come up to safe temp faster than 1 8 inch piece.

I also am testing out a new data logger/ remote so I can monitor the temp via the net. Gave me another thing to run it through some paces. Temp holding steady at 145.

Comment

Ok, I found the thread on the sous vide pulled pork. I'm not loosing my mind (yet)....

http://www.smoked-meat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=43511

They smoked it first and then double bagged for the sous vide. I guess you could let it thaw in water for 15-20 minutes so you could unwrap it, rub it and hit with smoke for the 3 hours and then let it finish in the sous vide like the did.
                        Dave

Comment

Yea i saw that but mine was more of a safety question going from -20 to thawed in 100 degree water to speed up the thaw.

After the thaw, proceed to safe temp at 145 and then to smoker to 195

From what I gather from a lot of reading I will be OK since I cut it in half. I also got rid of the bone. i think old frozen bones can taiint meat as well.

Comment

A CI cooking grate works well too. Those “Grill Grates” would rock at this..given aluminum’s thermal conductivity, and the “heat sink” style construction of them. Plus the wide contact area of their construction.
                            In God I trust- All others pay cash...
                            Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
                            Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Originally posted by nickelmore View Post
                              Yea i saw that but mine was more of a safety question going from -20 to thawed in 100 degree water to speed up the thaw.

After the thaw, proceed to safe temp at 145 and then to smoker to 195

From what I gather from a lot of reading I will be OK since I cut it in half. I also got rid of the bone. i think old frozen bones can taiint meat as well.
                              Remember that for whole muscle meat you do not have to get the entire mass to 140* within 4 hours. The only place any bacteria "should" be on whole muscle meat is on the exterior and that will not be a problem getting up to temp in a smoker even if the core of the meat is still frozen. As long as you are not poking with injection, or cutting slits to put in garlic, etc.... the interior of the meat is still sealed from contamination. So I don't think that would be a issue if thawed just enough to remove the wrapping, rubbed and tossed in a 225* smoker for 2-3 hours before bagging for sous vide for a 36 hour hot tub session.

I'm sure someone will probably disagree, but that is my take.
                              Dave

Comment

Working...
                              X