Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My smoked cheese is horrible. What went wrong?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My smoked cheese is horrible. What went wrong?

On 2/10/17 I cold smoked some cheese for the first time. I used cheddar, mozzarella, Colby, Swiss, pepper jack, and Monterey Jack. I smoked the cheese in my MES30 without heat. The outside temp was around 40 degrees and I used a new amnps 12" tube with Treager Hickory pellets. The tube smoked wonderfully. I left the upper vent wide open and smoked the cheese for 2 hours. I removed the cheese and vacuum packed them in the food saver. I read that I should let the cheese mellow at least 2 weeks so I threw it all in the crisper and forgot about it. Tonight I pulled the cheddar out and had a taste. It was downright disgusting. Tasted strong and almost caustic. I totally just ruined 6 pounds of cheese. It's not what I expected at all. I've hard smoked cheese from local markets on many occasions and loved it but this stuff sucks.

Where did I go wrong? Did I smoke too long and use the wrong type of pellets?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

I've never had good luck cold smoking with traeger pellets, always tasted like an ash tray.
    sigpic

Comment

Just my thoughts here: 2 hours with Hickory might have been too long, and Hickory can be pretty strong on cheese IMO. The MES has a pretty limited air flow/exhaust system, from my experience with an older 30" years ago, which can really pound the smoke to the cheese. And from my experience using one, they tend to build up quite a bit of humidity inside, which IMO is also something you do not want when smoking cheese. IMO, air flow is really important (intake and exhaust) when smoking cheese, so it does not get "oversmoked".

Maybe cut off the outter portion/skin and taste test the inner portions to see how the smoke penetrated beyond the outter skin? Might save you from throwing away some cheese? Let us know how it goes.
      sigpic

Comment

Do you think your temp was to low.

I've smoked cheese at temps of 60 to 80 nothing higher.
        sigpic

22’ kettle
        5 burner gas grill
        Anova
        Hobart Meat Grinder 4822 series
        F.Dick 12 Ltr. Sausage Stuffer

There's only two types of Beer: Cold and Free.
        _____
        Jim

Comment

Originally posted by Fishawn View Post
          Just my thoughts here: 2 hours with Hickory might have been too long, and Hickory can be pretty strong on cheese IMO. The MES has a pretty limited air flow/exhaust system, from my experience with an older 30" years ago, which can really pound the smoke to the cheese. And from my experience using one, they tend to build up quite a bit of humidity inside, which IMO is also something you do not want when smoking cheese. IMO, air flow is really important (intake and exhaust) when smoking cheese, so it does not get "oversmoked".

Maybe cut off the outter portion/skin and taste test the inner portions to see how the smoke penetrated beyond the outter skin? Might save you from throwing away some cheese? Let us know how it goes.
          Fishawn nailed it in my opinion...

Wife and I prefer an hour to hour and half tops pending the wood used, it is all about personal preference.

- Airflow is huge. You can fabricate a cardboard box for cold smoking with descent airflow.

- Use a fruit wood for cheese, again this is our taste preference and opinion: apple, cherry...
          --- --- --- --- --- --- ---
          www.OwensBBQ.com

Comment

At this point I don't know if it's worth trying again. Guess I could leave the door cracked open to ensure more airflow. Or remove the chip dropper from the MES to increase draw. I hate to waste more cheese.

Comment

Originally posted by blackwaterstout View Post
              At this point I don't know if it's worth trying again. Guess I could leave the door cracked open to ensure more airflow. Or remove the chip dropper from the MES to increase draw. I hate to waste more cheese.
              Tip: Try 1 pound next time Hmmm you can pull that feed? That might be brilliant...
              In God I trust- All others pay cash...
              Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
              Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

2 (two) things come to mind(less), hickory is real strong, two hours might be too long and treager pellets suck! (I know 3) Treager pellets are not all one wood, they use some hickory, more filler and hickory oil. Natty chit, only use as a last resort.
                I get my pellets and dust here
                http://www.amazenproducts.com/

Same folk that make the tube smoker, pellets are ALL the wood of name.
                Mark
                sigpic

"Likes smokey old pool rooms, clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?
                Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head!

Comment

Thanks for the suggestions. It sucks that I bought the Treager chips on name recognition because I've heard good things about their smokers. Could've swore I read that it used 100% hickory wood but maybe I was looking at another brand.

Comment

Hmm...not much to add here. As I read your original post I was thinking you did everything perfectly and the cheese was going to be awesome.

I think Ryan may be on to something though...

Originally posted by blackwaterstout View Post
                    I used a new amnps 12" tube with Treager Hickory pellets.
                    Originally posted by Ryan View Post
                    I've never had good luck cold smoking with traeger pellets, always tasted like an ash tray.
                    Since Treager pellets are designed to proved heat and smoke maybe they are not the best choice for cold smoking?

I've used hickory almost every time I have ever smoked cheese. I use the Amazen pellet smoker and Amazen pellets though. I usually fill one row -- maybe just a bit more -- and let them go. Usually lasts about 3 hours. After a 2 week vac pack rest in the fridge the cheese always tastes great.

Don't be afraid to try it again. Try just a pound like Rich said.

Heck, I'd be willing to bet that if each of us gave up smoking because we made something that tasted like crap, there wouldn't be anyone left on the forum.
                    CUHS Metal Shop Reverse Flow
                    UDS 1.0
                    Afterburner
                    Weber Performer
                    Blue Thermapen
                    Thermoworks Smoke with Gateway
                    Thermoworks Chef Alarm
                    Auber Smoker Controller
                    Proud Smoked-Meat Member #88
                    -
                    "All welcome, take what ya need, share what ya know. " -- Richtee, 12/2/2010

Comment

I hear you. Just frustrated that it turned out so bad and I felt like it was going to be awesome. The worst part is that I also bought a 20lb bag of Treager apple pellets based on near perfect Amazon reviews. Now I'll be hesitant to use them.

I bought the tube smoker to use as a supplement for the somewhat weak smoke that's a problem with the MES smokers. Now I'm afraid to use it with an expensive piece of meat like a butt or brisket. Although there are many people that vouch for it so I'll give it a try. Guess I need to buy better pellets.

Comment

Treager pellets suck And I've smoked cheese in my MES many times, absolutely remove the chip dumper to gain more flow, I used maple pellets last time for 2 hours and the finished product was great I've also used hickory and apple with good results. I'd try again with a single pound and see what you think. It can be done in your MES
                        Masterbuilt Stainless Steel 40"
                        Weber 22.5" WSM
                        Weber Performer W/rotisserie X2
                        Weber 22.5" Kettle Silver
                        Weber 22.5" Kettle Gold
                        Weber 1990 22.5" 3 Wheeler
                        Weber 18.5" Kettle
                        Weber 18.5" Bud Light Kettle
                        Weber Smokey Joe
                        GMG Daniel Boone
                        Pit Barrel Cooker
                        Maverick ET 73 and ET 732
                        6X8 A Maze N Smoker and Tube Smoker
                        Fastest Themapen on the market BLACK
                        The Vortex

Comment

I have used 3 different MES units, an MES30" and 2 MES 40s, and as far as I'm concerned a Tube Smoker puts out too dense a smoke for a cabinet that size, unless you use it at a high altitude. I have tried numerous ways to cut the smoke down & never succeeded.
                          So I only use the 5 X 8 AMNPS for smoke in my MES 40.

Bear
                          Vietnam Vet---9th Inf. Div. Mekong Delta (1969)
                          Easy to follow Step By Steps: Pulled Cured Boston Butt Ham and Buckboard Bacon--Smoked Salmon-- Bacon-On-A-Stick--Bacon (Extra Smokey)--Boneless Cured & Smoked Pork Chops & CB--Canadian Bacon & Dried Beef--Ham Twins (Double Smoked)--Double Smoked Hams X 4--Bear Logs (All Beef--Unstuffed)--Smoked Bear Loaf (All Beef-Mild Hot)--Prime Rib (My Best ever)--Another Prime Rib--Chucky (Pulled Beef)--Twin Chuckies--Pork and Beef Spares--Rare Beef (for Sammies)--Raspberry Chiffon Pie---

Mom & 4 Cub litter---Potter County, PA:

Comment

Originally posted by Bearcarver View Post
                            I have used 3 different MES units, an MES30" and 2 MES 40s, and as far as I'm concerned a Tube Smoker puts out too dense a smoke for a cabinet that size, unless you use it at a high altitude. I have tried numerous ways to cut the smoke down & never succeeded.
                            So I only use the 5 X 8 AMNPS for smoke in my MES 40.
                            Bear
                            Mr Bear is right, I should have added I never fill the tube full diameter wise, I just use the bottom (let's say fifth) of it and let it go but we are at a little higher altitude here also.
                            Masterbuilt Stainless Steel 40"
                            Weber 22.5" WSM
                            Weber Performer W/rotisserie X2
                            Weber 22.5" Kettle Silver
                            Weber 22.5" Kettle Gold
                            Weber 1990 22.5" 3 Wheeler
                            Weber 18.5" Kettle
                            Weber 18.5" Bud Light Kettle
                            Weber Smokey Joe
                            GMG Daniel Boone
                            Pit Barrel Cooker
                            Maverick ET 73 and ET 732
                            6X8 A Maze N Smoker and Tube Smoker
                            Fastest Themapen on the market BLACK
                            The Vortex

Comment

I'm in agreement with the guys above, my guess is you had too much smoke going on. And don't give up or you'll be missing out on a wonderful thing.
                              Lang 36 Patio, a few Webers, 2 Eggs, plenty of gadgets and a MES 40 Gen 2.5 electric for bacon and sausage.
                              My best asset however is the inspiration from the members on this forum.

sigpic
                              @SmokinJim52 on Twitter

Comment

Working...
                              X