Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for opinions or recipes for Carne Asada marinade

Good morning all.

I am going to be setting up about 5# of flank steak later today in marinade for a little carne asada grilling session this evening. I thought I would poll the forum on what ingredients y'all use if and when any of you prep beef for this dish.

I have a bro-in-law who lives in Lakeside (So Cali) who has made this often and has told me in the past that most all of the taco shacks, trucks & huts all over San Diego County utilize Tampico as the main component of their seasoning soaks. Add to that a 1-2 lime halves that have been squeezed of their juice, a handful of cilantro chopped, veg oil of whatever is on hand, a sliced white onion or 2, beer and some salt & pepper. Never could get measurements out of any of the cooks he was able to get to share their ingredients though.

Anyone care to share their mix?
    ==============

Drinking is like playing golf... you'd best be prepared to play every club in your bag.

Steve the Bartender

There are no bad briskets... only poorly executed ones.

Steve the Food Man

This one I stole from GOT14U

This traditional Mexican Carne Asada marinade recipe will marinade 5-6 pounds of meat and can be easily halved or doubled.
    • 1/4 cup vegetable oil
    • 1/2 cup red wine vinegar (can substitute with white vinegar)?
    • 1/3 cup lime juice (can substitute with lemon juice)?
    • 1/3 cup orange juice?
    • 1 cup water?
    • 2 tablespoons peeled fresh garlic - crushed?
    • 1 tablespoons white pepper?
    • 1 1/2 tablespoons salt?
    • 1 tablespoon ground cumin?
    • 1 tablespoon chili powder?
    • 1 tablespoon Mexican oregano?
    • 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves?
    • 1/2 orange, sliced?
    • 1/4 bunch cilantro, chopped (no stems)
    Combine all ingredients in a large bowl and whisk to combine. To use with beef, place beef in gallon sized freezer bag or in the bottom of a shallow baking dish. Pour carne asada marinade on top of beef, cover dish or close bag, and marinate beef for at least 1 hour before grilling.
    Mark
    sigpic

"Likes smokey old pool rooms, clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?
    Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head!

Comment

Originally posted by The Great White North View Post
      ..... most all of the taco shacks, trucks & huts all over San Diego County utilize Tampico as the main component of their seasoning soaks. Add to that a 1-2 lime halves that have been squeezed of their juice, a handful of cilantro chopped, veg oil of whatever is on hand, a sliced white onion or 2, beer and some salt & pepper....
      i'm guessing your talking about the fruit punch drink...........there is a tampico spice company in so cal as well.

the last one i did i took a large rough chopped onion, a head of garlic,3 jalapenos, 2 limes juiced, a full bunch of cilantro, salt, pepper, mexican oregano (do not sub mediterranean), very little cumin, olive oil and a little water to get everything going in a blender and put the meat and marinade in a zip lock for overnight. mine turns out to be more of a loose paste than a liquid like most.....also i don't care for the tang of vinegar or the sweetness of orange juice in my carne asada.........tip, i beat the hell outta my beef before i marinate with a large mallet.

here is the last one i did..
      http://www.smoked-meat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=43534
      sigpic
      it's all good my friend..........

Comment

Yes chefrob, I did mean Tampico orange drink. I have also used Sunny D (the regular flavor) and it works as well.

I always mechanically tenderize my beef prior to any marination by using a Jaccard nowadays. A meat mallet used to be my go to method, but I ran into too many occasions where thickness was compromised in doing so. It does still work for Carne Asada as thin strips are the end form of the beef being served, but I can control doneness better by grilling the cuts whole and then slicing or chopping to serve after resting just prior to serving.
        ==============

Drinking is like playing golf... you'd best be prepared to play every club in your bag.

Steve the Bartender

Steve the Food Man

Comment

Originally posted by Mark R View Post
          This one I stole from GOT14U

This traditional Mexican Carne Asada marinade recipe will marinade 5-6 pounds of meat and can be easily halved or doubled.

• 1/4 cup vegetable oil

• 1/2 cup red wine vinegar (can substitute with white vinegar)?

• 1/3 cup lime juice (can substitute with lemon juice)?

• 1/3 cup orange juice?

• 1 cup water?

• 2 tablespoons peeled fresh garlic - crushed?

• 1 tablespoons white pepper?

• 1 1/2 tablespoons salt?

• 1 tablespoon ground cumin?

• 1 tablespoon chili powder?

• 1 tablespoon Mexican oregano?

• 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves?

• 1/2 orange, sliced?

• 1/4 bunch cilantro, chopped (no stems)

Combine all ingredients in a large bowl and whisk to combine. To use with beef, place beef in gallon sized freezer bag or in the bottom of a shallow baking dish. Pour carne asada marinade on top of beef, cover dish or close bag, and marinate beef for at least 1 hour before grilling.

Not because I posted this do I think it's good. I have done extensive testing with my wife and her family (all from Mexico) and hands down this is what takes the cake.
          This recipe is actually mad coyote joes recipe by the way. He had a cooking show here in Phoenix that use to run on Saturdays. I can't remember if I tweaked it a bit or not. You can leave out garlic and just use granulated and so on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
          Jerod
          GOT-Q-4-U bbq team
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by GOT14U View Post
            Not because I posted this do I think it's good. I have done extensive testing with my wife and her family (all from Mexico) and hands down this is what takes the cake.
            This recipe is actually mad coyote joes recipe by the way. He had a cooking show here in Phoenix that use to run on Saturdays. I can't remember if I tweaked it a bit or not. You can leave out garlic and just use granulated and so on.

Jerod, I was wondering about the ? marks. I stole it in 2014, don't remember?
            Mark
            sigpic

"Likes smokey old pool rooms, clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?

Comment

Looking for opinions or recipes for Carne Asada marinade

Originally posted by Mark R View Post
              Jerod, I was wondering about the ? marks. I stole it in 2014, don't remember?

I have no clue. What's funny is I was looking for this about a month ago. I usually just do it from memory now a days but someone asked for it. I searched but couldn't find it. Now I got it again, thanks man!

Jerod
              GOT-Q-4-U bbq team
              sigpic

Comment

I have no clue. What's funny is I was looking for this about a month ago. I usually just do it from memory now a days but someone asked for it. I searched but couldn't find it. Now I got it again, thanks man!

Funny how it comes round sometimes.
                Mark
                sigpic

Comment

Juice from a can of jalapenos, some salt and dried oregano. Let it sit overnight for best results.

Comment

This recipe is actually mad coyote joes recipe by the way. He had a cooking show here in Phoenix that use to run on Saturdays....
                    i remember him.........
                    sigpic
                    it's all good my friend..........

Comment

Originally posted by chefrob View Post
                      i remember him.........

I got to build some houses right next to his. Gotta chat with him everyday. He's what got me into smokin some 14 years ago.

Jerod
                      GOT-Q-4-U bbq team
                      sigpic

Comment

This is a recipe a friend gave me for a run for Smoked Lamb Barbacoa, the ingredients are pretty similar to what has been posted and I'm thinking you could add your liquid of choice to turn it into a marinade

Comment

Barbacoa is more a stewed type meat. To die for but definitely different then carne asada. But I must say that looks like a killer recipe

Jerod
                          GOT-Q-4-U bbq team
                          sigpic

Comment

So this is what I ginned up from what I remember of him making it a few years back, plus asking him about prep and soak time...

Carne Asada Beef Marinade & Grill

Ingredients

Plenty of beer to maintain proper hydration during prep, grilling & serving
                            4-5# beef cuts (flank, skirt, round, bottom sirloin).
                            8 C. regular Tampico or Sunny D punch,
                            16 ounces of FLAT beer, pilsner or lager style, the more hops the better.
                            4 ounces (½ C.) vegetable oil.
                            Ό C to 5 TBSP. lime juice.
                            1-2 TBSP. white vinegar or to taste, see marinade instructions next.
                            1 each lime & white onion, cut thinly into whole slices.
                            1 bunch cilantro or Mexican oregano, stems only, chopped fine.
                            ½ of a head of garlic (or 6 larger cloves) peeled, smashed & minced fine.
                            1 round tsp. Ground cumin, smoked if possible.
                            1 heaping TBSP. Fresh finely-ground black pepper.

Marinade Instructions

*Add Tampico/Sunny D, cumin & oil separately first in a blender or use a hand blender in the bucket and blend until fully homogenized. Add beer & lime juice and mix again until well blended.
                            *Add remaining ingredients (minus vinegar) to bucket and mix until well blended. Add vinegar to taste to boost acidity and bite if needed.
                            *Trim beef of any excessive fat. Slice ALONG the grain to medium thin strips or leave as whole cuts for grilling to slice before serving. Add to bucket and stir in until everything is combined and all beef is coated.
                            *Cover and refrigerate for 6 hours minimum, but 24+ hours or “a day ahead” is ideal. Agitate beef vigorously every 2 hours or so during soak to redistribute. If grilling whole cuts to slice before serving 24 hours is a minimum soaking time recommended. Remove beef and rinse briefly if needed to remove any marinade solids. Cover beef and bring to room temp before grilling.

We will see in a few hours how well things go...
                            ==============

Steve the Bartender

Steve the Food Man

Comment

Originally posted by The Great White North View Post
                              So this is what I ginned up from what I remember of him making it a few years back, plus asking him about prep and soak time...

Carne Asada Beef Marinade & Grill

Ingredients

Plenty of beer to maintain proper hydration during prep, grilling & serving

4-5# beef cuts (flank, skirt, round, bottom sirloin).

8 C. regular Tampico or Sunny D punch,

16 ounces of FLAT beer, pilsner or lager style, the more hops the better.

4 ounces (½ C.) vegetable oil.

Ό C to 5 TBSP. lime juice.

1-2 TBSP. white vinegar or to taste, see marinade instructions next.

1 each lime & white onion, cut thinly into whole slices.

1 bunch cilantro or Mexican oregano, stems only, chopped fine.

½ of a head of garlic (or 6 larger cloves) peeled, smashed & minced fine.

1 round tsp. Ground cumin, smoked if possible.

1 heaping TBSP. Fresh finely-ground black pepper.

Marinade Instructions

*Add Tampico/Sunny D, cumin & oil separately first in a blender or use a hand blender in the bucket and blend until fully homogenized. Add beer & lime juice and mix again until well blended.

*Add remaining ingredients (minus vinegar) to bucket and mix until well blended. Add vinegar to taste to boost acidity and bite if needed.

*Trim beef of any excessive fat. Slice ALONG the grain to medium thin strips or leave as whole cuts for grilling to slice before serving. Add to bucket and stir in until everything is combined and all beef is coated.

*Cover and refrigerate for 6 hours minimum, but 24+ hours or “a day ahead” is ideal. Agitate beef vigorously every 2 hours or so during soak to redistribute. If grilling whole cuts to slice before serving 24 hours is a minimum soaking time recommended. Remove beef and rinse briefly if needed to remove any marinade solids. Cover beef and bring to room temp before grilling.

We will see in a few hours how well things go...

I got stuck at step one with the beer. Kinda like a scratched CD that keeps repeating.

Comment

Working...
                              X