WM is tempting me...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WM is tempting me...

While shopping at WalMart, I decided to cruise the BBQ & Grill area to see if they had any good deals. I saw they had one Okie Joe Highland for $140.

Not a bad price. The tuning plates, gaskets, exhaust, and firebox mods are easier to swallow then. I have not had a stick burner. I have only used Webber kettles and watt burners. Oh and a Chargriller Akorn (not a fan).

I am going to my cabin this weekend. When I get back on Sunday I will return to WM. If it is still there it was meant to be.
    Last edited by AJ; 04-15-2018, 08:05 PM.

$140 is a steal, go back young Mon!!!
    Mark
    sigpic

"Likes smokey old pool rooms, clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?
    Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head!

Comment

A lotta good food can be smoked on a rig like that... Do it
      Craig
      sigpic

Comment

good looking rig...$268 on the walmart website. Pretty surprised it isn't already at your place.
        BBQ Eng.

The "Cow Girls" were adopted from the shelter, and found on petfinder.com.
        Adopt a homeless pet - http://www.petfinder.com
        I built the Iron Maiden - Iron Maiden Smoker Build

Over 5000 unreadable posts...Photobucket can kiss my ass...they will never get a dime. I will not pay a ransom.

Comment

Yup, it would be mine if I saw one at that price.
          Bored Guy Blog

Comment

Looks like that boat may have sailed, I would double check and grab it if possible.

I have been looking at those for a while but waiting for funds to support the cause.

Good luck.

Comment

Ok, enough arm twisting you guys. I got back from the cabin and went back to WM. It was still there. It is now in the back of my truck. Tax, license, dealer added prep, under coating, and pin striping came out to $150 out the door. I will hold off on the assembly until the mods arrive. Tuning plates, gaskets, etc., are going on this thing. WooHoo my first stick burner.

Comment

Nice

Comment

Cool! Did you buy the extended warranty

Will be cool to see how you like it. I have never cooked on one, butt wood love to some day

Keep us updated
                  sigpic

Comment

Congrats bro! Good luck with it, I'm sure you be crankin' oot some good Q with it!

Drinks well with others

~ P4 ~

Comment

One of the stores around here has one down to 160 so out the door $175.00.

Just the wrong time .....

Can't wait to see the mods

Comment

I ordered the tuning plates today from BBQ Smoker Mods. I have a tube of food grade silicone on the way from Amazon, so I will be able to start the assembly later this week. The plan is to caulk every seam and gasket the door openings. I'll also extend the exhaust to the grate level. I looked at the coal baskets for the fire box and I can make my own for a lot less, so it will be fab time. Oh and add the silicone bung for the temp probes.

here is the list of stuff to do:
                        tuning plates
                        exhaust
                        gaskets
                        grommet
                        fire box coal basket

Comment

I assembled the Highland yesterday. I used high temp silicone between the firebox and the cook chamber. It should not leak in there now. I also added a bead between the top and bottom parts of the firebox. I also installed the tuning plates. I have the coal basket parts cut and laid out now, just to weld them together and it's ready to use. I need to clean up the door seals on both the cook chamber and firebox. Then apply the gaskets and it should be ready to go. I will also make the wheels fit better. They are a tad too sloppy fitting for my taste.

Comment

Ok, so I finally finished the charcoal basket. It is 1" angle with 10ga expanded metal on the bottom and around the perimeter. It should last a while.

I bought the tuning plates and installed them as well.

I added a gasket around the FB lid and used some high temp silicone around the cook chamber door to seal it off. I wiped the main chamber sealing area with veggy oil and laid a bead of silicone to the door then closed the door and let it sit over night. It should be ready to fire up in a day or so.
                            Last edited by AJ; 04-15-2018, 08:05 PM.

Comment

Working...
                            X