Anyone got a good recipe for a rub?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone got a good recipe for a rub?

Trying to shake things up a bit, and get away from using so many pre-made rubs except for MH of course. I am doing up a chuckie and was wondering if anyone had a good beef rub? I have a lot of spices so feel free to comment even if you have one with loads of ingredients. The only thing I ask is little to no sugar. Or if you can point me to one in this section that would be cool as well. Thanks in advance.

All I ever use on Beef---Brisket, Chuckies, Prime Rib is the following.

Coat with Lea & Perrins Bold Steak Sauce (Formerly known as Worcestershire "Thick".
    Then CBP, Garlic Powder, and Onion Powder. (Salt is an option---I no longer use it).

Bear
    Vietnam Vet---9th Inf. Div. Mekong Delta (1969)
    Easy to follow Step By Steps: Pulled Cured Boston Butt Ham and Buckboard Bacon--Smoked Salmon-- Bacon-On-A-Stick--Bacon (Extra Smokey)--Boneless Cured & Smoked Pork Chops & CB--Canadian Bacon & Dried Beef--Ham Twins (Double Smoked)--Double Smoked Hams X 4--Bear Logs (All Beef--Unstuffed)--Smoked Bear Loaf (All Beef-Mild Hot)--Prime Rib (My Best ever)--Another Prime Rib--Chucky (Pulled Beef)--Twin Chuckies--Pork and Beef Spares--Rare Beef (for Sammies)--Raspberry Chiffon Pie---

Mom & 4 Cub litter---Potter County, PA:

Comment

I heard you could get a good rub and sauce recipe over on SMF

ooo... and it now includes "Jeff's Texas Style Rub" recipe.
      Mike
      Life In Pit Row

Comment

On a serious note, I like this one on beef, though it's been a while since I made it. I should do that again. No idea where I found it anymore. It's not overly sweet from what I recall.

Coffee Rub for Rib Eye
        -1 tablespoon ground coffee
        -2 tablespoons kosher salt (this recipe uses Diamond Crystal -- you may want to reduce the salt to taste, especially if using Morton's Kosher or other finer salt)
        -2 teaspoons dark brown sugar
        -1 teaspoon smoked paprika
        -1 tablespoon coarse ground black pepper
        -1 teaspoon ground cumin
        -1 teaspoon hot red pepper flakes (preferably Ancho chile)

Mix the coffee, salt, paprika, peppers, and cumin together and toast lightly in pan until fragrant (alternatively you can toast whole spices then grind). Mix the spices with the sugar to make the rub.
        Mike
        Life In Pit Row

Comment

Trying to keep the sugar down, this is my second favorite rub:

Ingredients:
          • 1/2 cup paprika
          • 1/4 cup kosher salt, finely ground
          • 1/4 cup sugar (you can sub in brown sugar)
          • 2 tablespoons mustard powder
          • 1/4 cup chili powder
          • 1/4 cup ground cumin
          • 2 tablespoons ground black pepper
          • 1/4 cup granulated garlic
          • 2 tablespoons cayenne

We use this on Fries as well. Good all around rub, generally called Magic Dust.

My all time favorite on beef is what I call Tri-Tip rub but it's a little heavier on the BS.
          Pete
          Large BGE
          Char Broil Tru-Infrared Commercial series

Comment

This is the best all round rub recipe I've found. Increase or decrease any of the ingredients to whatever flavor you like.

http://www.letstalkbbq.com/index.php?topic=1160.0
            7 Foot X 20" Pipe BBQ pit with offset firebox
            Weber EX6 Smokefire
            Masterbuilt 40" Sportsman Elite gasser
            90 Qt LOCO Crawfish Cooker
            Everything else burned up in my house fire

Comment

Originally posted by PitRow View Post
              I heard you could get a good rub and sauce recipe over on SMF
              I have that one and am willing to sell it.

Pete, I like the one you posted and may just try that sometime.

Here's one for Montreal Steak seasoning I got from somebody on here years ago.

2 TBSP Paprika
              2 TBSP Kosher Salt
              2 TBSP Crushed Black Pepper
              1TBSP Granulated Garlic
              1 TBSP Granulated Onion
              1 TBSP Crushed Coriander
              1 TBSP Dill Seed
              1 TBSP Crushed Red Pepper Flakes
              Lang 36 Patio, a few Webers, 2 Eggs, plenty of gadgets and a MES 40 Gen 2.5 electric for bacon and sausage.
              My best asset however is the inspiration from the members on this forum.

sigpic
              @SmokinJim52 on Twitter

Comment

I've always liked the big bad beef rub from amazing ribs
                http://amazingribs.com/recipes/rubs_..._beef_rub.html
                Usually my go to if I'm not using a store bought rub.
                sigpic

Comment

Check your PM's
                  Craig
                  sigpic

Comment

Tatonka dust is a really good go to. Rich's "just add beef" is another lovely option.

Seems like a central theme to most recipes is black pepper, garlic powder, onion powder. Perhaps salt but that is questionable. Most ask for paprika, chili powder, etc. To liven up the flavor. however, their presence is not appreciated at the end in my opinion unless you use a larger amount.

Salt, pepper, garlic, and onion are a beef staple and should be respected as such. Use that as a base and add ingredients to your liking. Surprisingly, Oregano is rather complimentary to beef but I don't recommend it in a rub. To me it gets kinda stinky as it cooks in a smoke environment. Oregano and basil ground down can be sprinkled after cooking to produce wonderful flavors as the meld with the juice of the beef. Think mild sprinkle right after you remove from the smoker to blend during a resting period. (the beef, not you). Thyme and Rosemary of course, are good in small doses at the end of the cook. I have never been able to master them during a long smoking session. their delicate aromas seem to get lost in the smoke flavor so I use them at the end if desired. Again, end cook spices get powdered down for ease of application and dissolution.

some folk slather beef with mustard prior to adding their rub but in my opinion, that is poor science as most mustards are essentially water based whereas many seasonings lend themselves to an oil environment. some use mayo for that reason but I feel neither is really necessary. Trim out the beef. Apply the rub the night before and wrap tightly with plastic wrap. the natural oils in the meat will help to dissolve the rub into the surface. A big cut like a beef clod is helped along with an injection of your choosing. If smoking use a hearty wood but go light on your volume of smoke. Light fruit woods will get lost in the beef flavor. Red Oak, Pecan, Hickory, and Mesquite are good choices that will compliment your rub.

Good luck. Feel free to ship tasty leftovers to Tulsa. I have been away from my smoker for FAR too many days.
                    sigpic

Some days I think Bravo Zulu, other days it's more like Whiskey Tango Foxtrot...

Comment

Thanks people these are all great giving me a lot to play with. I love it.

Comment

Originally posted by Ryan View Post
                        I've always liked the big bad beef rub from amazing ribs
                        http://amazingribs.com/recipes/rubs_..._beef_rub.html
                        Usually my go to if I'm not using a store bought rub.
                        I also use meathead's cow crust with my prime rib. This doesn't have salt in it as the prime rib is previously salted in this recipe. This will allow you to salt to taste.
                        BBQ Eng.

The "Cow Girls" were adopted from the shelter, and found on petfinder.com.
                        Adopt a homeless pet - http://www.petfinder.com
                        I built the Iron Maiden - Iron Maiden Smoker Build

Over 5000 unreadable posts...Photobucket can kiss my ass...they will never get a dime. I will not pay a ransom.

Comment

Going to mix up a couple of these! Thank you!!!

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Comment

I mostly like my meat naked
                            Salt 'n' Pepper works for me. Minus the salt. Except for when I use it.
                            Anything else just clouds the issue
                            sigpic
                            Fully Accessorized Primo XL Oval,
                            -BBQ GURU DigiQ DX2,
                            -AMNPS
                            -And various other do-dads, gimmicks,
                            gizmos and hornswaggles

Comment

Originally posted by gracoman View Post
                              I mostly like my meat naked
                              Salt 'n' Pepper works for me. Minus the salt. Except for when I use it.
                              Anything else just clouds the issue
                              Yup, just some S&P.

Comment

Working...
                              X