London Calling

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• London Calling

Hello from England. I've just been surprised by my missis with a metal bomb shaped thing called a frontier Pro Q and she's expecting some smokey miracles!
    I'm an average outdoor cook suffering from the UK's notoriously short bbq season so would appreciate any tips for the begginner. I'm going to start with a chicken because I know what one looks like. HELP! And yes, I have a metal thing to stick up the chickens arse so it can sit up straight. Do I need to coat the inside of the smoker with cooking oil??

Cheers H

Hahaha.. welcome to Smoked-Meat...

kinda a Weber WSM copy... I'd not recommend a beer butt chicken, unless ya use it in grill mode. I WOULD recommend a brine however for a "yardbird" (chicken) smoke. Keep yer temps up...300+

And a good heat up to burn off any nasties and a spray in the late stages of some cooking oil would be a good idea.
    In God I trust- All others pay cash...
    Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
    Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

from Kentucky! You came to the right place to learn...lots of knowledgeable and nice folks here!
      Becky

https://www.facebook.com/jennie.r.smith.77?ref=tn_tnmn

Weber 22.5" One Touch Gold Kettle - Black
      Weber 22.5" One Touch Gold Kettle - Copper
      1993 Weber 22.5" Master Touch Kettle - Red
      Weber 18.5" One Touch Silver Kettle - Budweiser
      Weber Smokey Joe
      Multiple Dutch Ovens and other Cast Iron
      Pink Thermapen
      Purple Thermapen

Comment

Welcome from Florida!
        Rich steered you right.
        Mark
        sigpic

"Likes smokey old pool rooms, clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?
        Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head!

Comment

from New Jersey.
          Lang 36 Patio, a few Webers, 2 Eggs, plenty of gadgets and a MES 40 Gen 2.5 electric for bacon and sausage.
          My best asset however is the inspiration from the members on this forum.

sigpic
          @SmokinJim52 on Twitter

Comment

Ya, a good 300f+ burn for an hour with nothing cooking, let cool down then a spray of vegetable oil. Then another hour. Then good to go!

Don't trust the temp gauge, it can be off at least 20c since it's a knockoff.

Gonna be good when you figger it out, Smoked meat no matter it a chicken or pork or ribs is a magic thing!

Comment

from Kansas
              Craig
              sigpic

Comment

Once you go Weber....you never call customer service....

Comment

welcome...
                  ~All that is gold does not glitter ~ Not all those that wander are lost~
                  ~20" Yoder "Swiss Army Knife" Stick Burner~

Comment

from Utah
                    Masterbuilt Stainless Steel 40"
                    Weber 22.5" WSM
                    Weber Performer W/rotisserie X2
                    Weber 22.5" Kettle Silver
                    Weber 22.5" Kettle Gold
                    Weber 1990 22.5" 3 Wheeler
                    Weber 18.5" Kettle
                    Weber 18.5" Bud Light Kettle
                    Weber Smokey Joe
                    GMG Daniel Boone
                    Pit Barrel Cooker
                    Maverick ET 73 and ET 732
                    6X8 A Maze N Smoker and Tube Smoker
                    Fastest Themapen on the market BLACK
                    The Vortex

Comment

Welcome from Dayton!! Now go smoke some meat!!
                      Brian

Certified Sausage & Pepper Head
                      Yoder YS640
                      Weber Genesis
                      Weber 18.5" Kettle
                      Weber Performer
                      Misfit # 1899

sigpic

Comment

beer can chicken is great.
                        But use a beer can filled with apple juice and garlic, rather than a metal thing you can't fill with anything :-)

The apple juice keeps the chicken moist as it evaporates and gives a great flavour as well.

The bbq season isn't that short - mine starts around april and extends to september. That said I have bbq'd both in the snow before now and at the end of november for my birthday :-)
                        :-)

No idea what bbq you've got. is it gas/electric/charcoal ?

Ah ha - charcoal - kind of like asmall uds type thing.

Make sure you get some decent briquettes. not sure if you have Home Bargains shops in the Barbarian Lands (everywhere south of Birmingham)
                        But hands down the best briquettes I've ever used are their cotton tree charcoal briquettes. Long burn, not too much heat, zero binder smell and they give off a real pleaant smoke odour. Which most briquettes don't do.

this stuff: http://www.homebargains.co.uk/produc...s-5kg-bag.aspx

failing that the morrisons own brand aren't too bad and they do pretty decent lumpwood charcoal. Which lights easier and burns hotter - just doesn't burn for very long.

For the longer slower smoking type bbq you want decent briquettes.

under no circumstances whatsoever should you use lighter fluid or gel !!!
                        No never ever ever !
                        Probably a good idea to invest in a charcol chimney if you don't already have one. I use a looft lighter - but I like gadgets :-)
                        Mind you the original; looft lighters have got really hard to come by. This chinese (presumably) knock off looks pretty good.
                        http://www.amazon.co.uk/Spares2go-El...=looft+lighter
                        I think i only paid £40 for my looft lighter. Brilliant bit of kit - review round here somewhere: http://www.smoked-meat.com/forum/sho...t=looft&page=2

damn looks like I've had mine over 3 years now. But wouldn't be without one now, that's for sure
                        Last edited by curious aardvark; 05-06-2015, 10:47 AM.
                        Made In England - Fine Tuned By The USA
                        Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

From across the pond in Central California!

The only one on the block with the super fastest turbo charged

Comment

Welcome aboard!

Another trick I learned long in extending the BBQ season with those type of smokers is all about the water pan.

When it gets cold, forget the water. Line the water pan with HD foil (just makes clean up easier) and fill with play ground sand. You can also put a layer of foil on top of the sand for any drips/clean up. That way, you can use the sand indefinitely.

The water pan is just a buffer for indirect heat. Using sand is like using a ceramic smoker in other words. You can keep higher temps in cold weather and even in the summer, never a need to refill the pan and use less fuel.

This is the smoker I use the sand in, so it's very similar:

Pete
                            Large BGE
                            Char Broil Tru-Infrared Commercial series

Comment

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X