Need help with beef

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help with beef

Hello fellow smokers. I am from Phoenix. I have tried smoking meat chicken and fish and the only thing that really turned out good is the fish. I tried smoking beef brisket and pork butt 2 times and both turned out tough and unlike they turnout when making in the crockpot.

I smoke a whole fryer chicken and that came out "ok". It was done according to my thermometer(a very good one) but yet looked very pink and wasn't appetizing at all, and certainly didn't fall out the bone easily.
    Probably b/c I felt like I was eating rawish chicken. LOL

I have a tri tip roast thawing and am cooking soon so I need some help with it. Its 2.5 lbs and has lots of marbling.

Thanks, Mark

Mark to Smoked-Meat

The TT should be an easy smoke as it only cooks to medium to medium rare for most folks taste...Brisket and butts are a whole different game...Stick around and we will teach you how to master them also...
    Craig
    sigpic

Comment

Craig, should I marinate it first? and what temp is best for this cut? Thanks, Mark

Comment

I dont marinate...Some do...TT is an awesome cut of beef that just needs some salt and pepper and smoke or indirect grill till internal temp is to your liking...I go to 135 usually...
        Craig
        sigpic

Comment

by 135 you mean the ending temp or the smoking temp of the smoker? I always read 200-225.

Comment

Someone posted this before (I forget who so I can't give proper credit) and I find it to be very helpful. Although it is a little outdated, pork no longer has to go to 160 degrees. http://www.deejayssmokepit.net/Downl...emperature.pdf

Also, welcome aboard.
            Chris
            WSM 22.5"
            Weber Performer 22.5"

Comment

Originally posted by azmarktb View Post
              by 135 you mean the ending temp or the smoking temp of the smoker? I always read 200-225.
              Internal temp of the meat will be 135...Smoker is at 250 or what ever temp yer cookin at...
              Craig
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by cmon621 View Post
                Someone posted this before (I forget who so I can't give proper credit) and I find it to be very helpful. Although it is a little outdated, pork no longer has to go to 160 degrees. http://www.deejayssmokepit.net/Downl...emperature.pdf

Also, welcome aboard.

Yes, USDA changed the safe temp of Pork from 160° to 145° IT, about 4 years ago.

Bear
                Vietnam Vet---9th Inf. Div. Mekong Delta (1969)
                Easy to follow Step By Steps: Pulled Cured Boston Butt Ham and Buckboard Bacon--Smoked Salmon-- Bacon-On-A-Stick--Bacon (Extra Smokey)--Boneless Cured & Smoked Pork Chops & CB--Canadian Bacon & Dried Beef--Ham Twins (Double Smoked)--Double Smoked Hams X 4--Bear Logs (All Beef--Unstuffed)--Smoked Bear Loaf (All Beef-Mild Hot)--Prime Rib (My Best ever)--Another Prime Rib--Chucky (Pulled Beef)--Twin Chuckies--Pork and Beef Spares--Rare Beef (for Sammies)--Raspberry Chiffon Pie---

Mom & 4 Cub litter---Potter County, PA:

Comment

from Kentucky! What type of smoker are you using?
                  Becky

https://www.facebook.com/jennie.r.smith.77?ref=tn_tnmn

Weber 22.5" One Touch Gold Kettle - Black
                  Weber 22.5" One Touch Gold Kettle - Copper
                  1993 Weber 22.5" Master Touch Kettle - Red
                  Weber 18.5" One Touch Silver Kettle - Budweiser
                  Weber Smokey Joe
                  Multiple Dutch Ovens and other Cast Iron
                  Pink Thermapen
                  Purple Thermapen

Comment

Originally posted by Bearcarver View Post
                    Yes, USDA changed the safe temp of Pork from 160° to 145° IT, about 4 years ago.
                    But..it ain't gonna pull if that's yer plan. You need a butt/shoulder to hit 200-ish for that. And to heck with that 225 cooking temp for big hunks..250 275.
                    In God I trust- All others pay cash...
                    Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
                    Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Originally posted by Richtee View Post
                      But..it ain't gonna pull if that's yer plan. You need a butt/shoulder to hit 200-ish for that. And to heck with that 225 cooking temp for big hunks..250 275.
                      I think he is talking about a tri tip...Not pork...

But I agree that TT can be cooked hotter than 225...When cookin them on the kettle Im sure the temp is quite a bit higher...In a smoker I have kept temps around 250 just to get some smoke flavor on it...
                      Craig
                      sigpic

Comment

Too many different things being thrown around here.

I confirmed Safe Pork is 145° IT.
                        Rich wants to pull his meat.
                        Craig is smoking the Mythical Tri Tip.

Bear
                        Vietnam Vet---9th Inf. Div. Mekong Delta (1969)
                        Easy to follow Step By Steps: Pulled Cured Boston Butt Ham and Buckboard Bacon--Smoked Salmon-- Bacon-On-A-Stick--Bacon (Extra Smokey)--Boneless Cured & Smoked Pork Chops & CB--Canadian Bacon & Dried Beef--Ham Twins (Double Smoked)--Double Smoked Hams X 4--Bear Logs (All Beef--Unstuffed)--Smoked Bear Loaf (All Beef-Mild Hot)--Prime Rib (My Best ever)--Another Prime Rib--Chucky (Pulled Beef)--Twin Chuckies--Pork and Beef Spares--Rare Beef (for Sammies)--Raspberry Chiffon Pie---

Mom & 4 Cub litter---Potter County, PA:

Comment

Originally posted by SMOKE FREAK View Post

But I agree that TT can be cooked hotter than 225...When cookin them on the kettle Im sure the temp is quite a bit higher...In a smoker I have kept temps around 250 just to get some smoke flavor on it...
                          That's the key right there in my opinion as well. Keep the temp down on TT, throw some smoke on it, then sear to the temp you desire. 130 degrees works for me or even less.

And by the way from New Jersey.
                          Lang 36 Patio, a few Webers, 2 Eggs, plenty of gadgets and a MES 40 Gen 2.5 electric for bacon and sausage.
                          My best asset however is the inspiration from the members on this forum.

sigpic
                          @SmokinJim52 on Twitter

Comment

1. What are you cookin in?
                            That the first question, need to know that afore bouncing other solutions about.
                            Mark
                            sigpic

"Likes smokey old pool rooms, clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?
                            Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head!

Comment

Originally posted by Mark R View Post
                              1. What are you cookin in?
                              That the first question, need to know that afore bouncing other solutions about.
                              Hope its not an electric ECB...
                              Craig
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X