I need suggestions and help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I need suggestions and help

I have recently built a smoker in my welding class. I made a minor mistake instead of making a separate door to access the coals I made two large doors on both sides to access the meat and the coals (it's basically a big box). The grating on the inside also move up and down. I was wondering what the best way to keep the temperature up would be (I haven't tried it out yet to see how much it drops), and I was wondering methods of knowing the temperature without using a thermometer because the grating changes positions. Also the best method for smoking. (It is 4'x2'x30")

Welcome to Smoked-Meat. And some pix would be worth more than me postulating on that description. Maybe arrows and circles too
    In God I trust- All others pay cash...
    Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
    Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Here are some pictures

Hope these help... Also there is no ventilation except cracks between the door and the frame.... Would you suggest I add some and if so how much
      Attached Files

Comment

More pics

This is the outside
        Attached Files

Comment

The grating goes up and down that rail on the side
          Attached Files

Comment

Looks neat! Do you have an exhaust vent if so where's it located?
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Ryan View Post
              Looks neat! Do you have an exhaust vent if so where's it located?
              I still need to figure that out, any suggestions??

Comment

I've got an idea but take it for what you paid for it, I'm not a builder. We have some here that'll chime in. If it was mine and I was a welder, I'd put a firebox below the smoke chamber. Connect the firebox with 2 big pipes to the smoke chamber. One on each end. Put a damper in each of those pipes. You could then control it to have it hotter on one side or the same. Put the exhaust in the center. This way you could still put a fire on the bottom of the smoke chamber to use it as a grill.
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Ryan View Post
                  I've got an idea but take it for what you paid for it, I'm not a builder. We have some here that'll chime in. If it was mine and I was a welder, I'd put a firebox below the smoke chamber. Connect the firebox with 2 big pipes to the smoke chamber. One on each end. Put a damper in each of those pipes. You could then control it to have it hotter on one side or the same. Put the exhaust in the center. This way you could still put a fire on the bottom of the smoke chamber to use it as a grill.
                  I hate to agree with Ryan but this time I will...

At this point you have a fine charcoal grill...Add a firebox and some vents and you have a smoker
                  Craig
                  sigpic

Comment

x3 it would be easier to put it underneath you could also put a fire box on one of the ends and pipe it in.

You could also cut the doors down and make 3 doors, two dutch style doors like you have and say a 8 inch door at the bottom that swings down to access coals.

There are a few calculators out there to get intake and chimney sizes. depending on the what you do will determine chimney.

Look around at some of the builds and clones around here there are some good ones.

And welcome.

Comment

Working...
                    X