Learning to garden!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Learning to garden!!

I worked in the faimly garden when I was a kid and it went really well, We never grew great stuff but alot of average vegie type things.

No probably 20 years later, I am getting back into it. Planning to grow about 1/2 acre garden at mom and dads. Whole faimly is chipping in. As with all faimly arangements the arguments have started. I was always under the impression the way to prepare the sooil was to get the manure and like into the soil in the fall and till it under then in the spring retill and plant. Pop will not aloow the manure and like on the bed until the day before planting.

Who is right who is wrong and how do we find a medium??

Originally posted by Rio_Grande View Post
    I worked in the faimly garden when I was a kid and it went really well, We never grew great stuff but alot of average vegie type things.

No probably 20 years later, I am getting back into it. Planning to grow about 1/2 acre garden at mom and dads. Whole faimly is chipping in. As with all faimly arangements the arguments have started. I was always under the impression the way to prepare the sooil was to get the manure and like into the soil in the fall and till it under then in the spring retill and plant. Pop will not aloow the manure and like on the bed until the day before planting.

Who is right who is wrong and how do we find a medium??
    Last fall would be better than the day before planting. If it were me, and it is kinda sorta, since I have to do it too. I would try to find rabbit manure and till it under at least 2 weeks before you plant. Then when things get to going good, side dress with a triple superphosphate fertilizer. Don't overdo the fertilizer. You'll burn up the plants.
    If you can get compost from your local city recycling center, I'd put a thick layer of that on, till it under, then side dress with triple fertilizer after everything gets growing. Most compost from the city is free or very cheap. Take advantage of it if you can. We've had very good luck with it.
    Also remember, a small well managed garden will out produce a large neglected garden tenfold.
    Last edited by Gunslinger; 03-28-2009, 10:38 AM.

Tom

Comment

If you wait to add the manure just before you plant, like Gunny said you have a greater chance of burning up your plants... If you can get some compost, I would use add it when turning it under... Add a low nitrogen fertilizer as well..
      Ken

I Should Have Been Rich Instead Of Being So Good Looking

Comment

what these guys said.........we added horse manure last fall, so it can compost.............if you add it in the spring, you WILL burn up the garden....just google it if nutting else.........

let us not cry because we lost someone, but let us smile because we enjoyed their company for what time was allowed us!

Comment

Working...
        X