Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Todays gardening tidbits

Got this in my weekly email from The Old Farmers Almanac;

Here are some planting tips according to the signs of nature. The method is called phenology, derived from the Greek word “phaino,” which means “to show” or “to appear.”

• Plant peas , beets, and lettuce
    when the first leaves appear on the lilac bush.

• Plant corn, beans, and squash
    when the lilac blooms.

• Plant corn when oak leaves are the size of a mouse’s ear or elm leaves are the size of a squirrel’s ear.

• Plant cabbage when the dogwood is in full bloom or when apple blossoms bud.

• Set out tomato transplants when the first ladybugs appear.

Well the idea of the tomato plants just won't work here. True ladybugs showed up a week ago and we still have a long ways to go here before the last average day for a frost goes.
    sigpic

Thanks for posting David.. I do enjoy reading some of the stuff from them..
    Ken

I Should Have Been Rich Instead Of Being So Good Looking

Comment

A great gift is a Farmers Almanac from the same year the gift recipient was born. Especially if they were raised on a farm. I gave my Granny one from 1911 for her 90th birthday. The entire family was there, kids, grandkids, great grandkids, great great grandkids, I mean the ENTIRE family. When she opened my gift, she thumbed through it then stood up and said it was the best gift she has EVER gotten. That was cool because I definitely was not one of Granny's favorites. 4 years later, right before she died, she gave me that Farmers Almanac back and reiterated the same thing she said at the party. Beside the births of my children it was 2 of the greatest moments of my life.
      Last edited by Gunslinger; 03-31-2009, 07:15 PM.

Tom

Comment

Your welcome for posting.

Gunslinger, I believe that was one of the best days of your life and that you will regard that almanac as one of your best possessions.
        sigpic

Comment

We would always wait for the lilacs to bloom, then make a batch of cormeal dough balls and go carp fishin. We didn't keep them, there just fun to catch. I know this has nothing to do with gardening but the lilac part of the farmers almanac reminded me of the day's. I also get the FA e-mails. Interesting stuff.

Comment

Working...
          X