X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Potato container gardening

POTATO CONTAINER GARDENING

POTATO VARIETIES
    White or red varieties are best for boiling or mashing. Russett varieties are great for baking.

* White Potatoes:
    1. IRISH COBBLER
    2. KENNEBEC
    * Red Potatoes:
    1. RED NORLAND
    2. RED PONTIAC
    3. LA SODA
    * Russett Potatoes:
    1. Norgold
    2. Norkotah
    * Yukon Gold Potatoes: (Best boiled or baked)
    * All Blue Potatoes: (Best mashed)
    * Sunspot Potatoes: New low-carb

CONTAINERS
    You can use just about any kind of container, such as large plastic containers, half whiskey barrels, etc. Just make sure your container is at least 15 inches wide by 15 inches deep.

PLANTING DIRECTIONS
    The smaller seed potatoes can be planted whole.The larger ones should be cut into two or three pieces with each piece containing at least one eye. Let the cut pieces dry in a warm humid place for 1 to 2 days before planting them. Put 5 to 6 inches of a soilless potting soil, such as Pro-Mix, in the pot. Set the seed potatoes with the eyes facing up 4 inches apart and 4 inches from the side of the container. Add 2 inches of soilless potting soil over the potatoes. Firm down and water well. Be sure to water 2 to 3 times a week. After new plants are six inches tall, add 3 inches of soilless potting soil to the pot. (Yes, cover up the lower leaves.) Continue this process of letting the plants grow 6 inches each time and covering half of the leaves with soilless potting soil, stopping about 1 inch from the top of the pot. Let the plants grow another 6 inches and add more soilless potting soil. This time forming a mound that is higher in the center than the container’s sides. Leave a depression around the edge of the pot to catch water.

FERTILIZER
    When new plants are three inches tall, start fertilizing with a liquid fertilizer. My favorite is Dyna Green Sure Bloom. Use two tablespoons per gallon of water every two weeks until final harvest.

SUMMER CARE
    Potatoes need a constant supply of water. Uneven watering will cause lumpy misshapen potatoes. After planting water two to three times per week. When hot weather arrives in June water every one to two days.

HARVESTING
    After about two months or when small blossoms appear, the tender new potatoes will be ready for harvest. Gently feel around in the container until you find a potato big enough to eat. Keep feeling around until you get enough for dinner. They will be absolutely delicious. Try not to disturb the roots too much and leave some of the smaller potatoes to reach their full size. When the plants turn yellow and start to dry up it is time for harvest. Pull up the plants and dump out the entire contents. Sift through the soil and remove the potatoes. Don’t wash the potatoes, instead gently brush off the soil and cure by placing them in a humid 70 degree spot for two weeks. Then store in a cool dark place. During storage if the potatoes develop any green sections or sprouts, cut off before cooking.
    sigpic

Lets say you plant in something the size of a half whiskey barrel. How many potatoes can you expect per container?

If you take smaller ones out, do they keep producing until the plant dies.

Comment

Originally posted by JimmyJoeBob View Post
      Lets say you plant in something the size of a half whiskey barrel. How many potatoes can you expect per container?

If you take smaller ones out, do they keep producing until the plant dies.

Good question... But what about our summer heat... That may be a factor as well.. May not perduce in the summer..
      Ken

I Should Have Been Rich Instead Of Being So Good Looking

Comment

I suspect that your right. It maybe tough at 98º-105º temps. I know guys in Canton who do large amounts of red(Irish) and they do good in the ground. Don't think I'll try it.

Comment

Me & Louie gonna give it a go. We'll see what the heat does. She has sweet potatoes that keep regenerating, they are not in a container/box.
          Sunset Eagle Aviation
          https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sunse...888015?fref=ts <... We sure could use some likes!

Comment

For our climate in n.c.-s.c. we planted our seed potatoe on valentines day if the moon signs were right.

Comment

OK, we use 25 gallon feed/protein buckets that get emptied by the cows. After they finish we save them and use them for whatever. They are perfect for potatoes, tomatoes, strawberries, peppers onions and such. Bext thing to do is take them and drill 4 1/2" holes around the edge for drainage. Add about a 1" layer or so of gravel. Then add the dirt like was suggested. The potatoes come out a good hand size. Our summers always have heat in excess of 100 degree's. We use a drip hose on ours. Last year we did 8 buckets of potatoes. All of the potatoes produced through the summer and on into October. I don't have a picture of them unfortunately. I would take a pic now, but its just dirt. The spuds have only been in there since Tuesday. The key here, is keeping the soil moist. I believe they would be better off in wood or clay pots, but you use what is available. Our feed buckets are available and they work. I knew one guy before he moved away that took a 2" deep kiddie pool and used it. But he had potatoes, tomatoes, peppers and strawberries in there all at the same time. You can grow anything anywhere and in anything. Proper dirt, drainage, fertilizer, sun and water. Heck, if I could keep the dirt on my roof I could do it there, probably lower my cooling bill.
              sigpic

Comment

Hey anything is possible, we are starting to retrofit our stores with green roofs.
                http://search.freecause.com/?rm=clic...3&toolid=58819

Comment

Working...
                X