Anyone Trying

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone Trying

Something new or different in there garden this year??

For me this year is adding only 100% compost from my tumbler as nutrition for my veggies... In the past I have used Peters & Miracle Grow along with some of the compost... Im really looking forward to having more naturally grown veggies than the steroid ones I have had in the past...
    Ken

I Should Have Been Rich Instead Of Being So Good Looking

true hungarian paprika peppers.......both the hot and the sweet.....they be looking good under the fluros........less than a month, they be planted

also, tilled in horse poo last fall, in the garden........really excited to see how the garden grows this year.......

also, a couple trees finally grew tall enuff to interfere with the sun in one corner, so chopped them down here awhile ago..........mulberry's........nice smoking wood

let us not cry because we lost someone, but let us smile because we enjoyed their company for what time was allowed us!

Comment

As a matter of fact yes we are doing something different this year. First Ken like you, no Miracle Grow this year. Secondly we have more feed buckets this year from the cows so we are trying some onions, green bell peppers and green beans in them this year. We'll still be doing the tomatoes in them just like last year. Also for weed control we are going to try the newspaper trick instead of that weed control fabric. Last several years the fabric didn't work that well and the increase of storms the last few years just tore it up. I thought in the beginning that fabric would withstand hail and wind. But if that wind gets under there, that stuff is gone. Trying to hold costs down a little more. I know it will rip the newspaper up also, but, newspaper is cheap and very plentiful.
      Last edited by davidmcg; 04-26-2009, 12:58 AM.
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Texas-Hunter View Post
        Something new or different in there garden this year??

For me this year is adding only 100% compost from my tumbler as nutrition for my veggies... In the past I have used Peters & Miracle Grow along with some of the compost... Im really looking forward to having more naturally grown veggies than the steroid ones I have had in the past...
        have been using only compost for nutrients for about 10 years now. also compost bins for summer use i use 4 foot wire fencing in a 3 foot circle, i put my tomato plants around them and tie the cages to the fence circles. layer grass clippings and bagged leaves all summer long. i think the nutrients from the composting stuff leaches down and feeds the tomato plants. still way to cold up here to get anything like tomatos or peppers in the ground but when i do will post pics.
        Charbroil SFB
        GOSM
        MES
        Dutch Ovens and other CI
        Little Chief, Big Chief, No Name water smoker
        Weber 22" gold, Smokey Joe, WSM 22"

Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head

sigpic

Comment

yueah, we don't plant till mothers day.......kinda a tradition around here

let us not cry because we lost someone, but let us smile because we enjoyed their company for what time was allowed us!

Comment

btw..........since we used horse poo, we will be getting oats sprouting up........any safe herbicides, or whatever, to get rid of the oats, that won't harm the garden here later in May?

Comment

Originally posted by davidmcg View Post
              As a matter of fact yes we are doing something different this year. First Ken like you, no Miracle Grow this year. Secondly we have more feed buckets this year from the cows so we are trying some onions, green bell peppers and green beans in them this year. We'll still be doing the tomatoes in them just like last year. Also for weed control we are going to try the newspaper trick instead of that weed control fabric. Last several years the fabric didn't work that well and the increase of storms the last few years just tore it up. I thought in the beginning that fabric would withstand hail and wind. But if that wind gets under there, that stuff is gone. Trying to hold costs down a little more. I know it will rip the newspaper up also, but, newspaper is cheap and very plentiful.
              We use our empty feed and seed sacks for weed control. You might try that Dave. Anything left on the garden gets tilled back in, and feed sacks compost pretty quickly like newspaper. She just cuts them down the sides and opens them up lengthwise.

I just wish the wind would settle down so we can put the panels back in the greenhouse and get the plants out of the house.

Tom

Comment

Due to the cold wet spring we've had, my tomatoes were in the house for WAAAAY to long. Nearly three ft tall. Healthy as can be but overgrown for the pots that they were in and searchin for light. When I finally got to transplant outside I took a post hole auger and dug two feet straight down. Soil temp down there was over 60 degrees but the soil wasnt so sweet. A little on the heavy side if you know what I mean. Plopped the plants in the holes and filled them half way up with compost and then with the garden soil.
                Hopefully being down that deep they will be drought proof this summer.
                Craig
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by SMOKE FREAK View Post
                  . Plopped the plants in the holes and filled them half way up with compost and then with the garden soil.
                  Hopefully being down that deep they will be drought proof this summer.
                  Dunno about tomatoes, but if you did that to a tree seedling it would die from trunk rot. Learned this the hard way landscaping my old place's yard years ago. Raised the grade around an existing maple about a foot and a half, was dead 2 years later...sigh.
                  In God I trust- All others pay cash...
                  Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
                  Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

since im never home in the summer my garden got turned in to a giant sand box for the grand daughter and the nieghbor kids. so now my garden is 1 grape tommato plant hanging in a topsy turvy.
                    2-22.5'' weber
                    1-18'' weber
                    1 smokey joe
                    22.5'' wsm
                    24'' smoke vault
                    1-outhouse
                    Certified,Smoked Meat Sausage Head
                    Smoked meathead #135

Comment

Beats nothing at all Bill...
                      Ken

Comment

Originally posted by Richtee View Post
                        Dunno about tomatoes, but if you did that to a tree seedling it would die from trunk rot. Learned this the hard way landscaping my old place's yard years ago. Raised the grade around an existing maple about a foot and a half, was dead 2 years later...sigh.
                        Cool thing bout maters is they grow more roots on any part of the stem below ground. I figure I gained at least a foot of under ground roots. Just worried bout stickin them into that clay junk and the coolness of the earth that deep.

But they seem to have taken real nice to the transplant and are growin fine. A much darker green than before.
                        Craig
                        sigpic

Comment

Doesn't hurt to try... I have done something similar a few years ago. We dug a trench about 6" deep 12" long, and laid the root and stem base in it.. really didnt see much difference... Get so damn hot here in the summer. Once it hits 90* they stop setting fruit anyway... So I just let them finish with the fruit thats on the vine and then pull them out... I will replant in late August early September for fall maters..
                          Ken

Comment

Working...
                          X