Smoked-Meat Forums

Go Back   Smoked-Meat Forums > Everything Gardening

Everything Gardening Growing Your Own Veggies Just Got Easier. Feel Free To Post Your Tips And Ideas.

Main Menu
Module Jump:
Active Threads
0 Home made pierogies...and creme brle
Last Post: Blue Dog BBQ
Posted On: 12-14-2017
Replies: 1
Views: 27
0 First crack at venison bacon
Last Post: Kicken Asphalt
Posted On: 12-13-2017
Replies: 9
Views: 180
0 Thin Blade Knives?
Last Post: WALLE
Replies: 19
Views: 195
0 Tres leche cake
Last Post: Fishawn
Replies: 1
Views: 29
0 Ribeyes with chimichurri.
Last Post: Fishawn
Replies: 2
Views: 33
More...
Mini Stats
Members 7,464 Entries 1
Members Entries
Threads 42,981 Reviews 1
Threads Reviews
Posts 644,840 Polls 37
Posts Polls
Content 0 Files 2
Content Files
Links 0 Ads 1
Links Ads
More...

Old 04-16-2012, 08:37 PM
Banned

ALX Is  A Name Known To AllALX Is  A Name Known To AllALX Is  A Name Known To All
ALX Is  A Name Known To AllALX Is  A Name Known To AllALX Is  A Name Known To AllALX Is  A Name Known To AllALX Is  A Name Known To AllALX Is  A Name Known To AllALX Is  A Name Known To AllALX Is  A Name Known To AllALX Is  A Name Known To AllALX Is  A Name Known To AllALX Is  A Name Known To AllALX Is  A Name Known To AllALX Is  A Name Known To AllALX Is  A Name Known To AllALX Is  A Name Known To AllALX Is  A Name Known To AllALX Is  A Name Known To AllALX Is  A Name Known To AllALX Is  A Name Known To AllALX Is  A Name Known To AllALX Is  A Name Known To All

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearcarver View Post
Nope---The guys an idiot!!!

Bear
..BEAR.......Tis amazing to me as i go thru life how some folk make excuses for things that dont work even if you give them exact instructions etc...in whatever the subject may be........

I take it IGOR not much of a hunter either.......

#ADS  
 is online
Smoked-Meat Ads

Old 04-16-2012, 11:27 PM
Pit Master

crusty ol salt Is  A Name Known To Allcrusty ol salt Is  A Name Known To Allcrusty ol salt Is  A Name Known To All
crusty ol salt Is  A Name Known To Allcrusty ol salt Is  A Name Known To Allcrusty ol salt Is  A Name Known To Allcrusty ol salt Is  A Name Known To Allcrusty ol salt Is  A Name Known To Allcrusty ol salt Is  A Name Known To Allcrusty ol salt Is  A Name Known To Allcrusty ol salt Is  A Name Known To Allcrusty ol salt Is  A Name Known To Allcrusty ol salt Is  A Name Known To Allcrusty ol salt Is  A Name Known To Allcrusty ol salt Is  A Name Known To Allcrusty ol salt Is  A Name Known To All

those are some insane maters...

my respect continues to grow for you daily "you the man"
Island of Misfit Smokers Member #94

weber smokie joe
18.5" weber prefomer
22.5" weber kettle
ECB
Chargriller SnP well modified
one ugly ass drum smoker
New Braunfels Bandera in dry dock for a service life extension overhaul

and

saving for a trailer mounted 60" reverse flow for my christmas present
Old 04-17-2012, 07:49 AM
Hunt it, Fish it, EAT IT!

WALLE Is  A Name Known To AllWALLE Is  A Name Known To AllWALLE Is  A Name Known To AllWALLE Is  A Name Known To All
WALLE Is  A Name Known To AllWALLE Is  A Name Known To AllWALLE Is  A Name Known To AllWALLE Is  A Name Known To AllWALLE Is  A Name Known To AllWALLE Is  A Name Known To AllWALLE Is  A Name Known To AllWALLE Is  A Name Known To AllWALLE Is  A Name Known To AllWALLE Is  A Name Known To AllWALLE Is  A Name Known To AllWALLE Is  A Name Known To AllWALLE Is  A Name Known To AllWALLE Is  A Name Known To All

Nice maters', John!

Yeah, those cherry t's can get outta control quick. I take a butcher knife to mine and keep them in check.

This post makes me think that gardening is right around the corner. My garlic is already going mad from the mild winter, pruned the raspberries and grapes, just need to sit down with Bassman and see how many green chilies we're going to tackle this year.
Old 04-17-2012, 08:00 AM
Pit Master

Bearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To All
Bearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To All

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALX View Post
..BEAR.......Tis amazing to me as i go thru life how some folk make excuses for things that dont work even if you give them exact instructions etc...in whatever the subject may be........

I take it IGOR not much of a hunter either.......
I think he has a brother who used to hunt, but Igor never hunted or fished. In the Old West, he would have been the guy cheating at Poker at The Long Branch, but Matt Dillon would have to run him out of town.

Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by crusty ol salt View Post
those are some insane maters...

my respect continues to grow for you daily "you the man"

Thank You Padre,
I appreciate the kind words.

Bear
Old 04-17-2012, 04:43 PM
Pit Master

sweet_magnolia Is  A Name Known To Allsweet_magnolia Is  A Name Known To Allsweet_magnolia Is  A Name Known To Allsweet_magnolia Is  A Name Known To Allsweet_magnolia Is  A Name Known To Allsweet_magnolia Is  A Name Known To Allsweet_magnolia Is  A Name Known To Allsweet_magnolia Is  A Name Known To All
sweet_magnolia Is  A Name Known To Allsweet_magnolia Is  A Name Known To Allsweet_magnolia Is  A Name Known To Allsweet_magnolia Is  A Name Known To Allsweet_magnolia Is  A Name Known To Allsweet_magnolia Is  A Name Known To Allsweet_magnolia Is  A Name Known To Allsweet_magnolia Is  A Name Known To All

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokinLee View Post
Make you count all them blueberries, inquiring minds want to know.

Quote:
Sounds like a great idea, Becky.
I wouldn't see any reason it wouldn't work.
I put 2 new plants out last weekend at the farm. Going to dig them up this weekend and get them settled in some "muck tubs".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire it up View Post
And that sig pic is just wrong Fish!
Exactly my thoughts!!!!

Quote:
Nope---The guys an idiot!!!

Now you know why we call him Igor,

https://www.facebook.com/jennie.r.smith.77?ref=tn_tnmn

Chargriller Duo w/ SFB
Weber 22.5" One Touch Gold Kettle - Black
1993 Weber 22.5" Master Touch Kettle - Red
Weber 18.5" One Touch Silver Kettle - Budweiser
Weber Smokey Joe
Brinkman Electric Smoker
Multiple Dutch Ovens and other Cast Iron
Pink Thermapen
Purple Thermapen
Old 04-17-2012, 07:57 PM
Pit Master

crusty ol salt Is  A Name Known To Allcrusty ol salt Is  A Name Known To Allcrusty ol salt Is  A Name Known To All
crusty ol salt Is  A Name Known To Allcrusty ol salt Is  A Name Known To Allcrusty ol salt Is  A Name Known To Allcrusty ol salt Is  A Name Known To Allcrusty ol salt Is  A Name Known To Allcrusty ol salt Is  A Name Known To Allcrusty ol salt Is  A Name Known To Allcrusty ol salt Is  A Name Known To Allcrusty ol salt Is  A Name Known To Allcrusty ol salt Is  A Name Known To Allcrusty ol salt Is  A Name Known To Allcrusty ol salt Is  A Name Known To Allcrusty ol salt Is  A Name Known To All

oh dear Lord they sell this stuff locally

just incase anyone else was wondering if they sell it in your area
http://www.masternursery.com/masternursery.cfm

now to locate muck tubs
Island of Misfit Smokers Member #94

weber smokie joe
18.5" weber prefomer
22.5" weber kettle
ECB
Chargriller SnP well modified
one ugly ass drum smoker
New Braunfels Bandera in dry dock for a service life extension overhaul

and

saving for a trailer mounted 60" reverse flow for my christmas present
Old 04-18-2012, 07:18 AM
Rub Mixer

toolboxdiver Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling Godtoolboxdiver Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling Godtoolboxdiver Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling Godtoolboxdiver Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling Godtoolboxdiver Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling Godtoolboxdiver Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling Godtoolboxdiver Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling Godtoolboxdiver Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling Godtoolboxdiver Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling Godtoolboxdiver Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling Godtoolboxdiver Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling Godtoolboxdiver Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling God

very cool method Bear, will have to try it on my deck
30 Gal UDS/BADS
Weber 22.5 Kettle Grill
about 8 other grills???
BBQ Guru DigiQ DX2 temp control
Old 04-18-2012, 07:50 AM
Pit Master

Bearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To All
Bearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To All

Quote:
Originally Posted by crusty ol salt View Post
oh dear Lord they sell this stuff locally

just incase anyone else was wondering if they sell it in your area
http://www.masternursery.com/masternursery.cfm

now to locate muck tubs
Price isn't bad either. Last time I got some (2 years ago), it was still $9.99 per bag.

Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by toolboxdiver View Post
very cool method Bear, will have to try it on my deck
I never had any luck growing things in pots, buckets, or tubs. I think another big reason this works so good is because I cut the bottoms out of the tubs, and sunk them in the ground. That gives them drainage, and keeps the temp in the tubs just like ground temperature, instead of big changes in temp from being exposed to elements outside the tub.

Just my thoughts on that.

Bear
Old 04-20-2012, 11:47 PM
Rub Mixer

toolboxdiver Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling Godtoolboxdiver Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling Godtoolboxdiver Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling Godtoolboxdiver Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling Godtoolboxdiver Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling Godtoolboxdiver Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling Godtoolboxdiver Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling Godtoolboxdiver Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling Godtoolboxdiver Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling Godtoolboxdiver Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling Godtoolboxdiver Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling Godtoolboxdiver Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling God

Quote:
Price isn't bad either. Last time I got some (2 years ago), it was still $9.99 per bag.

Bear

I never had any luck growing things in pots, buckets, or tubs. I think another big reason this works so good is because I cut the bottoms out of the tubs, and sunk them in the ground. That gives them drainage, and keeps the temp in the tubs just like ground temperature, instead of big changes in temp from being exposed to elements outside the tub.

Just my thoughts on that.

Bear
I know what you mean but I live in an apt so I have the hanging Gardens of Babalon going on off my balcony.,.I will give it a try
30 Gal UDS/BADS
Weber 22.5 Kettle Grill
about 8 other grills???
BBQ Guru DigiQ DX2 temp control
Old 04-21-2012, 07:51 AM
Pit Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by toolboxdiver View Post
I know what you mean but I live in an apt so I have the hanging Gardens of Babalon going on off my balcony.,.I will give it a try

I've seen some great plants in pots, in situations like yours.
My guess is the amount of sun & the amount of water is more important for them than "in-the-ground" plants.

Bear
Old 04-24-2012, 11:12 AM
Slow learner

1894 Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling God1894 Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling God1894 Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling God1894 Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling God1894 Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling God1894 Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling God1894 Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling God1894 Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling God1894 Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling God1894 Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling God1894 Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling God1894 Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling God1894 Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling God1894 Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling God1894 Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling God1894 Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling God

Great post !! The link says there is a place nearby that sells that stuff . Going to give that stuff a shot this year

Fun Tune , She's a Smoker
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mxiCrcV_R9o
Old 04-24-2012, 12:42 PM
Pit Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1894 View Post
Great post !! The link says there is a place nearby that sells that stuff . Going to give that stuff a shot this year

That's Great, Phil !!!!

Hopefully it will be a good year too!!
Last year was a little too much rain around here.

Bear
Old 04-24-2012, 04:00 PM
Slow learner

1894 Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling God1894 Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling God1894 Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling God1894 Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling God1894 Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling God1894 Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling God1894 Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling God1894 Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling God1894 Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling God1894 Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling God1894 Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling God1894 Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling God1894 Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling God1894 Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling God1894 Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling God1894 Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling God

We had good luck with peppers in a couple of earth boxes last year.
Gonna try some 'maters in a couple this year. I better work on planning for stronger cages

Old 04-25-2012, 03:21 PM
Banned

ALX Is  A Name Known To AllALX Is  A Name Known To AllALX Is  A Name Known To All
ALX Is  A Name Known To AllALX Is  A Name Known To AllALX Is  A Name Known To AllALX Is  A Name Known To AllALX Is  A Name Known To AllALX Is  A Name Known To AllALX Is  A Name Known To AllALX Is  A Name Known To AllALX Is  A Name Known To AllALX Is  A Name Known To AllALX Is  A Name Known To AllALX Is  A Name Known To AllALX Is  A Name Known To AllALX Is  A Name Known To AllALX Is  A Name Known To AllALX Is  A Name Known To AllALX Is  A Name Known To AllALX Is  A Name Known To AllALX Is  A Name Known To AllALX Is  A Name Known To AllALX Is  A Name Known To All

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1894 View Post
I better work on planning for stronger cages

you can get concrete re-inforcing wire perty cheap at most hardware stores etc.......I have some 20 year old cages.......i cut out the bottom loop and jam the spikes that are left into the ground.......
Old 04-25-2012, 03:56 PM
Chili Champion!

jleiwig Is Better Then Most In His Neighborhood At Grilling & Smokingjleiwig Is Better Then Most In His Neighborhood At Grilling & Smokingjleiwig Is Better Then Most In His Neighborhood At Grilling & Smoking

I typically use self-watering containers for my maters. They are similar to the earthbox, but DIY. it's not really much cheaper than an earthbox, but you get a bigger container. I use 18 gallon tubs with two plants per tub.

The past couple years have been bad years tomato-wise for us, but the year before that I got so sick of tomatoes that I didn't eat salsa for a few months after the growing season. Last year I was sick of sugar and snow peas! LOL!

Every year I'm sick of Zucchini!
Old 04-25-2012, 05:40 PM
Pit Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALX View Post
you can get concrete re-inforcing wire perty cheap at most hardware stores etc.......I have some 20 year old cages.......i cut out the bottom loop and jam the spikes that are left into the ground.......

That's what we used to do, but the little spikes every 5 inches would never hold these plants up. You gotta go with the half inch rebar, like in my pics.

Bear
Old 04-25-2012, 05:49 PM
Banned

Quote:
That's what we used to do, but the little spikes every 5 inches would never hold these plants up. You gotta go with the half inch rebar, like in my pics.

Bear
LOL....yeah at that size you need some more anchor.....I do hill up soil around the bottom a bit to add some more strength and it makes a convenient watering circle........I did have a few blow over about 10 years ago,but they had already grown back down the outside of cage and of course 100 mph winds from a hurricane .......
Old 05-17-2012, 01:05 PM
Slow learner

Quote:
Originally Posted by jleiwig View Post
I typically use self-watering containers for my maters. They are similar to the earthbox, but DIY. it's not really much cheaper than an earthbox, but you get a bigger container. I use 18 gallon tubs with two plants per tub.

The past couple years have been bad years tomato-wise for us, but the year before that I got so sick of tomatoes that I didn't eat salsa for a few months after the growing season. Last year I was sick of sugar and snow peas! LOL!

Every year I'm sick of Zucchini!
Yep , home made here as well. Had great luck with the peppers last year in our 2 containers , so adding 3 more this year.

Ours looked like this last year.

Blurry pic , but 90# dog for scale.

Question though , for those that use this product ( the master gardener stuff ) Do you think it would wick the water up in a self watering style container ? Or , should we just use it as part of the mix we put in the tote bins ?
The local place has 2 cu. ft . bags 11.99 and 3 for 30 $ .

Old 05-17-2012, 02:08 PM
SMF/OTBS Refugee

TasunkaWitko Is  A Name Known To AllTasunkaWitko Is  A Name Known To AllTasunkaWitko Is  A Name Known To AllTasunkaWitko Is  A Name Known To AllTasunkaWitko Is  A Name Known To All
TasunkaWitko Is  A Name Known To AllTasunkaWitko Is  A Name Known To AllTasunkaWitko Is  A Name Known To AllTasunkaWitko Is  A Name Known To AllTasunkaWitko Is  A Name Known To AllTasunkaWitko Is  A Name Known To AllTasunkaWitko Is  A Name Known To AllTasunkaWitko Is  A Name Known To AllTasunkaWitko Is  A Name Known To AllTasunkaWitko Is  A Name Known To AllTasunkaWitko Is  A Name Known To AllTasunkaWitko Is  A Name Known To AllTasunkaWitko Is  A Name Known To AllTasunkaWitko Is  A Name Known To AllTasunkaWitko Is  A Name Known To AllTasunkaWitko Is  A Name Known To AllTasunkaWitko Is  A Name Known To AllTasunkaWitko Is  A Name Known To AllTasunkaWitko Is  A Name Known To AllTasunkaWitko Is  A Name Known To AllTasunkaWitko Is  A Name Known To AllTasunkaWitko Is  A Name Known To AllTasunkaWitko Is  A Name Known To AllTasunkaWitko Is  A Name Known To All

now THIS is cool ~ thanks for some great information, john!

Helfen, Wehren, Heilen
Die Wahrheit wird euch frei machen

Foods of the World Forums - From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, it's all good

BaitShopBoyz.com - Shoot the bull with the boyZ

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Smoked-Meat Forums > Everything Gardening