Temp Gauge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Temp Gauge

So I am in the need of a good temp gauge. Not one you use to check the temp of what you are cooking, but one to monitor the temp inside my Weber.

What are you guys using to make sure your temp is where you want it? From what I have read here, the gauge that comes with grills in general can be off quite a bit.
    sigpic

USAF 1982-2008 Desert Storm Vet
    American Legion Riders
    Patriot Guard Riders

Thermoworks Smoke wireless system with a grate probe and mount would get my vote. Extra bonus that it is a 2 channel system so your meat temp is covered as well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I like Tel Tru or Ashcroft gauges. There are others that are less expensive that may work also.
      I'm not sure, but is the Weber gauge adjustable ? If it is that would make it easier.
      Last edited by BYBBQ; 07-12-2017, 01:28 AM. Reason: fat fingers & small keys
      Jim

Comment

I'm thinking of getting one of these to mount on the vent side of my Weber Performer lid.

Tel-tru Barbecue Grill Thermometer BQ225, 2 inch dial and 2.13 inch stem

I'm not crazy about drilling a hole in my new Copper top lid but I cook indirect a lot and prefer to have the vents over the meat rather than over the coals. I have no idea why they put the lid thermo on the opposite side of the vents.
        CUHS Metal Shop Reverse Flow
        UDS 1.0
        Afterburner
        Weber Performer
        Blue Thermapen
        Thermoworks Smoke with Gateway
        Thermoworks Chef Alarm
        Auber Smoker Controller
        Proud Smoked-Meat Member #88
        -
        "All welcome, take what ya need, share what ya know. " -- Richtee, 12/2/2010

Comment

The OverThinker strikes...

I try to check my all my stems for calibration at least once every spring with the tried and true ice bath/boiling pot of water method for the thermometers.

For my digital probes (ambient & meat) I have a secret weapon that I use in conjunction with my kitchen oven. I happened across a grill surface temperature "puck" which I have checked against the heat treating ovens at a shop I once was employed at.

I know after verifying it to temps from 175° - 775° on several occasions that it is true blue on registering a correct reading. Using this puck has shown me our kitchen oven will run 5 degrees cooler than the target I set.

If I cannot calibrate an ambient gauge I can at least account for it's inaccuracy with a touch of Kentucky Windage anywhere from 165° to 545° degrees, as our oven has a setting range of 170° to 550°. Broil function on low is 290° and on high it is 580°.

And I am sure this isn't news to anyone here, but identical probes from the same manufacturer can vary up to 15° in range when being used with the different gauging units... and a couple of times even with the same West Bend digital countertop unit I use in our kitchen.

==============

Drinking is like playing golf... you'd best be prepared to play every club in your bag.

Steve the Bartender

There are no bad briskets... only poorly executed ones.

Steve the Food Man

Comment

Great info guys, thanks,
            sigpic

USAF 1982-2008 Desert Storm Vet
            American Legion Riders
            Patriot Guard Riders

Comment

Personally with my Weber grills I just use the lid thermo as a reference...It may or may not show the actual grate temp...But when grilling I don't care...I don't put my thermo probes into a hot grill because some of them wont survive the high heat...Thermoworks makes probes that will but I feel I don't need that in my grill...

Now in my smokers it's a different story...I always monitor grate temp in my smokers
              Craig
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by DDave View Post
                I'm thinking of getting one of these to mount on the vent side of my Weber Performer lid.

Tel-tru Barbecue Grill Thermometer BQ225, 2 inch dial and 2.13 inch stem
                think i have the 4'' version....like the glow in the dark feature for low light conditions...............been solid for years.
                sigpic
                it's all good my friend..........

Comment

Lots to choose!
                  http://probbqthermometers.com/

Comment

Originally posted by barleypop View Post
                    Interesting site BP... have you used them before?

Their contact info is fairly sparse and clicking on one of the "buy it now" buttons only takes you directly to a Paypal link.
                    ==============

Drinking is like playing golf... you'd best be prepared to play every club in your bag.

Steve the Bartender

Steve the Food Man

Comment

I have 2 kettles and they didn't come with a temp gauge. I installed one of these in both kettles. These are several years old and have always worked great.It's the one DDave was talking about.

Jim

Comment

Originally posted by barleypop View Post
                        They are a very good company to deal with. They are a huge company that has been around for years. In the link you looked at, the main company name was listed right there along with their web site address.
                        BP only linked to one page/section of their site. If you go to their main web site you can find all the different temp gauges they carry and info about their company.
                        Here's a link to their web site...

http://www.kck.com/
                        Jim

Comment

==============

Steve the Bartender

Steve the Food Man

Comment

Originally posted by strength_and_power View Post
                            Thermoworks Smoke wireless system with a grate probe and mount would get my vote. Extra bonus that it is a 2 channel system so your meat temp is covered as well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                            I prefer digital and use this one backed up by a couple of mavericks. I do find myself in need of a good dial thermometer. Well, actually two. So thanks for starting this thread.
                            Weber Smoky Joe
                            18" Weber Silver
                            22.5" Weber Gold
                            22.5" Weber Silver
                            UDS X 2
                            Masterbuilt 30" MES digital
                            Masterbuilt MES 40" digital
                            Masterbuilt cold smoke attachment
                            Char-Broil Big Easy 3 in 1
                            Char-Broil COS with Ron Fischer mods.
                            Dual Char-Broil BBQ Bistros
                            Blackstone three burner flat top
                            5" AMZNPS
                            Vortex x 2
                            Maverick ET 73
                            Maverick ET 732
                            Maverick Pro Temp instant read thermometer
                            Thermo Works Smoke Dual Channel Thermometer
                            Pitmaster iQue 110
                            sigpic

Comment

The TelTru with the 4 inch stem is what I put in my Longhorn...
                              Just dont feel the need for that when grilling...Just get the feel of the grill and go from there...
                              Craig
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X