Preserving Forum?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Fishawn View Post
    Yes, I would love to see it also..... I just got 6.5 dozen Ball-Kerr-Atlas jars off CL for $10.... ..... I used to can a lot of Salmon & Steelhead, but want to get into the vegetables this year if anything starts growing..... Also want to try dehydrating them ..... Good idea & I think it would be a good addition..... NO KIDDING, as I was typing this my dad called & he was at a garage sale & a lady was selling wide mouth Kerr quarts brand new in the boxes for $3 a dozen I told him to buy them all
    nice deal, those widemouths are the only way to go...

dang, cannot wait to see what you come up with for canning... if anything like your Q, prolly be something i want to copy!
    Charbroil SFB
    GOSM
    MES
    Dutch Ovens and other CI
    Little Chief, Big Chief, No Name water smoker
    Weber 22" gold, Smokey Joe, WSM 22"

Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head

sigpic

Comment

Good Idea! I get tons of emails in the summer about canning and pickling. More and more folks going back to the ole ways everyday. We're not weirdos any more we're "Artisans!"
      Smokers:
      ECB -The Brinkman All-In-One Bullet type Water smoker aka -Baby Bink)Camp Chef Smoke Vault 24 Inch propane smoke (aka -Black Beauty)
      SunJoy horizontal with left side firebox (aka - Lefty Lucy)
      River Grille - Black Ceramic Egg (aka Black Egg)

Smoke preference:Combination of Charcoal, Hickory, Apple, Cherry & Pecan wood.

Comment

Originally posted by DeejayDebi View Post
        More and more folks going back to the ole ways everyday. We're not weirdos any more we're "Artisans!"
        I was country, when country wasn't cool!
        --- --- --- --- --- --- ---
        www.OwensBBQ.com

Comment

Originally posted by DeejayDebi View Post
          Good Idea! I get tons of emails in the summer about canning and pickling. More and more folks going back to the ole ways everyday. We're not weirdos any more we're "Artisans!"
          ..... Bravo Deb.... I wanna know how my parents-parents-parents did it, etc..... I have always been wired this way & for some reason have always collected books on preserving, canning, cooking, etc. since I was about 18-20 (47 now).... My mom said since I was a kid that I would have been a good homesteader ..... I'm cautious though when it comes to recipes & rules & have read a lot on botulism and other things about pressure canning. I have not used my pressure canner in about 8 years (my buddies have been smoking & canning fish, venison, elk, etc.).... looking forward to getting it out to work.... Good to see that others have canned on a glass cooktop..... I will go for it also.... If it breaks, then I get the propane 6 burner that I have been eyeballing
          sigpic

Comment

brought abook on food preserving last year.

To date I've pickled homemade smoked sausage using my own technique and recipe.
            Worked too :-)

Amazing how many cookery books ignore microwaves.
            Made In England - Fine Tuned By The USA
            Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

Originally posted by Texas-Hunter View Post
              It's been in place since this morning..
              where
              Been through all the categories - slowly - cannot find anything new or food preservation related (other than the charcuteri one).

So where have you hidden it ?
              Made In England - Fine Tuned By The USA
              Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

Here it is CA, it's called The Harvest Moon - http://www.smoked-meat.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=74
                --- --- --- --- --- --- ---
                www.OwensBBQ.com

Comment

I have used my turkey fryer burner for canning in the past, but now I just use the Camp Chef. Keeps the heat out of the kitchen, heats the water fast and I can turn it down to a gentle boil when doing the water bath.

sigpic
                  Smoke Vault 24

Comment

Originally posted by curious aardvark View Post
                    where
                    Been through all the categories - slowly - cannot find anything new or food preservation related (other than the charcuteri one).

Phew... I thought I was the only one that couldn't figger it out!
                    Mike
                    Life In Pit Row

Comment

Originally posted by curious aardvark View Post
                      where

The hint was in the second post.. You must not have read it...
                      Ken

I Should Have Been Rich Instead Of Being So Good Looking

Comment

Originally posted by MossyMO View Post
                        I was country, when country wasn't cool!
                        sigpic

Certified Sausage Head

Comment

Originally posted by Fishawn View Post
                          ... I wanna know how my parents-parents-parents did it, etc.....
                          Me, too. My Mom is old school and I wish I paid more attention when growing up, but I just took for granted that she would be here forever. She will be 70 this year and grew up on a large farm with 6 brothers and 5 sisters. There were 2 sets of twins...non identical boy twins and non identical girl twins...my Mom is one of the twins and she has worked since she was VERY young. I could kick myself in the butt for not wanting to learn then, But I'm going to see her tomorrow and she is "puttin' up corn". Hope I can get out of work early enough to get down there in time to learn something.

I really think the Harvest forum is cool! Thanks, Ken!
                          Becky

https://www.facebook.com/jennie.r.smith.77?ref=tn_tnmn

Weber 22.5" One Touch Gold Kettle - Black
                          Weber 22.5" One Touch Gold Kettle - Copper
                          1993 Weber 22.5" Master Touch Kettle - Red
                          Weber 18.5" One Touch Silver Kettle - Budweiser
                          Weber Smokey Joe
                          Multiple Dutch Ovens and other Cast Iron
                          Pink Thermapen
                          Purple Thermapen

Comment

Originally posted by sweet_magnolia View Post
                            Me, too. My Mom is old school and I wish I paid more attention when growing up, but I just took for granted that she would be here forever.
                            I really think the Harvest forum is cool! Thanks, Ken!
                            I feel the same way about my grandmother.. I helped shell peas, shuck corn, pound cabbage, blanch tomatoes... And cook all of it, but I wanted to get out the door and hang with my buddies.. Her canned purple hull peas were to die for...

Me too... Just one more forum of great information..
                            Ken

I Should Have Been Rich Instead Of Being So Good Looking

Comment

Originally posted by Texas-Hunter View Post
                              I feel the same way about my grandmother.. I helped shell peas, shuck corn, pound cabbage, blanch tomatoes... And cook all of it, but I wanted to get out the door and hang with my buddies.. Her canned purple hull peas were to die for...

Me too... Just one more forum of great information..
                              Yup count me in too. Not just food preservation, my shop is ful of antique and homemade tools. I've had a go at blacksmithing, rawhide and leather braiding, cooperage, steam bending wood, of course fly fishing with my own tyed flies, gunsmithing and hand loads, blackpowder, hell, too much to list. I believe in being self sufficient in as many things as practical, but it's more than just that, there's an art form to all of it, that really appeals to me. Food is just another art form and copying our parents/grandparents is akin to recreating works of art from a master.
                              JT

Comment

Thanx Ken! I'm looking forward to this harvest season. Produce stands are starting to open up now in this region and the corn and tomatoes are my favorites. I got a hand crank tomato skinner/seeder for Christmas and ready to put it to work.
                                sigpic

GOSM/propane
                                UDS (Cam)/lump
                                22.5 Weber Kettle/lump
                                Weber Genesis/propane
                                Camp Chef Pro 90/ propane

Comment

Working...
                                X