• Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'd like to learn how to do that, great idea

GOSM
    K.C.B.S Member # 60786
    Digital Thermometers
    Hybrid Kenmore grill 1/2 charcoal 1/2 gas
    140 lb English Mastiff/ American Bulldog, she is my taste tester and BBQ companion.

Comment

Just started doing preserves and jellies last year and have fruit and peppers stocked up to do it again this year. have done one batch of strawberry preserves already.
      have 25 more lbs of strawberries and 74 pints of blueberries and a bushel of jalapenos to do.
      Bob
      South Louisiana
      Old New Braunfuls offset
      Charcol ECB
      09 MES 40

Comment

Originally posted by Mark R View Post
        Might have to go under the Advanced Methods & Techniques as there are definite hazards to canning.
        I'd like to learn more. Someday I might grow enough tomatoes to can.
        Agree with the advanced thing. You can't just take anything and throw it in a jar and boil it for 10 minutes for it to be safe. But it would be nice to see a forum or subforum on the topic.
        Once you go Weber....you never call customer service....

Comment

Re:

Yes, me too.

I'm fixing to show a couple people how I put up Giardiniera tomorrow.

It's an easy way of having some pickled veggies to go with sammiches
          on the hot days of summer. And an easy beginners experience with
          pickling & canning veggies using a hot water boil method.
          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gc1URQgQWNo

Comment

Originally posted by eDJ View Post
            Yes, me too.

I'm fixing to show a couple people how I put up Giardiniera tomorrow.

It's an easy way of having some pickled veggies to go with sammiches
            on the hot days of summer. And an easy beginners experience with
            pickling & canning veggies using a hot water boil method.
            Care to share that method with the rest of the class?

GOSM
            K.C.B.S Member # 60786
            Digital Thermometers
            Hybrid Kenmore grill 1/2 charcoal 1/2 gas
            140 lb English Mastiff/ American Bulldog, she is my taste tester and BBQ companion.

Comment

Ken, what are your thoughts on it? I know there are canning forums out there but I for one have decided to limit the number of forums I participate in and with the expertise we have here it could be of some value.
              sigpic

GOSM/propane
              UDS (Cam)/lump
              22.5 Weber Kettle/lump
              Weber Genesis/propane
              Camp Chef Pro 90/ propane

Comment

Originally posted by lcruzen View Post
                Ken, what are your thoughts on it? I know there are canning forums out there but I for one have decided to limit the number of forums I participate in and with the expertise we have here it could be of some value.

It's been in place since this morning..
                Ken

I Should Have Been Rich Instead Of Being So Good Looking

Comment

Originally posted by Texas-Hunter View Post
                  Thanks Ken!
                  Once you go Weber....you never call customer service....

Comment

Originally posted by Texas-Hunter View Post
                    Sneaky ain't he!
                    http://www.smoked-meat.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=74
                    Mark
                    sigpic

"Likes smokey old pool rooms, clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?
                    Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head!

Comment

I (we) know there are safety issues and guidelines to follow.. I feel that information should be posted in the Food & Cooking Safety Forum.. We can add a sticky and redirect them to that forum..
                      Ken

I Should Have Been Rich Instead Of Being So Good Looking

Comment

Good thinkin boss..... I was scared to death the first time I ate something I canned ..... Hell, I did'nt even drink during the process (or maybe I did can't remember)..... But, I have only canned things following Ball or Kerr recipes..... This should be another fine addition to the Net's fastest growing BBQ-Grilling website ..... Lookout Meathead
                        sigpic

Comment

Re:

Northern Greenhorn wrote:

Care to share that method with the rest of the class?
                          Sure, you got your jars cleaned, sterilized, and packed with veggies, pickle brine & seasonings. The jars are positioned in your canning Kettle and the water brought to a boil.

But if it's something I really want to process I use my ol' hand me down

But banana peppers, Jalapeno, and Giardiniera I just boil in the jars. Then allow them to cool and rack them. When room temp I sit some of em in the fridge.

If it's something like pickled corn, green beans or beets I'd use the pressure canner.

Understand that these are just stock photos from Google for now.

But this is the way I grew up doing it.

Comment

1st question, where to buy a canning Kettle?
                            Mark
                            sigpic

"Likes smokey old pool rooms, clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?
                            Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head!

Comment

Re:

Any WalMarts around you ? They got the stuff out here by the isles.

Pandemonium and I both hit yard sales and Goodwill Thrift stores. Volunteers of America, Salvation Army and the like are also good sources. You can find some deals that way.

If you have a stock pot or just a big kettle or bottom half of a big pressure cooker you can use it. Ya just need to put something in the bottom to keep
                              the jars off direct contact with bottom. (could crack the glass if you don't) This way the jars
                              are surrounded by boiling hot water and won't go much above 215 degrees.

Comment

Cool, I am into this...... I have been looking on CL for a propane burner/turkey fryer kinda thing.... No luck yet.... I guess I may be able to use the side burner on me Weber propane BBQ, or me Coleman camp stove?.... Our home cooking unit is a glass top & I think they are not good for canning?.... I could be wrong on that though.... I don't like the way electric cook tops cycle, but that's another story........ Also, I have a pressure canner, but not a water bath canner...... From what I have seen & EDJ's notes, a pressure canner will work, I just need the device that gets the lids off of the bottom.... Been stocking up on as many "canning" jars as I can find..... Hope the garden comes through
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X