Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Disc-It Woks

came across this today while looking around for discs and woks
    interesting that there is someone out there actually marketing what walle has done...well im sure you can build one these cheaper than what they are selling these for......
    http://www.disc-it.com/about_us.php
    http://www.youtube.com/user/DISCITGRILL

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Fcmbhb89ts[/yt]
    Mike
    Oklahoma City
    22.5 Generic (gettin ready to be dismantle for the Drum) Kettle Grill
    Weber 22.5 Performer
    GOSM 3405gw
    Boomer Sooner Drum
    Maverick ET-732
    Various Cast Iron Skillets and Dutch Ovens
    A-MAZE-N 6X6 Smoker

Bet it ain't cheap! Hmmm.....Thinkin Jerod (GOT14U) could build one! That Cat has skills!
    Sunset Eagle Aviation
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sunse...888015?fref=ts <... We sure could use some likes!

Comment

Very cool, Mike! This will definitely give folks here options. Woks are great.

I couldn't find a price on their web-site, but in discussion with another member today, I'm guessing I've got around a $170 in mine when you include the disc, hose, valve, pipe, and supplies, etc.

That should give the rest of you an idea to help you make your decision. The only thing I wouldn't like about the Disc-It is how it slides around on the burner. If you've got it loaded with potatos, eggs, carne, full of hot oil, you don't want it sliding around! That would be a very simple fix. Cool stands and appears the handles stay cool.

Should have guessed... by the time I think of something, it's already being mass produced!

Comment

Originally posted by WALLE View Post

Should have guessed... by the time I think of something, it's already being mass produced!
        Come on Walle, you know home built is funner than store bought. Besides, homebuilt is generally better quality in manufacture. Mass production tends to lean towards cheaper materials and quality. Mass production no longer tilts towards the longevity factor, just a bigger profit for them when people have to come back for more.

You make it yourself and it want great quality and longevity. I would take one of yours over a mass produced anyday. But alas, I have my own supply of discs here on the farm. You say you spent around $170, which for most people isn't bad. I checked my price and when I bought that case of discs 2 years ago my price was $28 a piece.

So now I just need to get my son busy welding the bolt holes up, welding the nipples and handles on one and I can do the rest. You have a great design and I am gonna copy it as best as I can. Got a couple of old water heater burners laying around here to use. Got old horse shoes and other iron to rig up some handles. Even have a decent pile of blackwall pipe. I think all I'll have to go buy is some hose and a nipple or two for the tank.

That idea of sandblasting is a good idea. I probably would have just taken a wire wheel and heat to it to clean the crud off the disc.
        sigpic

Comment

I pulled the trigger on this unit from Southwest Disc

http://shop.southwestdisk.com/produc...2&categoryId=2

I also bought the collapsable burner from the same site - total was like $140

Use the code USMC on the shipping page and it gives a discount on shipping
          Scarbelly

Comment

scar
            let me know how it works been thinking of getting one myself just kinda waiting on the funds....if you dont mind do a review on it when you get it....and thanks for the promo code for the discount shipping
            Mike
            Oklahoma City
            Weber 22.5 Performer
            GOSM 3405gw
            Boomer Sooner Drum
            Maverick ET-732
            A-MAZE-N 6X6 Smoker

Comment

Originally posted by Scarbelly View Post
              I pulled the trigger on this unit from Southwest Disc

http://shop.southwestdisk.com/produc...2&categoryId=2

I also bought the collapsable burner from the same site - total was like $140

Use the code USMC on the shipping page and it gives a discount on shipping
              i liked that site better........thx gary!
              sigpic
              it's all good my friend..........

Comment

Originally posted by doctor phreak View Post
                scar
                let me know how it works been thinking of getting one myself just kinda waiting on the funds....if you dont mind do a review on it when you get it....and thanks for the promo code for the discount shipping
                According to the UPS tracker it will be here on the weekend - I hope and I will season it 2-3 times then try to use over the weekend if possible - trying to pack the MH to go on vacation next Thurs -
                Scarbelly

Comment

scarbelly did u get your wok and if you have , have u tried it out and is it worth the money
                  Mike
                  Oklahoma City
                  Weber 22.5 Performer
                  GOSM 3405gw
                  Boomer Sooner Drum
                  Maverick ET-732
                  A-MAZE-N 6X6 Smoker

Comment

Originally posted by doctor phreak View Post
                    scarbelly did u get your wok and if you have , have u tried it out and is it worth the money
                    It finally arrived on Monday and it will be a couple of weeks before I can post a good review of the actual use - I have a huge bid of a 26 story fire system that bids Thursday and we leave on vacation that nite - gonna try to take it with me in the motorhome and see if I can fire it up

First impressions - The disc is 22" and weighs about the same # - the finishing is not as smooth as I would have thought but I am sure it will work just fine once I have had a couple of seasoning runs - the disc came seasoned but it is a bit sticky so I think it may have been sittting for a bit.
                    Gonna try to get one run in tomorrow if I can but if not I also bought the 65K burner for it with the telescoping legs so I can carry it in the MH collapsed

Will post a better review ASAP but for the $55 it looks like a good buy
                    Scarbelly

Comment

This one is in Kansas in the general area of doctor phreak... All I can post is it's current eBay link, as the site has the pic's protected from being copied. The title of the eBay listing is "BBQ Smoker/Grill (Discada)"

http://www.ebay.com/itm/160699518146

Thought it's design looks good and appears to be user friendly.
                      --- --- --- --- --- --- ---
                      www.OwensBBQ.com

Comment

I went with the southwest disk Wok as well. I didn't want all of that fancy design stuff that comes with the Disc-It woks. I like the collapsible burner stand that they sell on the southwest disk page.
                        Propane Smoke Shack
                        UDS
                        Great Outdoors Smoky Mountain
                        sigpic

Comment

Here are a couple of links on this wok - I am very happy with it. I did a breakfast with BBQ Goddess and Uncle Honky

http://www.smoked-meat.com/forum/sho...=plow+disc+wok

http://www.smoked-meat.com/forum/sho...=plow+disc+wok
                          Scarbelly

Comment

Anyone who gets one of these disc wok's will love it. I guarantee it!
                            Propane Smoke Shack
                            UDS
                            Great Outdoors Smoky Mountain
                            sigpic

Comment

I've been looking for a used disk all during my travels. All I can find around here are new ones made in Brazil or India. I'll hold hold out for a use made in USA.

The prices don't seem bad, but if you add the shipping and the "hunt"; maybe i'll have one by spring.

Comment

Working...
                              X