No announcement yet.

Attempting a Fridge/Smoker Conversion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well I finally found the model number of my fridge and after a little bit of digging thru GE's model number database. My fridge which is in perfect working order still with original Freon is a 1946, only 3rd year production number. I'm kinda on the fence now about sending it out to pasture and converting it. Please someone convince me otherwise. Lol.

Comment

Working vintage fridges can bring big money if redone right. Or a nice keg fridge or just , yeah a smoker..............
      Don..

2 of me best buds ever! R.I.P guys

Comment

Well I have the majority of the fridge build and recorded on video but I can't afford the door seal at the moment. I'm On social security due to my diabetes and they are taking $250 away a month for my premiums, which leaves me with about$850 a month to live on and I have already explained to my kids that Christmas will be weak this year and they said "we understand we just want to be with you".

Made This 40 year old dad of 3 and granddad of 2 break down in years.

Ok So my real question is that I made a cold smoke generator much like smoke daddy.

Where Should I attach it to the fridge? Same Side as air inlet, or outdoor side of AI. Now I have incased my PID in the freezer box that was in the fridge and I want to attach that to the side of the fridge also.

Do You think it would be ok installing CSG under the PID on non fresh air intake side?

Now I'm Kind of mumbling and dragging on here and I would greatly appreciate and help or knowledge three persons on this site may offer.

Thanks Corby

Comment

Not sure what CSG is.

What size pipe did you use for the clone smoke daddy?

Not sure what your problem were with the amazing products but seems tey are pretty simple but require the the basics to work ....oxygen

I run pretty lean on O2 so I add pieces of charcoal mingled in pellets or dust.

took car of my problem and no more creosote.

But to answer your question in my opinion on the placement of the smoke generator the lower the better.

Comment

CSG - Cold Smoke Generator
            AI - Air intake

I don't think that it matters where you pipe the smoke daddy, as if I understand them properly, they have their own air intake via a small pump so oxygen originates outside of the fridge...in which case it is more of a cold smoke injector and you can inject the output of the smoke daddy into the smoking chamber wherever you have room, but I'd keep the port low in the cabinet.

If you can manage some pics of your workpiece that would help us visualize it! Good luck and keep us posted.
            BBQ Eng.

The "Cow Girls" were adopted from the shelter, and found on petfinder.com.
            Adopt a homeless pet - http://www.petfinder.com
            I built the Iron Maiden - Iron Maiden Smoker Build

Over 5000 unreadable posts...Photobucket can kiss my ass...they will never get a dime. I will not pay a ransom.

Comment

Originally posted by BBQ Engineer View Post
              CSG - Cold Smoke Generator
              AI - Air intake
              Thanks a few too many beers last night to figure it out.

Comment

Ok well this has stalled due to family drama, and snowfall and temperatures.

But I will be staying back into this atk and hopefully having out operational in about 2. Sorry about the double post earlier don't know why it did that.

Comment

Well good to see your still at it. Sometimes walking away from a project for a while will get a different perspective.

I like the PID idea, I run one for jerky and sausage. The brink man element is a good idea as well, I would keep a spare on hand as I have seen them burn out in the middle of cooks and PID's are hard o them.

I made my smoke generator version 1 out of a truck drive shaft probably about 3 1/2 inches or so. I would make the pipe going to the smoker at least 3/4 or one inch just to make cleaning easier.

Making a pellet tray is a little easier and gave me a little more versatility but they need fresh air.

Comment

I week do my best to take some pics of the smoke generator I made and try to post then tomorrow our Wednesday.

Comment

Working...
                    X