The Jerky Cabinet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Jerky Cabinet

As talked about in this thread, I have been trying to figure out a way to increase my capacity for smoking jerky. With my Smoke N Pit and an extra rack I can only do 5 pounds at a time. I was having a difficult time finding a vertical with the size I liked for the amount of money I wanted to spend. I had started to design a vertical that would use a hot plate then got the idea to build something that can sit on a horizontal smoker with the lid off. The SnP's clamshell design was perfect for that.

So now I present . . . the Jerky Cabinet.

Weight was an issue that concerned me a bit since the SnP does not have the strongest legs on the market. So it's made out of 3/8" plywood and has a variable speed computer fan on top for extra evacuation of humidity when doing jerky.

It has slots for 5 racks but I only have 4 in now as I can do some on the SnP rack.

It has rails above and below the rack so they can slide out with out falling.

It was designed to fit on top of this guy.

with the lid removed.

I'm just warming it up now and as it came up to temp, the top and bottom temps were pretty even.

It seems to draft pretty well without the fan so I'm just letting it go at 165ish° for awhile. That was the magic temp back in my dry kiln operator days for setting pitch, killing blue stain, etc. I'll let it go like this for awhile then I'll put on some hickory chips to "season" it so to speak.

Hopefully next weekend I can do some jerky in it.
    CUHS Metal Shop Reverse Flow
    UDS 1.0
    Afterburner
    Weber Performer
    Blue Thermapen
    Thermoworks Smoke with Gateway
    Thermoworks Chef Alarm
    Auber Smoker Controller
    Proud Smoked-Meat Member #88
    -
    "All welcome, take what ya need, share what ya know. " -- Richtee, 12/2/2010

Great idea and execution Dave!
    sigpic

Comment

That's using the melon.....

Impressive!
      Pete
      Large BGE
      Char Broil Tru-Infrared Commercial series

Comment

In playing with the fan when I first got it I noticed that it did not want to run real slow without stalling. So I was concerned that it would suck too much heat out of the cabinet if I gave it enough juice to run. Doesn't seem to be the case though.

Temps had stabilized at 165° and I put the fan on and turned it on full blast. Went back 10 minutes later to check . . .

I bumped the burner up a bit and it came right back up to 172° in just a few minutes.

I'm pretty pleased with the test run. And the best thing is it didn't catch fire and end up as a pile of ashes in the belly of the SnP.

I'll have to give it a go next Saturday with some meat.
        UDS 1.0
        Afterburner
        Weber Performer
        Blue Thermapen
        Thermoworks Chef Alarm
        Auber Smoker Controller
        -

Comment

Freaking awesome invention there
          Island of Misfit Smokers Member #92

How to heal the world. Love people and feed them tasty food.

sigpic

Comment

You da' man.

Drinks well with others

~ P4 ~

Comment

That's a hell of a jerky machine right there...
              Craig
              sigpic

Comment

Think some alum angle along the bottom to space the wood off the grill might be a good idea? Keep the wood off the hot metal? I dunno. wood cabs just scare me. At min..they slowly turn to charcoal
                In God I trust- All others pay cash...
                Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
                Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Looks Great, Dave!!---
                  There's a lot more effect actually seeing the unit, instead of looking at the drawings.
                  I love it !!

I agree with Rich though about the wood against hot grill metal for time & time again.
                  It'll keep drying out & getting more risky, I would think.

Bear
                  Vietnam Vet---9th Inf. Div. Mekong Delta (1969)
                  Easy to follow Step By Steps: Pulled Cured Boston Butt Ham and Buckboard Bacon--Smoked Salmon-- Bacon-On-A-Stick--Bacon (Extra Smokey)--Boneless Cured & Smoked Pork Chops & CB--Canadian Bacon & Dried Beef--Ham Twins (Double Smoked)--Double Smoked Hams X 4--Bear Logs (All Beef--Unstuffed)--Smoked Bear Loaf (All Beef-Mild Hot)--Prime Rib (My Best ever)--Another Prime Rib--Chucky (Pulled Beef)--Twin Chuckies--Pork and Beef Spares--Rare Beef (for Sammies)--Raspberry Chiffon Pie---

Mom & 4 Cub litter---Potter County, PA:

Comment

Thanks for the nice comments and points, folks.

Originally posted by Richtee View Post
                    I dunno. wood cabs just scare me. At min..they slowly turn to charcoal
                    Originally posted by Bearcarver View Post
                    I agree with Rich though about the wood against hot grill metal for time & time again.
                    It'll keep drying out & getting more risky, I would think.
                    Yeah, the thought did cross my mind. Which is why it is at the far end of the smoker and it is not placed under anything flammable.

Interestingly enough I did not need much more flame on the burner than when I normally smoke jerky. Granted this was empty.

But sadly, I don't think I'll get to use it enough times for it to dry out too much. As a condition of building the reverse flow, I agreed to get rid of one Weber, one UDS and the SnP. But the idea was already in motion before the RF build got approved.

The SnP will be spruced up and put on craigslist within the next couple of months. But the RF will have about 70% of the rack space as the Jerky Cabinet so I'm thinking I can do quite a bit on it.

Originally posted by Fishawn View Post
                    Great idea and execution Dave!
                    In the spirit of full disclosure, I can't take credit for the execution. It was a shop teacher. Woodshop this time. Awhile back I was asking hsi advice on materials to keep it light and the best way to put it together. Next thing I know he was sketching it out on paper. My co-workers are really awesome.
                    Last edited by DDave; 01-28-2018, 11:32 AM.
                    UDS 1.0
                    Afterburner
                    Weber Performer
                    Blue Thermapen
                    Thermoworks Chef Alarm
                    Auber Smoker Controller
                    -

Comment

I like it!
                      Sunset Eagle Aviation
                      https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sunse...888015?fref=ts <... We sure could use some likes!

Comment

Cool idea, looks like it will work well.

Comment

Originally posted by Richtee View Post
                          Think some alum angle along the bottom to space the wood off the grill might be a good idea? Keep the wood off the hot metal? I dunno. wood cabs just scare me. At min..they slowly turn to charcoal
                          Added some wood stove gasket to the bottom to help hinder any attempts on its part to catch fire.

Will probably help it seal better also although I'm really not too worried about that.
                          UDS 1.0
                          Afterburner
                          Weber Performer
                          Blue Thermapen
                          Thermoworks Chef Alarm
                          Auber Smoker Controller
                          -

Comment

I like it Dave

When does it get the real test run? Like the concept, seems perfect for jerky, and smoked fish
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Fishawn View Post
                              When does it get the real test run?
                              Hopefully Sunday.
                              UDS 1.0
                              Afterburner
                              Weber Performer
                              Blue Thermapen
                              Thermoworks Chef Alarm
                              Auber Smoker Controller
                              -

Comment

Working...
                              X