Miso Soup from Scratch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Miso Soup from Scratch

Ok, made another trip by the Super H Mart last week. Man they have a fantastic produce department, including a wonderful array of mushrooms. They also have a lot of Japanese stuff, although that is not their mainstay. Anyway, I usually make Dashi from the instant packets, and they aren't bad, but really don't compare with making Dashi from scratch. So, first you start with 4 cups of water and add a piece or two of Kombu (dried Kelp). Allow that to soak for several hours up to overnight. Then bring up the heat until you begin to see bubbles form.

If you allow it to boil, your stock will be slimy and bitter:

Save the Kombu for making Furikake later:

Then add 30 grams of Katsuobushi (Bonito Flakes), and bring to the boil, remove from heat and steep for about 10 minutes, or until the Bonito flakes sink:

Then strain through a paper towel, and save the spent Bonito flakes for making Furikake later. After that you can bring back to a simmer and begin adding your other ingredients, like the wonderful mushrooms, including mini King Oysters, brown Beach, Oyster and Maitake (Hen of the Woods):

Next I added about 8 shrimp that I cut up, and 4 Shanghai Bok Choy and a container of Silken Tofu diced. I also boiled the tails for the additional flavor:

Last addition, White Miso (Shiro Miso) added through a strainer:

The final result:

Man this was really good. Mrs. Snarlingiron really liked it too, although she admitted that it was right at the edge of her tolerance for Umami flavor. The beauty of the really good Dashi, is that you can pretty much add anything that you like. Thanks for Lookin'
    A few of my favorite things:
    Good Whiskey
    Good Food
    Bad Girls
    sigpic

NRA Endowment Member
    Certified Glock Armorer

Mon, that looks really good! Thanks fer sharin!!!
    Mark
    sigpic

"Likes smokey old pool rooms, clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?
    Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head!

Comment

Great cook. That looks delicious.
      Jim

Comment

Bravo! Excellent cook sir!
        sigpic

Comment

That sounds awesome I'd love to give it a try sometime
          Mike
          Life In Pit Row

Comment

I guess I'm on the outside here.. I have no clue what this is.. It is not something I have ever heard of or have looked for in food...

It looks great, but does not look filling..
            Ken

I Should Have Been Rich Instead Of Being So Good Looking

Comment

Understand, Ken. Dashi is the basis of a huge amount of Japanese cooking. Miso is fermented soy bean paste. It is fermented with koji, the same fungus that is used to make sake. Thing is, it is very high in protein , as is the tofu and of course the shrimp. Mushrooms are very meaty and filling. Bottom line, one large bowl of this is all either me or my wife wanted for the evening. Miso also contains live probiotics, and that is why you add it at end. If it gets boiled, the beneficial bacteria, etc. gets destroyed. Miso soup is served along with the rice course at nearly every Japanese meal. If you have ever been to any Japanese restaurant, you have almost assuredly had Miso soup. If you haven't experienced Japanese cuisine, you should. While Sushi is common, there is much more than that. If Sushi is off putting, try one of the Hibachi grill places, or a tepan yaki restaurant.

I will say that the Miso soup you will get at most restaurants isn't going to be like what I made. It will be made with instant Dashi, so won't have quite the depth of flavor, and it will usually only have a couple of small pieces of tofu and a few strands of sea weed, but you will get the idea.
              Last edited by Snarlingiron; 07-05-2017, 09:20 PM.
              Good Whiskey
              Good Food
              Bad Girls
              sigpic

NRA Endowment Member
              Certified Glock Armorer

Comment

Nicely done! I'd hit that!

Comment

Sir Snarls, looks like you nailed that! I've had Miso Soup, butt it never looked that good!!

Drinks well with others

~ P4 ~

Comment

Off to H Mart......I love that place.

How much miso do you need for 4 cups water?

Is there a brand of tofu that you prefer?

Is this a wing it type of soup or do you have a recipe with amounts?

What other mushrooms can be used if they do not have those in stock?
                    Last edited by nickelmore; 07-08-2017, 09:39 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by nickelmore View Post
                      Off to H Mart......I love that place.

How much miso do you need for 4 cups water?
                      about 1/4 cup

Is there a brand of tofu that you prefer?
                      Nope, just used their house brand

Is this a wing it type of soup or do you have a recipe with amounts?
                      Winged it all the way. Used the mushrooms they had, its all good

What other mushrooms can be used if they do not have those in stock?
                      I think about anything would work.

Let us know how it comes out.
                      Good Whiskey
                      Good Food
                      Bad Girls
                      sigpic

NRA Endowment Member
                      Certified Glock Armorer

Comment

Thanks, I love it!

Comment