Content Files
Links 0 Ads 1
Links Ads
More...
Old 08-11-2017, 08:43 AM
Smoked-Meat Newbie

frady2001 Knows How To Start A Fire In A Pit
Default Traeger Texas 34 vs rec tec 680

If I have missed other threads on this, please forgive me. I've just moved and until cable is dug, I'm on a smartphone.

I've had a traeger Lil Texas elite for about 5 years and loved it. I didn't maintain it as well as I should have and it got tossed in the move. Time for an upgrade.

I was just going to buy the Texas elite 34 until I saw the rec tec 680. Delivered, the 34 is $900 and the 680 is $1200. The pictures of the 680 are gorgeous, but I can't inspect in person.

I want it primarily as a smoker, but the option to grill is nice. Mostly pork butts (never more than two at a time), smoked turkey, ribs (3 racks at a time) and brisket. I do like midnight brisket (putting it on at midnight), so the larger hopper would be nice for that.

I'm in north Florida, so cold isn't an issue.

Is the rec tec worth $300 more than the traeger? I don't really want to spend more than $1200.

Thank you for your time and opinions.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

#ADS  
 is online
Smoked-Meat Ads

Old 08-11-2017, 09:53 AM
Fishawn Wannabie

Doug S. Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodDoug S. Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodDoug S. Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodDoug S. Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodDoug S. Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodDoug S. Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodDoug S. Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodDoug S. Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodDoug S. Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodDoug S. Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodDoug S. Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodDoug S. Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodDoug S. Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodDoug S. Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodDoug S. Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodDoug S. Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodDoug S. Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodDoug S. Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodDoug S. Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodDoug S. Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling God

from Utah

I gotta believe the RecTec is hands down better than a traeger
Weber 22.5" Kettle Silver
Weber 22.5" Kettle Gold
Weber 1990 22.5" 3 Wheeler
Weber 18.5" Kettle
Weber 18.5" Bud Light Kettle
Weber Smokey Joe
Maverick ET 73 and ET 732
6X8 A Maze N Smoker and Tube Smoker
Fastest Themapen on the market BLACK
The Vortex
Old 08-11-2017, 10:36 AM
still learning

chasbates Is Just Starting Out

You might want to look at Pellet Pro. I put their pellet hopper on my Treager Tex and could not be more pleased with the way she works.
Old 08-12-2017, 09:35 AM
Rub Mixer

zeroghd Is  A Name Known To All
zeroghd Is  A Name Known To Allzeroghd Is  A Name Known To Allzeroghd Is  A Name Known To Allzeroghd Is  A Name Known To Allzeroghd Is  A Name Known To Allzeroghd Is  A Name Known To Allzeroghd Is  A Name Known To Allzeroghd Is  A Name Known To Allzeroghd Is  A Name Known To Allzeroghd Is  A Name Known To Allzeroghd Is  A Name Known To Allzeroghd Is  A Name Known To Allzeroghd Is  A Name Known To Allzeroghd Is  A Name Known To Allzeroghd Is  A Name Known To Allzeroghd Is  A Name Known To Allzeroghd Is  A Name Known To Allzeroghd Is  A Name Known To Allzeroghd Is  A Name Known To Allzeroghd Is  A Name Known To Allzeroghd Is  A Name Known To Allzeroghd Is  A Name Known To Allzeroghd Is  A Name Known To Allzeroghd Is  A Name Known To All

Have you considered a Yoder? The YS480 is their smaller model and I can vouch for their quality and performance. I own the YS640 and love it.
A guy I work with had a Traeger and got tired of jacking with it. He kept having to work on it and replace parts pretty regularly. He upgraded to a Yoder and he couldn't be happier with it.
Rec Tec...China
Traeger...China
Yoder...USA
Just sayin'

YS 640
Primo Oval XL
Lone Star Grillz 24x48
Not so Ugly Drum Smoker
Weber Copper Top
Old Smokey
Orion
Gasser
2 Sack Crawfish Boiler by R&V Works
24" Disco with custom burner
Red Thermapen
2-Maverick ET-733

Old 08-12-2017, 09:51 AM
I got nothin

SMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To All
SMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To All

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeroghd View Post
Have you considered a Yoder? The YS480 is their smaller model and I can vouch for their quality and performance. I own the YS640 and love it.
A guy I work with had a Traeger and got tired of jacking with it. He kept having to work on it and replace parts pretty regularly. He upgraded to a Yoder and he couldn't be happier with it.
Rec Tec...China
Traeger...China
Yoder...USA
Just sayin'
This I know is true...
Old 08-12-2017, 10:58 AM
The BBQer coneSEWER

Otis857 Is  A Name Known To AllOtis857 Is  A Name Known To All
Otis857 Is  A Name Known To AllOtis857 Is  A Name Known To AllOtis857 Is  A Name Known To AllOtis857 Is  A Name Known To AllOtis857 Is  A Name Known To AllOtis857 Is  A Name Known To AllOtis857 Is  A Name Known To AllOtis857 Is  A Name Known To AllOtis857 Is  A Name Known To AllOtis857 Is  A Name Known To AllOtis857 Is  A Name Known To AllOtis857 Is  A Name Known To AllOtis857 Is  A Name Known To AllOtis857 Is  A Name Known To AllOtis857 Is  A Name Known To AllOtis857 Is  A Name Known To All

Welcome to the site. You might look at a Green Mountain Grills unit too. I love my yoder and had it since 2012, but a friend loves his GMG and it has some good wifi connectivity that is appealing too, if you're into that. Been trouble free for him for a few years now and cheaper than a Yoder. Not near as stout, but its been good to him so far.

PCa Sucks - But I WILL, No DID beat this!!

Yoder YS640
POS ChinaMasterbuilt XL (demoted to cold smoking duty)
Bull Big Bahanga gas grill

Of all the things I've ever lost, I miss my mind the most!
Old 08-13-2017, 05:55 AM
<--- Me Li'l Sous Chef

HawgHeaven Is  A Name Known To AllHawgHeaven Is  A Name Known To AllHawgHeaven Is  A Name Known To AllHawgHeaven Is  A Name Known To AllHawgHeaven Is  A Name Known To AllHawgHeaven Is  A Name Known To AllHawgHeaven Is  A Name Known To All
HawgHeaven Is  A Name Known To AllHawgHeaven Is  A Name Known To AllHawgHeaven Is  A Name Known To AllHawgHeaven Is  A Name Known To AllHawgHeaven Is  A Name Known To AllHawgHeaven Is  A Name Known To AllHawgHeaven Is  A Name Known To AllHawgHeaven Is  A Name Known To AllHawgHeaven Is  A Name Known To AllHawgHeaven Is  A Name Known To AllHawgHeaven Is  A Name Known To AllHawgHeaven Is  A Name Known To AllHawgHeaven Is  A Name Known To AllHawgHeaven Is  A Name Known To AllHawgHeaven Is  A Name Known To AllHawgHeaven Is  A Name Known To AllHawgHeaven Is  A Name Known To AllHawgHeaven Is  A Name Known To AllHawgHeaven Is  A Name Known To AllHawgHeaven Is  A Name Known To AllHawgHeaven Is  A Name Known To AllHawgHeaven Is  A Name Known To AllHawgHeaven Is  A Name Known To All

Yoder. I don't own one, butt know people who do. They love them.

~ P4 ~

There are good ships and wood ships,
The ships that sail the sea,
But the best ships are friendships,
And may they always be.

http://www.hhsbbq.com
Old 08-13-2017, 09:12 AM
Pit Master

tenacious bee Is  A Name Known To Alltenacious bee Is  A Name Known To All
tenacious bee Is  A Name Known To Alltenacious bee Is  A Name Known To Alltenacious bee Is  A Name Known To Alltenacious bee Is  A Name Known To Alltenacious bee Is  A Name Known To Alltenacious bee Is  A Name Known To Alltenacious bee Is  A Name Known To Alltenacious bee Is  A Name Known To Alltenacious bee Is  A Name Known To Alltenacious bee Is  A Name Known To Alltenacious bee Is  A Name Known To Alltenacious bee Is  A Name Known To Alltenacious bee Is  A Name Known To Alltenacious bee Is  A Name Known To Alltenacious bee Is  A Name Known To All

Of the two you mentioned spend the extra money and get the rec tec. It only takes a few minutes of research to make that determination. Best bang for buck under a thousand dollars? In my opinion, is the camp chef woodwind. 899 with sear box and 699 without. Features not found anywhere else at this point. The hopper dump for changing pellets, bottom fire box clean out and that 900 degree sear box is a master stroke of genius. I have my searing needs handled quite nicely so I could skip the sear box version. Though they rate the cooking surface higher on the sear box model the actual smoking area is the same as the rib rack capacity is rated at four on both models. All of that said if cost is no object then Yoder all the way. Cost is an object for me so it will be the camp chef woodwind when I decide to purchase.
22.5" Weber Silver
UDS X 2
Masterbuilt 30" MES digital
Masterbuilt MES 40" digital
Char Broil Big Easy 3 in 1
Charbroil COS with Ron Fischer mods.
5" AMZNPS
Vortex x 2
Walmart gasser for Mrs Bee.
Maverick ET 73
Maverick ET 732
Maverixk Pro Temp instant read thermometer
Pitmaster iQue 110
Old 08-15-2017, 11:13 PM
Smoked-Meat Newbie

Thank you all for your help. I'm looking for a little larger smoker, so the Yoder and woodwind are a little smaller than I'd like.

The camp chef smoke pro LUX caught my eye though.

I'm going with the Rec Tec, but the camp chef, GMG and Yoder were all very interesting. I did think the rec tec grills were US made, so that is disappointing.

Thank you for the info. I'll make a proper introduction and post some pictures this week.

Old 08-16-2017, 06:09 PM
Fire Starter

jtrainor56 Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling Teacherjtrainor56 Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling Teacherjtrainor56 Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling Teacherjtrainor56 Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling Teacherjtrainor56 Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling Teacherjtrainor56 Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling Teacherjtrainor56 Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling Teacher

When I started looking for pellet smokers almost 4 years ago, I dragged the wife all over SE PA to look a smokers, both at different dealers and at BBQ competitions. We thought that the Yoder was expensive as well but after seeing it at a comp in New Holland we were both sold.

Three and a half years later we have no regrets in spending the money for the Yoder YS640. It sits out on my open deck year round (covered when not used) and I am out there in the rain, snow, heat and whatever else we have, smoking. The great thing I see with Yoder and have not seen with other manufactures is that Yoder keeps improving the smoker, listens to their customers and makes upgrades that I can add to my 3+ year old smoker without breaking the bank.

As for space, I did a 23 hour smoke that entailed a 18lb full packer after trimming 3 pounds of fat off it, two 10lb boston butts, 6 racks of baby backs and moink balls and ABT's wrapped in bacon in any free space that was available.
2 Mavericks ET732
Blue Thermapen
6" & 12" AMNTS
Q-MATS
"Yoder YS Pellet Grills (Fan Page)" on Facebook
Old 08-16-2017, 08:28 PM
Biltong King

Fishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To All
Fishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To All

Not sure if you have an ACE Hardware near you? I just got a flyer today from my local ACE. They have 15% off all grills in stock. Might be worth a look? My local carries Traegers.

My buddy has had a GMG for a couple years and really likes it. I have cooked ribs, wings, ABT's with him on it a few times. Great cooker!! No problems yet. He is moving next year and said he's leaving it for me

If I were to buy one, I think I would probably go with a Yoder personally. Based on the reviews from the folks in this forum. Especially Wingman. He's got a website with a lot of his Yoder cooks and reviews on all kinds of stuff.

PLUS, HE'S FROM WASHINGTON!

Check it oot smokingpit.com

Also Mossymo and Tatonka (Owensbbq.com)

Last edited by Fishawn; 08-17-2017 at 01:52 AM.
Old 08-16-2017, 08:39 PM
I got nothin

SMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To All
SMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To All

A friend of mine had some problems with his Yoder...Cant remember what...They sent a guy to his house to fix it...For free...Made in America has it's advantages I guess...
Old 09-02-2017, 07:44 PM
Smoked-Meat Newbie

Thanks for all the replies. Thought long and hard on the woodwind and the Yoder, decided to go with the rec tec.

So far I love it and it is a big improvement over the old treager lil tex.

Making pork belly burnt ends tomorrow.

Old 09-02-2017, 07:51 PM
Pit Master

zombini Is  A Name Known To All
zombini Is  A Name Known To Allzombini Is  A Name Known To Allzombini Is  A Name Known To Allzombini Is  A Name Known To Allzombini Is  A Name Known To Allzombini Is  A Name Known To Allzombini Is  A Name Known To Allzombini Is  A Name Known To Allzombini Is  A Name Known To Allzombini Is  A Name Known To Allzombini Is  A Name Known To Allzombini Is  A Name Known To Allzombini Is  A Name Known To Allzombini Is  A Name Known To Allzombini Is  A Name Known To Allzombini Is  A Name Known To Allzombini Is  A Name Known To Allzombini Is  A Name Known To Allzombini Is  A Name Known To Allzombini Is  A Name Known To Allzombini Is  A Name Known To Allzombini Is  A Name Known To Allzombini Is  A Name Known To Allzombini Is  A Name Known To All

Everything looks great! If you are enjoying it thats all that matters
z
Weber Smokey Joe
Weber Genesis Silver
Smokin Tex
MES 40 with legs Gen 2.5
Maverick ET 732
Brown and lime green ThermaPens
2 orange ThermoPops
A-Maze-N Tube 18"
A-Maze-N Smoker 5"x8"
Vortex
Old 09-03-2017, 02:44 PM
Smoked-Meat Newbie

FishDaddy09 Is Just Starting Out
Default cooking steaks?

I'm thinking about getting a pellet grill. I'm not sure about how it works when cooking a steak or burgers.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Smoked-Meat Forums > Pellet Smokers