Bigger and better Intakes ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by The Great White North View Post
    and 3 - 3/4" NPT nipples installed near the bottom will give me just shy of 5 & 1/3" of intake.
    Not sure how you are calculating the area of a circle but three 3/4" intakes will give you 1.32 square inches of intake.

Three 1" intakes will give you 2.36 square inches of intake.

A 2" exhaust will give you 3.14 square inches of exhaust.
    http://www.calculator.net/circle-calculator.html

As Jim stated, exhaust needs to be more than intake and an excessively long stack can cause problems.
    CUHS Metal Shop Reverse Flow
    UDS 1.0
    Afterburner
    Weber Performer
    Blue Thermapen
    Thermoworks Smoke with Gateway
    Thermoworks Chef Alarm
    Auber Smoker Controller
    Proud Smoked-Meat Member #88
    -
    "All welcome, take what ya need, share what ya know. " -- Richtee, 12/2/2010

Comment

Originally posted by BYBBQ View Post
      "My end goal is to be able to run up to 425° reliably when I want to bake biscuits and for certain other cooking situations such as flatbread pizzas and the like."

If this is your end goal, then just install a grate higher up in the drum to hold the fire basket and another grate for a difuser just above the fire basket. Easier to achieve higher temps. You're not heating the whole drum to a high heat only the top half.
      There's a pic here somewhere that I posted for this set-up with the dimensions.
      That is an idea that I considered as well.

I was thinking when I set up whatever I use for inner studs to hold grill racks in place I could incorporate some sort of extension adjustment towards center to suspend the fire box.

There are 3 slightly larger diameter rings spaced along the walls that I was thinking would work well as sight marks to evenly space attachment points along the entire height of the drum.

The tallest location for a cooking grill would be only about 2" below the top of the drum, but I do have an fairly tall lid from an old Sunbeam kettle which already seals off on the rim perfectly if I needed the room to beercan chickens or spatchcock a large turkey.
      ==============

Drinking is like playing golf... you'd best be prepared to play every club in your bag.

Steve the Bartender

There are no bad briskets... only poorly executed ones.

Steve the Food Man

Comment

Originally posted by DDave View Post
        Not sure how you are calculating the area of a circle but three 3/4" intakes will give you 1.32 square inches of intake.

Three 1" intakes will give you 2.36 square inches of intake.

A 2" exhaust will give you 3.14 square inches of exhaust.
        http://www.calculator.net/circle-calculator.html

As Jim stated, exhaust needs to be more than intake and an excessively long stack can cause problems.
        Well look at the egg on my face!!... I was using diameter and not radius in my calculation. You are quite right DDave and thank you for the correction to my course.

What would you gents consider excessive height? I was looking at no more than a couple of inches tall... cetainly no more than 3.
        ==============

Drinking is like playing golf... you'd best be prepared to play every club in your bag.

Steve the Bartender

Steve the Food Man

Comment

Either you want to build a UDS or you want to build a high temp oven. Also you need to use a tape measure and put supports where needed and not hope the rings on the drum will work.
          Your overthinking everything by trying to combine too many different styles of setups. The different styles can and will sometimes fight each other and nothing will work right.
          Start with a basic build and see how it works, then you can see what you may need to do or maybe you'll have to do nothing.

Same way the raised dome type lid will not cook the same as a flat lid and using a difuser will change how it burns. Best pick one lid and go from there.

You're looking for answers to problems you don't even know if you have yet because you haven't built and used the drum yet.
          Jim

Comment

Originally posted by BYBBQ View Post
            Have you cooked on this UDS yet or is this you thinking what you need?

3 - 3/4" intakes is enough to get 350° Only 1 will be open most times
            should only need 1 - 2" exhaust also
            Exhaust should always be wide open. caps are only good for shutting down when done cooking and then keeping the rain out. a tin can will do the same thing.
            Most are std 2"NPT pipe threads. 6"-8" threaded pipe nipples is all that is needed. anything taller may even hurt the air flow. it can cause a vortex effect and the air will swirl and not flow out right.
            Originally posted by The Great White North View Post
            Well look at the egg on my face!!... I was using diameter and not radius in my calculation. You are quite right DDave and thank you for the correction to my course.

What would you gents consider excessive height? I was looking at no more than a couple of inches tall... cetainly no more than 3.
            Answered in this post
            Jim

Comment

You are correct in your analysis Jim that I am looking to build a multi-tasker and then throw in a kitchen sink while I'm at it. I am well on my way with a traditional design on THIS FIRST build, and much of what I am allowing to "run off the rails" here with my train of thought I agree is excessive and could be counter-productive.

Knowing my track record with trying my hand at any DIY projects I went ahead and picked up an extra drum when I got my first one (seeing as they were only $15 a throw), and a lot of my ideas and questions are in an effort to mine the experience and wisdom of the group to inform & guide me down a successful path.

I apologize if I am trying anyone's patience in my posts and my thirst to learn from y'all. In my perusal of many of the sub-forums and individual threads while I was just a rather than a registered member, it is clear to me that this site and it's members are a treasure trove of tribal knowledge with positively riDONKulous amounts of experience. I can have issues seeing the forest when I start concentrating on just the trees, and I will attempt to limit the scope of my queries and comments to stay on topic with the OP's initial subject.

But do not doubt that I always am thankful and appreciative of all feedback and every reply that y'all have shared.
              ==============

Steve the Bartender

Steve the Food Man

Comment

I do understand what you are saying, but what works for one person may not be what another person thinks works for him. Everyone has a different opinion of what they like or what works. That's why I said build a simple UDS(that you can change & upgrade) and cook on it a few times to find out what will work or not work for you. Then address what outcome you want to correct or change to.
                Trying to answer hypothetical scenarios will do nothing but add confusion to your thought process. Use the KISS method to get started on your build.
                Good luck with the build.

We'll all be here to help if need be in the future.

Maybe start a new thread about your build with pics.
                Jim

Comment

well made and taken. Thanks Jim.
                  ==============

Steve the Bartender

Steve the Food Man

Comment

Working...
                  X