Competition practice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Competition practice

2 weeks before my first competition still working on getting things dialed in...brisket is there ribs are clos2

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Practice makes perfect!!!

Comment

Looks great!

Good luck in your comp
      sigpic

Comment

Can I come over and help eat practice?

Comment

They look great for backyard!

For Comp they both look dry. Might wanna try cooking the ribs a little shorter time and wrapping them in foil.
          The brisket I would also maybe pull a little earlier and get into some kind of stock, broth or sauce in foil.
          Remember they will continue to cook after you pull them out. They will usually be foiled for at least an hour before boxing and turn in.
          On the right path!

Not sure what area your in, judges tastes vary from region to region. Down here it is sweet, not hot. If ya can I would visit a comp and pick the brains of the smokers as to what the judges prefer. Remember, you are not cooking for you, you are cooking for the judges. They usually have a pretty narrow view of preference.....with some wild card tossed in.

Give um hell!
          Mark
          sigpic

"Likes smokey old pool rooms, clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?
          Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head!

Comment

Originally posted by Mark R View Post
            They look great for backyard!

For Comp they both look dry. Might wanna try cooking the ribs a little shorter time and wrapping them in foil.
            The brisket I would also maybe pull a little earlier and get into some kind of stock, broth or sauce in foil.
            Remember they will continue to cook after you pull them out. They will usually be foiled for at least an hour before boxing and turn in.
            On the right path!

Not sure what area your in, judges tastes vary from region to region. Down here it is sweet, not hot. If ya can I would visit a comp and pick the brains of the smokers as to what the judges prefer. Remember, you are not cooking for you, you are cooking for the judges. They usually have a pretty narrow view of preference.....with some wild card tossed in.

Give um hell!
            Thanks for the input I appreciate it

Comment

yup. hard to be a judge based on pics. Look mighty pretty from here.

be careful about getting too much char on your ribs. Don't get me wrong, I would wrestle you at the table for the last one but those bastards that do the judging are always stupidly picky. As mentioned before, brisket needs to be moist but definitely not swimming in juice; otherwise its called stew...

best of luck. worst case scenario is that comps cost a fortune but you come home with a shit ton of leftovers and a bunch of empty beer cans!
              sigpic

Some days I think Bravo Zulu, other days it's more like Whiskey Tango Foxtrot...

Comment

Originally posted by jwbtulsa View Post
                yup. hard to be a judge based on pics. Look mighty pretty from here.

be careful about getting too much char on your ribs. Don't get me wrong, I would wrestle you at the table for the last one but those bastards that do the judging are always stupidly picky. As mentioned before, brisket needs to be moist but definitely not swimming in juice; otherwise its called stew...

best of luck. worst case scenario is that comps cost a fortune but you come home with a shit ton of leftovers and a bunch of empty beer cans!
                So this makes it sound like a great time
                Craig
                sigpic

Comment

The only thing I remember from competitions is definitely no brush stroke lines of bbq sauce on ribs in the box you turn in. For me near impossible to do. Those silicone brushes kind of help make it doable.

Comment

Originally posted by Mark R View Post
                    Remember, you are not cooking for you, you are cooking for the judges. They usually have a pretty narrow view of preference.....with some wild card tossed in.
                    !
                    those bastards that do the judging are always stupidly picky.
                    That is the best advice. It doesn't make a shit bit of difference what you like. I happen to like spicy...and that is how I cooked. Turns out the table I pulled there was a couple that didn't...All high scores with some shit bags throwing in a 6...with a nasty note to boot at the spice level of my chicken by one. The others at the table LOVED it. That's just how it goes.

Another thing, you may want to attend a judging class and take it in. I was a KCBS judge simply to know what they were focusing on. Then you need to research what the percentage of certified judges are at the comp you cook...you will do better if you cook for peeps that know what to look for versus John Q Public that wants to get a free taste of competition quality BBQ. Personally my Q is different when I competed than it is when I cook for me and my family. I like my ribs a little more fall off the bone...that is overcooked at a comp.

Dude, you post up some delicious looking eats...I'm sure you will hold your own, but don't get discouraged if you don't. It is a complete crap shoot at what table gets your turn in box...and that's how it works.
                    Last edited by BBQ Engineer; 04-10-2017, 09:00 PM.
                    BBQ Eng.

The "Cow Girls" were adopted from the shelter, and found on petfinder.com.
                    Adopt a homeless pet - http://www.petfinder.com
                    I built the Iron Maiden - Iron Maiden Smoker Build

Over 5000 unreadable posts...Photobucket can kiss my ass...they will never get a dime. I will not pay a ransom.

Comment

I would like to day thank you to all thst gave advice and pointers...i am looking for to next weekends competition

Comment

Get um!
                        Mark
                        sigpic

"Likes smokey old pool rooms, clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?
                        Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head!

Comment

but those bastards that do the judging are always stupidly picky.
                          Cork sucking bastages! Sigh.

I for one... love the look of the ribs. Then again..I never score well with judges.
                          In God I trust- All others pay cash...
                          Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
                          Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Originally posted by Richtee View Post
                            ....I never score well with judges.
                            sounds like ya need a better lawyer.....
                            sigpic
                            it's all good my friend..........

Comment

It is a crap shoot at best! I took a KCBS judging class, hoping to get some inside info. Sure, there are some basics I learned, butt it all boils down to sight and taste buds. Your brisket and ribs looked good, but maybe a bit dry. I'd do what Mark R suggested.

Good luck bro... it's tough out there!

Drinks well with others

~ P4 ~

Comment

Working...
                              X