A proper intro

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Peter View Post
    I love Texas born there and lived there for 53 years. Sonny Bryan's on inwood dr in Dallas was my intro to serious BBQ. Still my favorite BBQ joint. Closes up when the meat runs out so you needed to get there early. The crowd was a combination of rich, poor, blue collar, white collar and the chairs were old wooden school desks. All had one thing in common love of great BBQ. I don't miss that Texas heat though. Working outdoors for 35 years took its toll. You can always put on enough clothes to get warm but you can't take off enough clothes to get cool. My cookbook is The Legends Of Texas BBQ. Also took an all day course one time by Paul Kirk which was fun.

Sonny's on inwood caught fire in 2011... They did rebuild it though.. Still looks old with a bit of new to it..
    Ken

I Should Have Been Rich Instead Of Being So Good Looking

Comment

Originally posted by Texas-Hunter View Post
      Ouch!! That hurts...

Welcome Peter, glad to have you here...
      Sorry I like Mountians, Public Hunting, (I have 40 acres But...), Change of seasons, Trout fishing, Snow, and the hunting oppurtunites is limitless in Montana as well as the Fishing. Texas to flat and hot.... Sorry JMHOL

Comment

Originally posted by Texas-Hunter View Post
        Sonny's on inwood caught fire in 2011... They did rebuild it though.. Still looks old with a bit of new to it..
        Wondered when that place would get a building wide grease fire. It oozed grease the way a French bakery grows yeast.

Some images here. Don't confuse the original with the franchises.
        https://www.google.com/search?q=soon...&client=safari
        Attached Files

Comment

Glad you are hear with us Peter!
          --- --- --- --- --- --- ---
          www.OwensBBQ.com

Comment

OK, Peter just order that book. Have any favorite recipes in there?

Comment

Originally posted by Pstores View Post
              OK, Peter just order that book. Have any favorite recipes in there?
              You will enjoy reading the book. Has a lot of Texas BBQ history. The central Texas Germans, east Texas black folks, southern Hispanic, west Texas cowboys. I generally always cook my chicken Marvin lange's way on page 64. A great easy rub is on page 63. Tony chachere's, malabar black pepper, salt. BBQ brisket sauce page 74. A lot of good recipes in there including beans and sides.

One thing about Texas (besides being big) that creates so much variety is that it is such a mixture of people as well as landscape. Look at a map of the USA and you'll see that the east pines end, oaks and hardwoods take over, then it moves west to mesquite. Strong Czech and German influence. I can't go through West, Texas without stopping for kolaches.

I'm also a TAMU Former Student and Johnny Manziel is AWESOME.

Comment

I am going to start making rubs and such. This maybe a good resource as well as here...

Comment

Glad to have ya!!!
                  Don

Humphrey's Pint
                  Weber Smokey Mountain 18.5"
                  Weber Performer (Black Top, Stainless Steel Table Edition circa 2005)
                  Blackstone Professional Series 36" Griddle
                  Weber Spirit SP-310 Gas Grill
                  Anova One Sous Vide
                  AMPS
                  Purple Thermapen
                  Maverick ET-733
                  DigIQ DX2
                  Misfit #1674

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Pstores View Post
                    I am going to start making rubs and such. This maybe a good resource as well as here...
                    I'll send along a free sample of something to shoot for for your address in a PM :{)
                    In God I trust- All others pay cash...
                    Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
                    Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Working...
                    X