New guy here

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New guy here

Want to say hi to all,I'm new to smoking just bought my first Oklahoma joe smoker and figure this could be a good place to learn some tips,tricks, and recipes from people that have more experience!![emoji2] [emoji2]

Sent from my SM-S902L using Tapatalk

from Utah

This be the place to learn a few things
    Masterbuilt Stainless Steel 40"
    Weber 22.5" WSM
    Weber Performer W/rotisserie X2
    Weber 22.5" Kettle Silver
    Weber 22.5" Kettle Gold
    Weber 1990 22.5" 3 Wheeler
    Weber 18.5" Kettle
    Weber 18.5" Bud Light Kettle
    Weber Smokey Joe
    GMG Daniel Boone
    Pit Barrel Cooker
    Maverick ET 73 and ET 732
    6X8 A Maze N Smoker and Tube Smoker
    Fastest Themapen on the market BLACK
    The Vortex

Comment

from Tacoma, WA!
      Smoke it.. and they will come!

Rob
      Recipes & Smokes in HD Video
      SmokingPit.com

Yoder YS640
      Yoder Wichita
      Arizona BBQ Outfitters Scottsdale
      Camp Chef FTG600 Flat Top Griddle
      Blackstone 22" Flat Top Griddle

Comment

from Kansas
        Is that a 16" or 20" OK Joe?
        I have a 20" OK Joe Longhorn...
        But it's about as old as you are

You got questions? Ask em and someone will be around to help ya out
        Craig
        sigpic

Comment

Welcome from Dayton!! Now go smoke some meat!!
          Brian

Certified Sausage & Pepper Head
          Yoder YS640
          Weber Genesis
          Weber 18.5" Kettle
          Weber Performer
          Misfit # 1899

sigpic

Comment

Welcome from Florida!

Ask away!
            Mark
            sigpic

"Likes smokey old pool rooms, clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?
            Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head!

Comment

Originally posted by SMOKE FREAK View Post
              from Kansas
              Is that a 16" or 20" OK Joe?
              I have a 20" OK Joe Longhorn...
              But it's about as old as you are [emoji38]

You got questions? Ask em and someone will be around to help ya out
              Mine is a highlander,its the smaller version.

Comment

Thank you all for the welcomes,my first question would be how do you not get the thick white smoke seems to me no matter what I do its just rolling out after I add my wood chuncks to my cooked down coals?The would seems to just smulder when I tone down my vents and I've been told its fine to have all that smoke but I've also been told you don't want all that dirty smoke?

Comment

Originally posted by christntdynomite View Post
                  Thank you all for the welcomes,my first question would be how do you not get the thick white smoke seems to me no matter what I do its just rolling out after I add my wood chuncks to my cooked down coals?The would seems to just smulder when I tone down my vents and I've been told its fine to have all that smoke but I've also been told you don't want all that dirty smoke?

Indeed dirty smoke makes for nasty 'cue...

First it sounds like you have too many coals for your cooker if you are trying to dial it back with the intake vents...That will cause the bad smoke from smoldering the wood...Perhaps too much wood at once?

I try to keep a bed of coals that doesn't need to have the intake vents pinched...Plenty of oxygen going to your fire is the key to clean smoke in my experience...However...I run my smoker with live fire and little to no smoldering...That can be done with your 16 incher but it takes patience and a lot of tending...But to me that is where the fun is...I love tending the fire

And NEVER close off the exhaust trying to control temps...

Soon someone else will tell you of the advantages of a charcoal basket and explain how that works for your smoker...It'll work for ya and make life easier if that's what you desire...

Which ever method you choose the key is experience...The more fires you light the more you will know what your smoker needs...
                  Craig
                  sigpic

Comment

Indeed dirty smoke makes for nasty 'cue...

First it sounds like you have too many coals for your cooker if you are trying to dial it back with the intake vents...That will cause the bad smoke from smoldering the wood...Perhaps too much wood at once?

I try to keep a bed of coals that doesn't need to have the intake vents pinched...Plenty of oxygen going to your fire is the key to clean smoke in my experience...However...I run my smoker with live fire and little to no smoldering...That can be done with your 16 incher but it takes patience and a lot of tending...But to me that is where the fun is...I love tending the fire

And NEVER close off the exhaust trying to control temps...

Soon someone else will tell you of the advantages of a charcoal basket and explain how that works for your smoker...It'll work for ya and make life easier if that's what you desire...

Which ever method you choose the key is experience...The more fires you light the more you will know what your smoker needs...
                    OK seems to me then that I am putting to many coals in my basket when I cook them down,because then once I get them all red I dump the chimney in my fire box and add a few wood chunks which would equal to much fuel to mantian at 250 ish.What your saying is control me temp with my charcoal/wood chuncks not my vents.OK I'm gonna start trying this and leave the vents open..

Comment

Originally posted by christntdynomite View Post
                      OK seems to me then that I am putting to many coals in my basket when I cook them down,because then once I get them all red I dump the chimney in my fire box and add a few wood chunks which would equal to much fuel to mantian at 250 ish.What your saying is control me temp with my charcoal/wood chuncks not my vents.OK I'm gonna start trying this and leave the vents open..

As much as possible...Sometimes the vents are your friend...Sometimes not...
                      Craig
                      sigpic

Comment

Another thing is don't rush things as soon as you dump the lit coals in your smoker...I usually wait 45 minutes to an hour before adding meat to the grill...Takes time to heat the grill and stabilize the temps...
                        Craig
                        sigpic

Comment

from Florida
                          Jim

Comment

Another thing is don't rush things as soon as you dump the lit coals in your smoker...I usually wait 45 minutes to an hour before adding meat to the grill...Takes time to heat the grill and stabilize the temps...
                            OK I got that down bring her up to temp, I did a half chimeny of coals this time with vents almost full open and it got me 270 and no thick smoke this round. Thank you for the response so fast I love tending to the fire too I think that makes it interesting

Comment

I'm from Arkansas by the way folks!!😆

Comment

Working...
                              X