Newbie needing help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newbie needing help

Hi there! Have just bought a 30" Masterbuilt Electric Smoker and thought this was going to be fairly simple - NOT. Last weekend, ribs, hickory wood. Found conflicting info on adding chips so I added wet chips about every 30 minutes for roughy 5 hours. Very bitter, funny tasting, TOUGH ribs.

So I would appreciate guidance and advice from you experts please...don't want to ruin more meat.

Thanks for having me - I need help!! :)

There are some serious smokers here who are likely to have better advice than me, but since I also smoke with an electric smoker, I'll add my $0.02.

The bitter taste is most likely because using that method with an electric smoker you most likely over-smoked the meat. When I use my electric smoker, I normally add an ounce or two of dry wood at the beginning of the smoke and that's it. The electric keeps the smoke in much better than a charcoal smoker and so you use less wood to get the smoke flavor.

Also, I would not pre-heat the smoker because then you'll lose out of a lot of that smoke when you open the door to put the meat in. If you're doing ribs, just put in the wood and the rubbed ribs and start her up (I use the 3-2-1 method at 225, but others here are likely to have better advice than me for great ribs).

Good luck!

Comment

from Florida

I don't use an elec smoker, there are several here that will be along with some good info.

What type of ribs were you smoking ? and what temp were you running your smoker ?

One thing I can say is you used way too many chips and they were wet. That is part of the problem. You should see very light blue smoke to no smoke. White smoke is a NO-NO

Sounds like your ribs were not fully cooked(tough) and the smoke caused the bitterness.
      Last edited by BYBBQ; 07-17-2017, 05:16 PM. Reason: fat fingers and small keys
      Jim

Comment

Welcome from Florida!
        Bearcarver will be along, he knows more bout them MESs than most.
        1st thing is wet chips, that prolly the culprit mostly! Gonna give ya steam and hold nasty stuff in the smoke.

What temp ya smokin at?
        Mark
        sigpic

"Likes smokey old pool rooms, clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?
        Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head!

Comment

Temp was 225 and they were spareribs - good to know to add chips only once and not wet. Also no pre-heating. Too late to "not use electric" - have to make this a success :)

Comment

At that temp spares would take more like 6+hours using 3-2-1 method.
            I would be cooking at a higher temp, I prefer 275°
            JMHO-YMMV
            Jim

Comment

Thank you - will do 6 next time. What is 3-2-1?

Comment

3 hours in the smoke-2 hours in foil-1 hour unfoiled. these are estimates. No foil spares at that temp may take longer.
                You don't cook by time, you cook til meat is done( bend test ) or to temp for some types of meat.
                Jim

Comment

From PA Do what the folks say to do and you will not be disappointed. Ask away, everyone is her to help and to learn.
                  Ed

Smoke Vault 24
                  Vermont Castings Gas Grill
                  Thermoworks Smoke
                  The "Fastest" Orange Thermapen around!
                  The Neighbor's 36" Blackstone

Comment

Originally posted by BYBBQ View Post
                    from Florida

Don't use an elec smoker, there are several here that will be along with some good info.

What type of ribs were you smoking ? and what temp were you running your smoker ?

One thing I can say is you used way too many chips and they were wet. That is part of the problem. You should see very light blue smoke to no smoke. White smoke is a NO-NO

Sounds like your ribs were not fully cooked(tough) and the smoke caused the bitterness.
                    I'm pretty sure he meant that he doesn't use an electric smoker...Neither do I but lots of folks do and have great barbecue to show for it...I'll let them coach you instead of me
                    Craig
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by SMOKE FREAK View Post
                      I'm pretty sure he meant that he doesn't use an electric smoker...Neither do I but lots of folks do and have great barbecue to show for it...I'll let them coach you instead of me
                      Yep that was suppose to say "I don't use an electric smoker"

Sorry bout that. Damn hands just won't do what I tell them to do anymore. I'll fix it.
                      Jim

Comment

Bear’s the guy to talk to. I don’t burn watts, other than for fish and sausage. But..Welcome to Smoked-Meat!

On edit: Never soak wood. And..Bear’s going thru some hard times at home so be patient. There are others who use the MES here as well tho too.
                        In God I trust- All others pay cash...
                        Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
                        Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Second what the others said regarding chips and smoke. Maybe try a milder chip next thyme also

Did you remove the membrane from the ribs? Foiling them with liquid will also help tenderize them. Just not too long or they will fall nearly completely apart.

And from WA
                          sigpic

Comment

Not sure if it is still available but this link is to Bears "Book" on cookin with a MES. Should get ya movin in the right direction.
                            https://www.mediafire.com/?8j4pw2s5o219b81

Hope it still works.
                            Looks like it still does.
                            Mark
                            sigpic

"Likes smokey old pool rooms, clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?
                            Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head!

Comment

Bearcarver. Find him on the forum. He needs a distraction after worrying about his wife this week. Send him a private message and he will almost certainly respond. Resident expert in my opinion when it comes to the MES. And like others have mentioned, search his threads about technique and tips. As in all methods of smoking, a little bit goes a long way and patience is a virtue. It will be better next time. But go with the advice from the folks that use the same tools as you.

I would say sell it, buy a heavy gauge offset stickburner and a rick of pecan wood but doesn't help. Start with Bear. He knows his stuff.
                              sigpic

Some days I think Bravo Zulu, other days it's more like Whiskey Tango Foxtrot...

Comment

Working...
                              X