Anaszi Beans and Jalapeno Bacon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anaszi Beans and Jalapeno Bacon

Anasazi beans are one of my favorites...they are similar to pintos but take less time to cook

I soaked the beans overnight....

Fried some of my homemade jalapeno bacon...any bacon would do....

Sauteed onions and garlic in the bacon drippings...
    The jalapeno bacon was spicy enough, so I didn't add any additional peppers...

Combined the veggies into the bean pot...

Covered the beans with chicken stock...added a couple pinches of thyme, basil, and oregano...also some red pepper flakes..
    Simmered til tender then checked for salt and pepper....

I crumbled the jalapeno bacon on top.
    They were tasty with a hot buttered tortilla....

Thanks for checking out my bean view.
    jeanie

http://cowgirlscountry.blogspot.com/

Jeanie,
    That looks so wonderful! thanks for the recipe, I had initially thought that the Anaszi bean was the cranberry bean, but I have now learned they are not...I also stumbled across a great site with a ton of different beans!
    So thanks a ton!
    K

The only one on the block with the super fastest turbo charged

Comment

Thanks Kelly, hope you give them a try sometime. They are pretty tasty beans. :)
      jeanie

Comment

Looks great !!!! I think this Jeanie girl might end up learnin how to cook:p
        Mike
        Smokin' in Fla
        Go Gators
        My toys
        sigpic

Comment

One of my favorite foods are beans. In fact just had ham today and the bone is simmering as we speak and all I had was great northern and there soaking right now. I don't believe I have seen them anaszi beans around here but they do look good, and that was a nice post. Thanks. I guess I'll have to get out the one and only cast Iron pan I have when it come time to cook em.
          Last edited by SmokinLee; 02-02-2009, 06:29 PM.

Comment

Cowgirl, I love the stuff youve been doing lately, infact one of the things that seems to be shaping up as a big plus around this forum is some of the out of the box recipes and foods ive been seeing especially your stuff, well actually your stuff looks good no matter where its posted but especially here;).

Comment

Originally posted by Jaxgatorz View Post
              Looks great !!!! I think this Jeanie girl might end up learnin how to cook:p
              lol Mike! I'm sure tryin. :D
              jeanie

Comment

Originally posted by SmokinLee View Post
                One of my favorite foods are beans. In fact just had ham today and the bone is simmering as we speak and all I had was great northern and there soaking right now. I don't believe I have seen them anaszi beans around here but they do look good, and that was a nice post. Thanks. I guess I'll have to get out the one and only cast Iron pan I have when it come time to cook em.
                Lee, your northern beans and ham sound really good. Hope ya take some pictures for us. Thanks! :)

Originally posted by williamzanTzinger View Post
                Cowgirl, I love the stuff youve been doing lately, infact one of the things that seems to be shaping up as a big plus around this forum is some of the out of the box recipes and foods ive been seeing especially your stuff, well actually your stuff looks good no matter where its posted but especially here;).
                William...thank you so much! You are too kind.
                jeanie

Comment

An Oakie Dish.

I have a feeling this is going to be a long story for a short simple question. I had a real simple and real good dish made by a friend from Oklahoma over 30 years ago called "Beans and Taters".

It all started back when I was 19 or 20 years old and in the US Navy, I just left Tennessee from school and arrived in Florida for a three year visit. Now I was born and raised in Michigan and never left this state until joining the service, and it was fun seeing different parts of the country. I found and rented an apartment because of being married and having a one year old son at the time. So when payday's would come every couple of weeks we would check out some of the local eatery's, and thats when I first tried grits, hushpuppys and real cornbread and real bicuits although I did already have cornbread and biscuits, these were just alot better. Then although sceptical tried the fried catfish and I had tried catfish from up north but it always tasted skunky to me, this was white, sweet and flakey with a nice cornmeal crust with the head still attached. Everything I tried down there was terrific and suppose thats when I got interested in cooking. I met a couple at the apartments, his name was John Woodruff and I dont' recall his wife's name, but they were from Oklahoma, and we became friends. I never gave Oklahoma much thought back then except from history class talkin about a treaty and that musical my mom made me watch, then came the Merle Haggard song LOL. But he always talked about his favorite dish "Beans and Taters" and I said; that sounds good, he said he would have me over when he makes it. Heck I was all exited about trying this dish from far away lands, and although we never said 'taters' in Michigan, I knew what he was referring to, Thanks to festus from Gun Smoke LOL. Well he made it and I loved the simple dish which was just Beans, Taters, Onion and a Ham Bone with meat.

The one thing I dont know is, how the potatos were cooked. They could of been just simmered in some stock with the rest of the stuff, but it seemed more stew like, and I don't believe the taters were fried, they were creamy. I would like to make this and thought to just keep minimal stock in the pot and add as needed like a bean and tater rissoto.LOL

So Jeanie, if you have a recipe with amounts and tricks I would appreciate it.

Thanks Lee
                  Last edited by SmokinLee; 02-03-2009, 09:38 PM.

Comment

Lee, that's a great story. :)
                    I've had tatoes mixed in with a pot of pinto beans and ham hock....and I've had pintos with smoked ham hock and fried tatoes on the side.

Also green beans, ham hock and tatoes.

I just add the cubed tatoes to the pot of simmering beans. I let the beans get a good start...the tatoes do not take long.
                    I'm not sure if this is what you are looking for, but your story sure did make me hungry. lol :D
                    jeanie

Comment

LOL Like I said it was almost a stew. Reminds me of makeing a gumbo one time, and the recipe called for both rice and potato, I thought it sounded weired but man was it good. Thanks

Comment

Lee, If you ever find the recipe..please let me know. It sounds wonderful! :)
                        jeanie

Comment

Working...
                        X