Heat shield

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Heat shield

I had filled my water pan in my Masterbuilt with sand and it seemed to work ok but when I do something large like ribs or a pork butt that overhangs that pan the overhanging meat gets cooked way faster because of the heat coming around the pan. I was going to try putting a piece of steel in there as a heat shield.

Few questions:
    - Should I add the heat shield and keep the pan of sand? I was going to NOT use the pan. Just the heat shield.

- What thickness steel? Do I need something like 1/8" or is something thinner like 22 ga OK just knowing it will warp?

- Cut/drill holes in the shield or leave solid? Wood chunk pan sits on the burner but I dont plan on smoking in this unless it is cold smoking with an Amaz'n product which I figured I can just sit in there. I'm thinking the main use will be to finish pork butts and other large cuts in after the 26'r depletes its snake.

Thanks!

Originally posted by a207769s View Post
    I had filled my water pan in my Masterbuilt with sand and it seemed to work ok but when I do something large like ribs or a pork butt that overhangs that pan the overhanging meat gets cooked way faster because of the heat coming around the pan. I was going to try putting a piece of steel in there as a heat shield.

Few questions:
    - Should I add the heat shield and keep the pan of sand? I was going to NOT use the pan. Just the heat shield.

- What thickness steel? Do I need something like 1/8" or is something thinner like 22 ga OK just knowing it will warp?

- Cut/drill holes in the shield or leave solid? Wood chunk pan sits on the burner but I dont plan on smoking in this unless it is cold smoking with an Amaz'n product which I figured I can just sit in there. I'm thinking the main use will be to finish pork butts and other large cuts in after the 26'r depletes its snake.

Thanks!
    No Heat Shield expert by any means here, butt I have seen some builds or mods that did have holes drilled in them. Makes sense to drill the holes in it to me
    sigpic

Comment

Working...
    X