Anyone have any pointers on an mes 40?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by L20A View Post
    I had a MES 30" unit until last year when after 10 years it died. Now I have a 40" that I love. I try to place the unit so the chip tube opening faces into whatever breeze is present and I leave the chip tube out. Also, I mix in some charcoal pellets with the wood pellets as this seems to help keep the pellets burning better than without them; about 1 to 3 charcoal to wood mix. The charcoal pellets are cheap and easy to find. Hope this helps. One other thing that I have found to effect the air flow is big alum pans & trays. I used to put drip trays under the butts & abt's to keep the grease under control. I found that the smaller trays work best and the bigger ones impede the air flow.

Yup---I like no bigger than a 9 X 11 pan in my MES 40.
    Years ago I crowded 2 of them on the same rack, and it screwed up the whole deal---Hot below that rack & cooler above, until I switched things.

Another thing ALL MES users should know about positioning the smoker.
    I think I have a Thread about this somewhere:
    If you have a window in your door, and have the front facing South, or nearly South, you have to cover the window if it's Sunny, in the Winter, Fall, or Spring.
    When the Sun is low in the sky, it can shine through the door glass & heat up the Heat Sensor on the back wall of the smoker. That can make the Heating Element shut off, because it will think the Smoker is hotter than it really is.
    I keep a piece of 1/2" plywood handy for those days---I had to lean it on to cover the glass about 6 or 7 times now.

Bear
    Vietnam Vet---9th Inf. Div. Mekong Delta (1969)
    Easy to follow Step By Steps: Pulled Cured Boston Butt Ham and Buckboard Bacon--Smoked Salmon-- Bacon-On-A-Stick--Bacon (Extra Smokey)--Boneless Cured & Smoked Pork Chops & CB--Canadian Bacon & Dried Beef--Ham Twins (Double Smoked)--Double Smoked Hams X 4--Bear Logs (All Beef--Unstuffed)--Smoked Bear Loaf (All Beef-Mild Hot)--Prime Rib (My Best ever)--Another Prime Rib--Chucky (Pulled Beef)--Twin Chuckies--Pork and Beef Spares--Rare Beef (for Sammies)--Raspberry Chiffon Pie---

Mom & 4 Cub litter---Potter County, PA:

Comment

Originally posted by Bearcarver View Post
      Yup---I like no bigger than a 9 X 11 pan in my MES 40.
      Years ago I crowded 2 of them on the same rack, and it screwed up the whole deal---Hot below that rack & cooler above, until I switched things.

Another thing ALL MES users should know about positioning the smoker.
      I think I have a Thread about this somewhere:
      If you have a window in your door, and have the front facing South, or nearly South, you have to cover the window if it's Sunny, in the Winter, Fall, or Spring.
      When the Sun is low in the sky, it can shine through the door glass & heat up the Heat Sensor on the back wall of the smoker. That can make the Heating Element shut off, because it will think the Smoker is hotter than it really is.
      I keep a piece of 1/2" plywood handy for those days---I had to lean it on to cover the glass about 6 or 7 times now.

Bear
      Good to know!!! No tips from me I'm trying to learn how to use an MPS myself.

Tailgating this Thanksgiving and cooking the entire feast on my new MPS & grill in the parking lot. I have a stack of both the full and 1/2 size aluminum trays from SAM's... so I guess I should go with the 1/2 size and set the MPS up under the awning in the shade.

I am going to cheat a lot... I bought 2 honey glazed hams and 3 smoked turkey breast that I'll just have to heat up.

One last confession... I've had my MPS for three months now and cooked with it several times but I have yet to put a wood chip or pellet into it, I've just been using it like an oven for my outdoor kitchen.

Comment

Working...
      X