Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Redneck Bar Fire Crackers - another use for Smitty's Spice.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Now that's usin' the ole noggin! Nice tip Dana!
    In God I trust- All others pay cash...
    Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
    Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Hey Dana, would ground red pepper not be the same?
      Mark
      sigpic

"Likes smokey old pool rooms, clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?
      Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head!

Comment

Originally posted by Mark R View Post
        Hey Dana, would ground red pepper not be the same?
        Mark, Good question.

I guess I had never thought of what type of peppers are used to make red pepper flakes. I know I like the smooth heat and taste, and I have a giant jug of them as I use them frequently in cooking and sausage. My thought was to just grind up what I had on hand. I have since looked up what they actually are, and here is what I found on a quick google search...

Crushed red pepper is made from hot dried red peppers and is not made of one type of chili, but from various combinations of ancho, bell, cayenne and other dried red peppers.

No wonder I like them so much...they are a mix of a bunch of various types.

I guess if you could find them in a powdered form, by all means that would be a great substitute for my "chuck them in a grinder and whir the crap outta them" technique!
        BBQ Eng.

The "Cow Girls" were adopted from the shelter, and found on petfinder.com.
        Adopt a homeless pet - http://www.petfinder.com
        I built the Iron Maiden - Iron Maiden Smoker Build

Over 5000 unreadable posts...Photobucket can kiss my ass...they will never get a dime. I will not pay a ransom.

Comment

that is some good info.. I would think if you have "ground" you would decrease the volume though as a TBS of the Crushed ground up I would think would be less than a TBS of the ground.... just guessing though... or use the WHOLE TBS and enjoy the heat!!
          Brian

Certified Sausage & Pepper Head
          Yoder YS640
          Weber Genesis
          Weber 18.5" Kettle
          Weber Performer
          Misfit # 1899

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by BBQ Engineer View Post
            Mark, Good question.

I guess I had never thought of what type of peppers are used to make red pepper flakes. I know I like the smooth heat and taste, and I have a giant jug of them as I use them frequently in cooking and sausage. My thought was to just grind up what I had on hand. I have since looked up what they actually are, and here is what I found on a quick google search...

Crushed red pepper is made from hot dried red peppers and is not made of one type of chili, but from various combinations of ancho, bell, cayenne and other dried red peppers.

No wonder I like them so much...they are a mix of a bunch of various types.

I guess if you could find them in a powdered form, by all means that would be a great substitute for my "chuck them in a grinder and whir the crap outta them" technique!
            Cool Dana, That's good to know. I didn't. I knew I liked them, I can use that!
            Mark
            sigpic

"Likes smokey old pool rooms, clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?
            Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head!

Comment

Was finally able to try these. I used the 2T of crushed red pepper flakes and 1T of MH HAW account I don't have but am really hoping for some Smitty's. They sure were tasty but in my opinion very very mild as far as spice. Good idea for a simple and tasty treat. Thanks to all for the ideas.
              Yoder YS640 Finally here!
              Bradley digital electric
              Weber Silver series kettle
              Charmglow gas grill
              Always the good ol' camp fire

Comment

Originally posted by yuioutta View Post
                Was finally able to try these. I used the 2T of crushed red pepper flakes and 1T of MH HAW account I don't have but am really hoping for some Smitty's. They sure were tasty but in my opinion very very mild as far as spice. Good idea for a simple and tasty treat. Thanks to all for the ideas.
                Wait till you put the Smitty's in.... not so mild anymore!!
                Brian

Yoder YS640
                Weber Genesis
                Weber 18.5" Kettle
                Weber Performer
                Misfit # 1899

sigpic

Comment

Sorry to bump again, butt I am guessing a few folks may end up looking for options on what to do during the Holidays.... These just plain Rock
                  sigpic

Comment

Yes I will be doing these as well for lunch time snacks.. if they last that long... served with pepperoni and cheese...mmmmmmm.....
                    Brian

Yoder YS640
                    Weber Genesis
                    Weber 18.5" Kettle
                    Weber Performer
                    Misfit # 1899

sigpic

Comment

Suminabitch... somehow I missed this thread a year ago!

Gonna put these on me to do list!

Drinks well with others

~ P4 ~

Comment

I've been doing something very similar and really love the taste.
                        I start with a bag of oyster crackers and 1/2 cup of EVOO, then add 1/2 package ranch, 2 TBS Habanero Death Dust, and 1 TSP Mad Hunky Hot Ass Whang. I tumble it in a medium sized lidded plastic bowl adding a few generous shakes of Big Pappa's Jalapeno Bacon Rub and several shakes of Volcano Dust (ghost pepper powder). They are best if left to age for a couple of days.

Comment

shameless bump so I dont have to search in 5 minutes...sorry...
                          Brian

Yoder YS640
                          Weber Genesis
                          Weber 18.5" Kettle
                          Weber Performer
                          Misfit # 1899

sigpic

Comment

Just showed me titty baby son! We going to the store, mount up!
                            Sunset Eagle Aviation
                            https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sunse...888015?fref=ts <... We sure could use some likes!

Comment

I've been making them for quite awhile. I use Premium saltines for what it's worth just cause that's what we always have.

Anyways, they are great and the thing that will surprise you is that they will keep for quite awhile, think days. They don't get soggy and hold the crisp.

Caution, they are addicting .

P.S. using oyster crackers are great. They are easy to scoop up and put in a bowl, etc.
                              Pete
                              Large BGE
                              Char Broil Tru-Infrared Commercial series

Comment

Just gotta make these again

If you have yet to try em...... They are worth a lil thyme
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X