No announcement yet.

Calling all Philly natives

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The last time I was in King of Prussia I ate at Tony Luke's at the mall. It was outstanding. Far better than any thing I have gotten here in New Mexico (imagine that?).

I ordered a steak sandwich once in Sunnyvale, CA in a restaurant and they gave me a whole ribeye steak on Texas toast. I was like WTF is this?

Comment

Originally posted by SQWIB View Post
      I ordered a cheese steak at a county Fair in Delaware many moons ago, it was a steak on a roll with cheese.
      The wife will not let me order a Philly cheese steak if a place has one on the menu. She flat out threatens me that she will get up and leave if I do.

She has a point as I have been had more than one unpleasant confrontation with management because of "mis-lableing " a Philly cheese steak.

The worst part is when the description in the menu matches exactly what you have in mind, the memories start like you can almost smell the aroma of that little sandwich shop.

Then they bring out a pounded flat piece of meat that they ran through a tenderizer 10 times to make it tender enough to rip through on a toasted french bread roll with shredded mozzarella cheese....

I may have to try that bread because that is a big part of it.

Comment

Originally posted by SQWIB View Post
        I ordered a cheesesteak at a county Fair in Delaware many moons ago, it was a steak on a roll with cheese.
        Originally posted by AJ View Post
        The last time I was in King of Prussia I ate at Tony Luke's at the mall. It was outstanding. Far better than any thing I have gotten here in New Mexico (imagine that?).

I ordered a steak sandwich once in Sunnyvale, CA in a restaurant and they gave me a whole ribeye steak on Texas toast. I was like WTF is this?

There used to be a place in my Home Town (Quakertown), called "The Fireside".
        They had a 12' wide Charcoal Pit about 10' from the Stools & counter.
        They made Ribeyes about 1/2" Thick, and put them in a Roll.
        They were Tasty, but when I'm craving a Cheesesteak, I'd rather have a Cheesesteak.
        They also made what they called a "Mouseburger" (Two Burgers stuffed with cheese).
        That place was one of my Hang-outs before I was of Drinking Age, because of the Great Charcoal grilled food. (LOL--I was taking two of their waitresses out too)

Bear
        Vietnam Vet---9th Inf. Div. Mekong Delta (1969)
        Easy to follow Step By Steps: Pulled Cured Boston Butt Ham and Buckboard Bacon--Smoked Salmon-- Bacon-On-A-Stick--Bacon (Extra Smokey)--Boneless Cured & Smoked Pork Chops & CB--Canadian Bacon & Dried Beef--Ham Twins (Double Smoked)--Double Smoked Hams X 4--Bear Logs (All Beef--Unstuffed)--Smoked Bear Loaf (All Beef-Mild Hot)--Prime Rib (My Best ever)--Another Prime Rib--Chucky (Pulled Beef)--Twin Chuckies--Pork and Beef Spares--Rare Beef (for Sammies)--Raspberry Chiffon Pie---

Mom & 4 Cub litter---Potter County, PA:

Comment

Originally posted by barkonbutts View Post
          Now for the roll... good luck... Yet to find a recipe for this one.. rolls in philly are dense yet light, firm crust but not crunchy.... I can not find them in Dayton, so when I go east I get a dozen and bring home...The roll is just not copied outside of philly.. not sure what it is but they are good!! We just had a philly pretzel factor open up in town and those rock too!!! But that is a whole different story!!
          Sounds a lot like bolillo rolls that are pretty common around here. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bolillo

Firm, slightly chewy crust with a light inside, but not airy. I wonder if you could find a recipe for bolillo that would be close to the philly rolls.
          Mike
          Life In Pit Row

Comment

Recipe courtesy Conshohocken Italian Bakery. It don't git no better than that.
            sigpic
            Fully Accessorized Primo XL Oval,
            -BBQ GURU DigiQ DX2,
            -AMNPS
            -And various other do-dads, gimmicks,
            gizmos and hornswaggles

Comment

Originally posted by gracoman View Post

I'm no Baker, but knowing Conshy, I'd bet those rolls are Great !!!

Bear
              Vietnam Vet---9th Inf. Div. Mekong Delta (1969)
              Easy to follow Step By Steps: Pulled Cured Boston Butt Ham and Buckboard Bacon--Smoked Salmon-- Bacon-On-A-Stick--Bacon (Extra Smokey)--Boneless Cured & Smoked Pork Chops & CB--Canadian Bacon & Dried Beef--Ham Twins (Double Smoked)--Double Smoked Hams X 4--Bear Logs (All Beef--Unstuffed)--Smoked Bear Loaf (All Beef-Mild Hot)--Prime Rib (My Best ever)--Another Prime Rib--Chucky (Pulled Beef)--Twin Chuckies--Pork and Beef Spares--Rare Beef (for Sammies)--Raspberry Chiffon Pie---

Mom & 4 Cub litter---Potter County, PA:

Comment

Great post.
                Lang 36 Patio, a few Webers, 2 Eggs, plenty of gadgets and a MES 40 Gen 2.5 electric for bacon and sausage.
                My best asset however is the inspiration from the members on this forum.

sigpic
                @SmokinJim52 on Twitter

Comment

I figure it would be my friends from a far to get me interested in something that has yogurt in it......

Can't wait to see what influence you will have on me in 2017...

I am going to try these.

Comment

Originally posted by Ronan View Post
                    Just to play devils advocate now, who does Phillys best cheesesteak???
                    I do

sigpic
                    Fully Accessorized Primo XL Oval,
                    -BBQ GURU DigiQ DX2,
                    -AMNPS
                    -And various other do-dads, gimmicks,
                    gizmos and hornswaggles

Comment

Originally posted by SmokinOutBack View Post
                      You could ask 20 people and get 20 different answers.

http://www.seriouseats.com/2011/09/b...ia-philly.html
                      So true. Personally, the "Philly" cheese steak never appealed to me, especially Pat's and VaGino's offering. Personally, I prefer the "PhilLee" cheese steak...
                      Last edited by HawgHeaven; 12-31-2016, 07:55 AM.

Drinks well with others

~ P4 ~

Comment

I do

That does look pretty good, I bet it delicious [emoji39].
                        I used to have a local pizza joint that made my favorite,, cheese steak supreme. Steak, provolone, sweet peppers, mushrooms and sauce on their homemade rolls. They made the best I ever ate.
                        The owner retired about a year ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

To be honest, I would spend more effort on a Roast pork Sandwich with broccoli rabe on a Sarcone!

or a, Roasted peppers with goat cheese.

Comment

My little project has been put back a bit as have been sick as a dog and surviving on tinned chicken soup.Heard about the roast pork sandwich with broccoli rabe but some people seem to think the rabe is very bitter.Maybe when im back on my feet and have the bread roll recipe down i will give it a try.Think i may have a partial shoulder in the freezer :)

Comment

I do

Years ago John Pizza in Malvern Pa was my go to place.

Comment

Hope ya feel better real soon!! Then get after that steak sandwich!!
                                Brian

Certified Sausage & Pepper Head
                                Yoder YS640
                                Weber Genesis
                                Weber 18.5" Kettle
                                Weber Performer
                                Misfit # 1899

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X