Woods for spices

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Woods for spices

Anyone know if there is a list/chart for what woods to use for smoking spices. I've done some searching and can't really find anything worth anything. Maybe I'm not looking in the right places, but I am stumped.

Thanks in advance

This might help...

http://www.smoked-meat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1

Not sure I agree with it all but
    Craig
    sigpic

Comment

thats a nice list, thanks man

Comment

Maybe the reason I don't agree with it all is this...

Huge difference in flavors that wood put off depending on if the wood is burning or smoldering...

Burning is better...
        Anyone who says Hickory is too strong is probably not burning a live fire...
        Those that love apple wood are probably not burning a live fire...
        Even mesquite wont taste as bad as most folks think when it is burning instead of smoldering...
        Burning is better...
        Craig
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by SMOKE FREAK View Post

Huge difference in flavors that wood put off depending on if the wood is burning or smoldering...

Burning is better...
          Even mesquite wont taste as bad as most folks think when it is burning instead of smoldering...
          Burning is better...
          /\ I dont "burn wood" as a heat source, but as Craiger said, they react differently as either a "flavor" or "your heat/cooking source"
          I wood start with Apple personally and see what you like from that point.
          sigpic

Comment

FWIW, all I use are apple, cherry and pecan wood chunks on all my charcoal cookers. That's been working for me for years.
            Lang 36 Patio, a few Webers, 2 Eggs, plenty of gadgets and a MES 40 Gen 2.5 electric for bacon and sausage.
            My best asset however is the inspiration from the members on this forum.

sigpic
            @SmokinJim52 on Twitter

Comment

Pecan, sugar maple, and any fruit wood here...

Drinks well with others

~ P4 ~

Comment

Originally posted by SmokinOutBack View Post
                FWIW, all I use are apple, cherry and pecan wood chunks on all my charcoal cookers. That's been working for me for years.
                Ditto. This mix will take you a long long way.
                BBQ Eng.

The "Cow Girls" were adopted from the shelter, and found on petfinder.com.
                Adopt a homeless pet - http://www.petfinder.com
                I built the Iron Maiden - Iron Maiden Smoker Build

Over 5000 unreadable posts...Photobucket can kiss my ass...they will never get a dime. I will not pay a ransom.

Comment

Originally posted by SMOKE FREAK View Post

Burning is better...
                  Burning is better...
                  Depends on where you are too. The hickory down here (Florida) is nothing like the hickory in Virginia! Florida hickory is way strong, but the stuff I get from me brother in Va is mild like oak.
                  Don't use Fl hickory at all! Oak, citrus and buttonwood what I use. And just started using buttonwood, didn't know it was legal. But you not gonna find it North of Gainsville.
                  Mark
                  sigpic

"Likes smokey old pool rooms, clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?
                  Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head!

Comment

Originally posted by Mark R View Post
                    Depends on where you are too. The hickory down here (Florida) is nothing like the hickory in Virginia! Florida hickory is way strong, but the stuff I get from me brother in Va is mild like oak.
                    Don't use Fl hickory at all! Oak, citrus and buttonwood what I use. And just started using buttonwood, didn't know it was legal. But you not gonna find it North of Gainsville.
                    Thats interesting..didnt know that
                    sigpic
                    GMG Daniel Boone
                    UDS
                    Weber 22.5" Kettle (blk)
                    Vision Kamado grill
                    Weber Genesis Silver
                    Smokin Tex
                    MES 40 with legs Gen 2.5
                    Maverick ET 732
                    Brown and lime green ThermaPens
                    2 orange ThermoPops
                    A-Maze-N Tube 18"
                    A-Maze-N Smoker 5"x8"
                    Vortex

Comment

Yeah I have heard that the Pecan that comes from La. is junk...
                      Craig
                      sigpic

Comment

Working...
                      X