Brisket? HOLY Batman

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brisket? HOLY Batman

Went to buy what I thought would be a cheap cut of meat.

Briskets are about 20 pounds - $62.00. WOW.

Fatter end, and pointed end. Do I cut this in thirds? Quarters?

What is your best advice for not messing up this much money/meat?

30" MES
    Pellets

Temp?
    Time - approx?
    Prep for meat?

Thanks everyone!!

Go to the beef topic area, and look at the brisket sticky. You will have all you questions answered there... for the most part. Let us know what else you need.

The pictures are gone but I think you will be able to follow.

http://www.smoked-meat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6210
    Last edited by barkonbutts; 07-26-2017, 07:43 AM.
    Brian

Certified Sausage & Pepper Head
    Yoder YS640
    Weber Genesis
    Weber 18.5" Kettle
    Weber Performer
    Misfit # 1899

sigpic

Comment

I would start off a little slower than a brisket, maybe a couple of pork butts to make pulled pork, it's pretty forgiving meat and you need to figure that cooker of yours out first, just till you get your sea legs. Briskets can be a tall order sometimes, depending on the kind. But if you want a brisket Brian sent you in the right direction.

All the best to you.
      ---------------------------------------------------
      I plan ahead, that way I don't do anything right now.
      ---------------------------------------------------
      KCBS CBJ

Comment

Since your smoking in a MES, your probably going to have to cut it into 2 or 3 Pieces.
        The link above should be helpful. Also Bearcarver has a step by step for MES brisket in his Book, page 162 I think. He is smoking a flat of 3.75lb, prolly 1/4 of a full packer (after trimming). Or You can download it here

https://www.mediafire.com/?8j4pw2s5o219b81

Quoted from Bears book since he's occupied with Mrs Bear
        Brisket Flat (step by step with Qview)
        This was a 3.75 LB Brisket Flat. Rinse Brisket flat & pat dry with paper towels. After trimming, score through 1/8" to 1/4" fat cap (into meat) in diamond pattern. Coat with A1 Original & a rub. I got this rub from Paul (BEER-B-Q). Excellent rub! Wrap in saran wrap, set in foil, and put in fridge over night. Next Day: 6:45----------Pre-heat smoker to 220˚.
        7:00----------Put Brisket on second shelf of MES 40.
        7:15----------Bump heat up to 230˚.
        7:30----------Fill AMNS with Hickory Dust, light one end, and place it on the bars to the left of the chip drawer assembly.
        1:30----------Brisket hits 160˚ internal temp----Foil and add very simple mixture (below) to foil, and put back in smoker.
        Foil mixture:
        Apple juice----------------------------6 ounces
        Kens Teriyaki Marinade------------1 ounce
        BBQ Sauce (your favorite)---------2 ounces
        4:45----------Brisket hits 200˚ internal temp----Shut off heat in smoker, but leave Brisket in foil in smoker.
        5:00----------Open smoker door to allow heat to get down to 190˚ in smoker.
        5:45----------Remove Brisket at 202˚ internal temp, take pictures, slice, eat. Allow juice saved from foiled Brisket to cool in fridge over night. Remove fat from top, and use for Au Jus (Best I ever had--Much better than store bought Johnny's). Enjoy & Thanks for looking,
        You can prolly smoke 2 pieces on 2 shelves at one time?
        Hopefully the Bear can pop back in and clarify.
        Mark
        sigpic

"Likes smokey old pool rooms, clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?
        Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head!

Comment

When I got my first smoker I couldn't wait to try brisket...Turned out to be more of a challenge than I was up to

I would suggest a chuck roast or two to get the hang of what's going on with your cooker on long smokes...Chuck is a very forgiving piece of beef to learn with...

And yes...Brisket prices are through the roof right now...And a 20 pound packer will not fit so well in your smoker...
          Craig
          sigpic

Comment

Yes, beef chucks and pork butts are the best to start out with. Put the brisket in the freezer and get your skills with the smoker together first.

Drinks well with others

~ P4 ~

Comment

Originally posted by HawgHeaven View Post
              Yes, beef chucks and pork butts are the best to start out with. Put the brisket in the freezer and get your skills with the smoker together first.
              /\/\/\/\ Good idear!
              Mark
              sigpic

"Likes smokey old pool rooms, clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?
              Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head!

Comment

Originally posted by DeniseL View Post

Fatter end, and pointed end.
                A packer brisket will have two distinct parts...
                The "flat" is the leaner part and runs almost from one end to the other with the fattier "point" laying on top of the flat on the thicker end...
                Craig
                sigpic

Comment

Brisket got too expensive for me over the years.

I do prefer a flat over PP. I've never really been a fan of the point for some reason. However, I'll buy that stuff up after St. Pactricks Day, soak, rub and make some pastrami on the cheap

A great compromise in many respects is a chuckie. Takes longer than PP, have to pay attention but more forgiving than brisket.

I actually did a thread about these two guys head to head in the way back machine. All the pics are gone but that's a PB issue. Not much information here but perhaps the responses are of help:

http://www.smoked-meat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2252
                  Pete
                  Large BGE
                  Char Broil Tru-Infrared Commercial series

Comment

Listen to me. I recommend listening to the fine gentlefolk who have posted before me. Chuck Roast is the way to go. Once you have perfected, then move onto a more expensive but small brisket flat. When you have got those down, then you can take on a challenge of a full packer brisket. Don't burn $62 until you feel comfortable with your preferred system.
                    sigpic

Some days I think Bravo Zulu, other days it's more like Whiskey Tango Foxtrot...

Comment

You could always get the full packer, cut it into thirds and get three cooks from it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I smoke more chucks than briskets these days. I like the shredded beef to make sandwich's.

But everyone should do a brisket, It is a challenge that is worth doing.

Capt Dan was the man when it came to beef. You cant go wrong if you follow his lead.

Good Luck
                        Island of Misfit Smokers Member #92

How to heal the world. Love people and feed them tasty food.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by SMOKE FREAK View Post
                          When I got my first smoker I couldn't wait to try brisket...Turned out to be more of a challenge than I was up to

I would suggest a chuck roast or two to get the hang of what's going on with your cooker on long smokes...Chuck is a very forgiving piece of beef to learn with...

And yes...Brisket prices are through the roof right now...And a 20 pound packer will not fit so well in your smoker...
                          I am beyond cheap. I will ask the meat department if they have meat that they can no longer sell after today and buy it if the price is right. Just ended up with a bunch of choice and prime steaks for under $4 a pound and a few prime briskets for under $2 a pound. When I am buying meat I will go to multiple stores. Sometimes I will even tell the meat dept it expires today, want to sell it for a greatly reduced cost or throw it away, most sell cheaper. Then I get a freezer full of meat and pull them out as I need them.

Comment

I normally buy the $1.99 a pound packer briskets at Walmart and I've tried the Prime briskets from the meat market. I have never been able to tell that one tasted twice as good as the other. So why pay twice as much???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I'm with the try something smaller crowd first.My first smoker was a charbroil offset and I listened to my wife and brought a small brisket not knowing what I was doing.I think it was only 5 or 6 pounds.It almost seemed like it took forever to smoke and drove me up a wall.I decided after that to try a boston butt when she went on a gambling trip and was gone for a weekend.No interference and I was able to figure things out.That brisket she was in my ear the whole cook with reading about how it should come out when it hits 190.She drilled it into my head that when the smoker hit 190 degrees to pull it off.Once I figured it out with the butt,It was all uphill after that.

Comment

Working...
                              X