Soaking wood chips

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Soaking wood chips

OK I see the cooking shows and they all soak their wood chips. How many of you smokers soak your chips? I never have. Should I be soaking? If so can I use wine to soak or is that a waste of wine. Thanks for the help.
    sigpic
    Weber 22.5 kettle
    Smokin in the Smokies
    Here's to swimmin with bowlegged women.
    Jerry

I used to soak mine for the vault but all they really did was produce some steam before they start to smolder. I have since stopped that. If the chips are burning up too fast I either adjust air flow or switch to chunks.

Comment

As an MES Wattburner, I don't soak chips & also no water in the pan. It doesn't work.

However when I used to (6 years ago), whether it was Water, Wine, Beer, or Apple Juice made no difference.

Bear
      Vietnam Vet---9th Inf. Div. Mekong Delta (1969)
      Easy to follow Step By Steps: Pulled Cured Boston Butt Ham and Buckboard Bacon--Smoked Salmon-- Bacon-On-A-Stick--Bacon (Extra Smokey)--Boneless Cured & Smoked Pork Chops & CB--Canadian Bacon & Dried Beef--Ham Twins (Double Smoked)--Double Smoked Hams X 4--Bear Logs (All Beef--Unstuffed)--Smoked Bear Loaf (All Beef-Mild Hot)--Prime Rib (My Best ever)--Another Prime Rib--Chucky (Pulled Beef)--Twin Chuckies--Pork and Beef Spares--Rare Beef (for Sammies)--Raspberry Chiffon Pie---

Mom & 4 Cub litter---Potter County, PA:

Comment

If you're burning/smoldering wood chips for smoke it kinda defeats the purpose to add water to the mix. The chips won't rise above the boiling point of water to smolder. All the energy gets used up in the evaporation process until the water is gone before as rise in temp happens.

I've never understood that soaking concept since this is basic science stuff regarding phase change that was taught in high school.
        Bored Guy Blog

Comment

Never understood the soaking concept. No. Not necessary. Make real smoke, not steam. Burning wet wood is not conducive to a good flow of quality smoke.

Drinks well with others

~ P4 ~

Comment

I soak mine -- in air.

Originally posted by frog1369 View Post
            If the chips are burning up too fast I either adjust air flow or switch to chunks.
            Excellent advice right there.

Dave
            CUHS Metal Shop Reverse Flow
            UDS 1.0
            Afterburner
            Weber Performer
            Blue Thermapen
            Thermoworks Smoke with Gateway
            Thermoworks Chef Alarm
            Auber Smoker Controller
            Proud Smoked-Meat Member #88
            -
            "All welcome, take what ya need, share what ya know. " -- Richtee, 12/2/2010

Comment

I switched to chucks years ago.

However during the transition process i did wrap my chips in foil and puncture holes to control the rate of smoke.
              Island of Misfit Smokers Member #92

How to heal the world. Love people and feed them tasty food.

sigpic

Comment

Soaking them helps control Burn Speed. They will burn slower as the thicker part of the wood dries out slower than the thinner portions so it smokes longer

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by norman_brown View Post
                  Soaking them helps control Burn Speed. They will burn slower as the thicker part of the wood dries out slower than the thinner portions so it smokes longer
                  It helps them steam longer. It’s at best a poor solution to the problem of not being able to limit airflow and combustion properly. The excess moisture can also cause creosote formation and deposits.
                  In God I trust- All others pay cash...
                  Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
                  Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Originally posted by norman_brown View Post
                    Best way to control the "burn speed" is to adjust the proximity of the chips/chunks to the heat source if possible. Essentially you are adjusting the temperature being applied to the wood.

Soaking doesn't make them smoke longer. It just takes longer for them to dry out first so that they can start smoking.
                    CUHS Metal Shop Reverse Flow
                    UDS 1.0
                    Afterburner
                    Weber Performer
                    Blue Thermapen
                    Thermoworks Smoke with Gateway
                    Thermoworks Chef Alarm
                    Auber Smoker Controller
                    Proud Smoked-Meat Member #88
                    -
                    "All welcome, take what ya need, share what ya know. " -- Richtee, 12/2/2010

Comment

The thinner parts of the wood dry quicker than the thick part. The thinner Parts burn and produce smoke as the thicker Parts continue to dry dry which extends the length of time that it burns.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Richtee View Post
                        It helps them steam longer. It’s at best a poor solution to the problem of not being able to limit airflow and combustion properly. The excess moisture can also cause creosote formation and deposits.
                        I wish there was a like function on this board as this post would be getting several.
                        Bored Guy Blog

Comment

NEVER soak your wood!!! This is cooking related guys.
                          Rich nailed it. Creosote formation... Nasties. Ya' gotta learn air flow. Period.

Drinks well with others

~ P4 ~

Comment

Originally posted by HawgHeaven View Post
                            NEVER soak your wood!!! This is cooking related guys.
                            Rich nailed it. Creosote formation... Nasties. Ya' gotta learn air flow. Period.
                            Unless you have some cheap azz bourbon you need to get rid of...
                            Besides, nobody likes flaccid wood...

Not to mention the occasional campfire

My --->
                            Paul

Comment

Originally posted by THE ICEMAN View Post
                              Unless you have some cheap azz bourbon you need to get rid of...
                              Besides, nobody likes flaccid wood...
                              Can you use flaccid and wood in the same sentence?

Drinks well with others

~ P4 ~

Comment

Working...
                              X