I guess I'm a stick burner now

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I guess I'm a stick burner now

So I had some issues with my body warping on my ys480. I thought i could just hammer it out but Yoders customer service decided to send me a new body under warranty and didn't want the old body back. So I had to totally disassemble everything, and move it all to the new body. A couple of nights later I was up and running again but left with this old body that almost got tossed in the dumpster. But then the light bulb went off in my head.

First thing I needed to do was heat up and hammer out the warped areas. After a lot of sweat, I finally got it where I was happy. I ordered a new lid from Yoder for $160. So now I've got a body, a lid, a pile of scrap metal my father in law said i could go through and an idea to build a stick burner. For the firebox I wanted 1/4" steeI but settled for 3/16" because thats all he had and i didnt want to go buy any. We built a little charcoal rack and a searing rack for above the fire. We also made a new top shelf for inside the chamber. The only other thing I had to buy was the wheels, found on sale for $15 each. So I've got about $220 invested and a lot of sweat.

Did a burn in last night and just had to fire it up tonight for some burgers and boneless thighs the kids wanted. I gotta say it ran like a champ, was able to keep it solid at 250 for a couple of hours while testing then got it up to 325 to cook the burgers and chicken. Last night I had it up over 550 on the main chamber grate when doing some testing.

Well it's not the prettiest smoker in the world but its another tool for the belt and I think I'm really going to enjoy it. I think my fire was running clean because most of the time I could barely see any smoke

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
    Yoder YS480
    Maverick 732
    Tappecue
    Thermapen

Well I'll be damned...That is too cool...

I think you will like the flavor that real fire will bring to your cooking...

on the reload...For ingenuity...
    Craig
    sigpic

Comment

Nice work! Very clever
      sigpic

Some days I think Bravo Zulu, other days it's more like Whiskey Tango Foxtrot...

Comment

“Slicker’n snot onna doorknob” Nice work Mikey!
        In God I trust- All others pay cash...
        Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
        Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Wow Mikey, that's some fine worthy craftsmanship!

Drinks well with others

~ P4 ~

Comment

lol very neat
            Made In England - Fine Tuned By The USA
            Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

That is pretty cool! like what ya did with it!!
              Brian

Certified Sausage & Pepper Head
              Yoder YS640
              Weber Genesis
              Weber 18.5" Kettle
              Weber Performer
              Misfit # 1899

sigpic

Comment

Kewl idea and build.
                Jim

Comment

Sooo...I din’t realize there was an issue with warpage with the small Yoder... was this just an oddity, errr?
                  In God I trust- All others pay cash...
                  Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
                  Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Hell yeah..."I got some spare parts...I'm building a new smoker!" I love it!

on the reload.
                    BBQ Eng.

The "Cow Girls" were adopted from the shelter, and found on petfinder.com.
                    Adopt a homeless pet - http://www.petfinder.com
                    I built the Iron Maiden - Iron Maiden Smoker Build

Over 5000 unreadable posts...Photobucket can kiss my ass...they will never get a dime. I will not pay a ransom.

Comment

Originally posted by bigmikey View Post

Well it's not the prettiest smoker in the world but its another tool for the belt and I think I'm really going to enjoy it. I think my fire was running clean because most of the time I could barely see any smoke

Yep, one could even call it "fugly"...

to the stick burners club... Looks like it throws oot some tasty grub...

Not to mention the occasional campfire

My --->
                      Paul

Comment

As heavy duty as those Yoder cookers seem to be it surprises me that there was any warpage...No surprise that they fixed ya up with parts to correct it...
                        Craig
                        sigpic

Comment

Very cool build!! Nice work and nice cooking!!
                          Where to Shop -
                          www.OwensBBQ.com

Follow Tatonka Dust on Facebook -
                          https://www.facebook.com/TatonkaDust

Comment

Originally posted by Richtee View Post
                            Sooo...I din’t realize there was an issue with warpage with the small Yoder... was this just an oddity, errr?
                            Well I can only speak on mine. The first thing to warp was the heat diffuser. Not really a big deal as I just took a steel rod to hold it down on both ends which kept it somewhat straight and worked fine. Next was the bottom grates. Not a big deal at first but eventually two were warped about 3/8 up and 3rd one was 3/8 down. It started to become a problem for laying food in there flat. Sent customer service some pictures, they said they never seen that issue before and sent me a new set (which are starting to do same thing except this time they are all going same way so I don't see it being and issue). So then the new 2 piece diffuser came out. Got it as a Christmas gift for about $170. Within a couple months that had warped so bad that the insert piece had gaps on 2 sides which let all the grease drip through into the burn pot and bottom of chamber. It's was their first version of it, I sent the pictures and they sent a new one (new version was totally reinforced so it shouldn't warp again). Lastly the main body was warping in a couple places. First, the bottom grates fit fine when its cool, when heated to above 400 the side walls cave in popping the middle grate up and it won't go back down til cool. Not a huge deal I was just going to cut 1 bar off 1 grate to give it some more room. The other place in the body that warped was where the lid comes down and meets the body. The middle 6 inches had a 1/4"+ bubble in it -----,____,----- so when the lid came down it would hit on that bubble in the middle and left a 1/4+ gap on each side. I thought it could be fixed with some heat and pressure but checked with yoder first. They recommended sending a replacement body that I would transfer all other components too.

They stand behind their products and had great customer service. I don't know if anyone else has had problems but I'm guessing the high heat when maxed out has a lot to do with it.
                            Yoder YS480
                            Maverick 732
                            Tappecue
                            Thermapen

Comment

I don't think I have ever heard of anyone having the same problems on the 640 as you have had on the 480...
                              Craig
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X