Fresh oysters help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Fishawn View Post
    I can't comment on Slanted88's method, but personally I would shuck them first and freeze them in their own brine/liquid if you get them that way, in maybe a plastic container, or maybe in a salty water brine. If you vac pack in shells, you are looking for trouble with bags breaking and air getting in. Personally, if I got them raw, live in shell, and wanted to freeze them, I would shuck them and put them in a large plastic container with a lid and fill it with fairly heavily salted (Kosher or similar) water, cover so no or minimal air gets in and freeze. Just my thoughts.

Rockefeller Rocks!!

They would be coming in onion sacks

Comment

Originally posted by Blinginpse View Post
      Mtn oysters are good in the mid west too
      Calf fries as my cousin calls em, if nobody told you what they were you would down a plateful their good.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Fishbum View Post
        Calf fries as my cousin calls em, if nobody told you what they were you would down a plateful their good.

Dang right they are

Comment

As luck would have it I live in a fishing village on the Chesapeake Bay and never have encountered the said problem of have to preserve oysters

Good Luck
          Island of Misfit Smokers Member #92

How to heal the world. Love people and feed them tasty food.

sigpic

Comment

Never had to "preserve" oysters... they never last that long around me house...

Drinks well with others

~ P4 ~

Comment

Originally posted by HawgHeaven View Post
              Never had to "preserve" oysters... they never last that long around me house...

Apparently nobody around my group friends likes them Except for 1 and I don't think he and I can eat a bushel in 1 setting ourself lol. That's why trying to figure out about preserving. We don't know how long they will keep "fresh" or how to go about keeping them Fresh when get them. We've always bought them shucked from a store so it's a first for me

Comment

Apparently nobody around my group friends likes them Except for 1 and I don't think he and I can eat a bushel in 1 setting ourself lol. That's why trying to figure out about preserving. We don't know how long they will keep "fresh" or how to go about keeping them Fresh when get them. We've always bought them shucked from a store so it's a first for me
                Well, if it's just you and 1 other... don't buy so many!

Drinks well with others

~ P4 ~

Comment

Well, if it's just you and 1 other... don't buy so many!

Since it's a scarce thing to maybe freeze them Sounds like that our only option

Comment

Since it's a scarce thing to maybe freeze them Sounds like that our only option
                    If I lived closer, I'd gladly arrive at your abode and help you feast on a bushel of those buggers... I love oysters!!

Drinks well with others

~ P4 ~

Comment

If I lived closer, I'd gladly arrive at your abode and help you feast on a bushel of those buggers... I love oysters!!

If you was closer I'd expect you to
                      Come eat and come hungry. We get going
                      BeTween them oysters and 4$lb jumbo shrimp I'd think we could make a meal. May would even Half pull few ribeyes, sirloins or tbones out the freezer to from my beef . Maybe rack them fresh pork ribs too.

Comment

If you was closer I'd expect you to
                        Come eat and come hungry. We get going
                        BeTween them oysters and 4$lb jumbo shrimp I'd think we could make a meal. May would even Half pull few ribeyes, sirloins or tbones out the freezer to from my beef . Maybe rack them fresh pork ribs too.
                        Well, sounds like a menu to me! Mebee we can get our taste buds together some day!!

Drinks well with others

~ P4 ~

Comment

Well, sounds like a menu to me! Mebee we can get our taste buds together some day!!

That's fine by me. I appreciate the help over the last few weeks

Comment

If you can't eat them all in a day or so you can make all kinds of things with them and freeze them.

Pad them with your choice of breading. You can fry them then freeze or freeze without frying.
                            Oyster pie.
                            Oyster stew.
                            All should freeze well for later.

I have a few still in the shell in my freezer. Never did that before so not sure what to expect.

1 bushel is a lot for 2 guys but you might be surprised how many you can consume in a few days with a few.
                            Wish I could help you with your problem.
                            Ed

Smoke Vault 24
                            Vermont Castings Gas Grill
                            Thermoworks Smoke
                            The "Fastest" Orange Thermapen around!
                            The Neighbor's 36" Blackstone

Comment

Originally posted by Smooth E Smoke View Post
                              If you can't eat them all in a day or so you can make all kinds of things with them and freeze them.

Pad them with your choice of breading. You can fry them then freeze or freeze without frying.

Oyster pie.

Oyster stew.

All should freeze well for later.

I have a few still in the shell in my freezer. Never did that before so not sure what to expect.

1 bushel is a lot for 2 guys but you might be surprised how many you can consume in a few days with a few.

Wish I could help you with your problem.

What's the best way to keep them fresh for couple days with them coming in a onion sack

Comment

What's the best way to keep them fresh for couple days with them coming in a onion sack
                                An ice chest with ice put them on top and keep water drained. Spray them off with water first if sandy and gritty then chill. Split some shells and suck em down raw with a splash of hot sauce.

Comment

Working...
                                X