No announcement yet.

How long to Smoke 2 Briskets in Charcoal Smoker

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You really shouldn't poke anything into the meat until the surface has reached 140°. You can actually push bacteria into the meat from the surface. I know it's anal, but it's the facts.

Tom

Comment

Progress Report

First - Thanks Texas Hunter for the info on setting up a smoker temp probe. I'll be sure to use one next time.

Now for the update:

Friend dropped off the meat last night. Both briskets were heavily trimmed flats - no tips - in cryo pack. There was very little fat - oh well. I covered them in dry rub, wrapped in saran wrap and refrigerated over night.

Put them on the smoker @ 6AM. I put the 10 pounder on the bottom with the temp probe in it, then put the 8 pounder on the rack above it.

Smoking at "Ideal" range. Got to get a probe for the smoker.

This is what they looked like after 4 hours. I'm concerned that with so little fat they may be dry, so I wrapped them each in foil and put them back on. They felt "rubbery". At 5 hours the thermometer reads 160 degrees. The party is in 6 hours - hope they are done by then .

Comment

Mercy....they sure look good! Should be some fine eatin! Ya on it good!
        Sunset Eagle Aviation
        https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sunse...888015?fref=ts <... We sure could use some likes!

Comment

You want to foil at 160 to 170° anyway. You could spritz some type of fruit juice for flavor and steam too.
          For heavily trimmed cuts, you could wrap and/or stuff with bacon for fat. But even a heavily trimmed brisket from a corn fed beef breed will have plenty of fat.
          If I just had one good therm, I would use it for cooker temp, then take the meat temp in 6 or more hours and only once in a while. That factory Brinkman therm is the #1 reason for failure.

Tom

Comment

OK. They just hit 96% (9 1/2 hours). I post pics later, but I have a question now: I opened the foil to take a peek and theres got to be two cups of fat and juices in each brisket. I will put them in a cooler, take them to the party and slice there. Should I take them out of the juicy fat and re-wrap in foil or just leave them? I'm thinking re-wrap.

Comment

Great job

Fine looking smoke,got pic's and how did they turn out?
              South Georgia heat,,,smoking something....
              Chargrill w/ royaloak lump
              Mad Hunky droooooling

Comment

Originally posted by mrpbnm View Post
                OK. They just hit 96% (9 1/2 hours). I post pics later, but I have a question now: I opened the foil to take a peek and theres got to be two cups of fat and juices in each brisket. I will put them in a cooler, take them to the party and slice there. Should I take them out of the juicy fat and re-wrap in foil or just leave them? I'm thinking re-wrap.

I may be to late on this.. Take the juice out.. Re-wrap the briskys.. You can de-fat the juice.. Then and add the rest of it in some of the bbq sauce.. It will thin it a bit, but give it a really great flavor..

It makes for a great finishing sauce if someone just wants sliced brisket..
                Ken

I Should Have Been Rich Instead Of Being So Good Looking

Comment

Everyone Raved About the Brisket

I didn't get a quick answer, so I decided to save the juices and skim the fat like Texas Hunter suggested. I guess "Great minds think alike". I didn't think to mix it in the sauce, but some of the brisket looked a little dry when I was slicing it, so I poured just enough juices over those slices to moisten it (no one was any the wiser). Otherwise, both briskets turned out great! They were very tender and flavorful. I got so many compliments that I couldn't keep count. The host had other meats, so we didn't need to cut the second brisket. Well, not until people started leaving - everyone took a plate home, leaving only about 1/4 of the remaining brisket for the host! Thanks to you all for helping me pull this off!

P.S. I got this Brinkman Propane Smoker for father's day. I've never smoked with gas before, so I'll probably be back in a few weeks for tips on how to do it right.
                  Last edited by mrpbnm; 07-18-2010, 02:51 PM. Reason: fixed typos

Comment

Great thread man....Real glad it worked out for you as well.... on my re-load....Nothing finer then happy friends/family eating some good homemade Q....

Comment

Way-to-go

mrpbnm glad to hear it all turned out good. happy guest is always good. Dwayne to ya!
                      South Georgia heat,,,smoking something....
                      Chargrill w/ royaloak lump
                      Mad Hunky droooooling

Comment

Originally posted by mrpbnm View Post
                        Smoking at "Ideal" range. Got to get a probe for the smoker.
                        You may have already done this but, yes, you need to get a probe for the smoker. Otherwise you really have no idea what temp your cooking at. Sometimes those Warm/Ideal/Hot thermos can be WAY off.

http://www.smoked-meat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1101

Your brisket looks GREAT by the way. Once you start smoking with good temp info, they'll just get better.

Dave
                        CUHS Metal Shop Reverse Flow
                        UDS 1.0
                        Afterburner
                        Weber Performer
                        Blue Thermapen
                        Thermoworks Smoke with Gateway
                        Thermoworks Chef Alarm
                        Auber Smoker Controller
                        Proud Smoked-Meat Member #88
                        -
                        "All welcome, take what ya need, share what ya know. " -- Richtee, 12/2/2010

Comment

I'll definitely get another temp probe. I've got to shop for a good multi probe - not happy with the el cheapo Taylor from Lowe's. It kept turning itself off. Thanks again all and thanks for the points ALX and Dwayne!

Comment

Working...
                          X