Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

28 Pound Beef Shoulder Clod Hacked Up By Untrained Meat Smoking Clod With 10 Pictures

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

From the title name, at first I thought this was from another person ..........

That's one big hunk of Elsie!
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Big D
      Nice job Mr Fish.

Comment

Originally posted by T-bone Tim View Post
        Scott you did a great job disecting that hunk of beef , by the way it was not a clod butt rather a boneless blade,sometimes called boneless chuck roll , that piece is from the top of the shoulder , the clod is from the lower shoulder just above the elbow if you will on the front leg of the animal ... on pork it (the clod ) would be called a picnic ...

the flat iron is removed from the blade primal when processing the bonelss chuck roll ... however there is usually a small piece left on the end of a whole clod / not the bnlsblade ...

for the disect job , you done good

here's a couple links for a look see ,the last one is best

http://www.beefretail.org/CMDocs/Bee...stCutGuide.pdf

http://vodpod.com/watch/3214535-chuck-roll

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...0718199196999#
        3 Montes...... Some info here from T Bone Tim may be useful
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by T-bone Tim View Post
          Scott you did a great job disecting that hunk of beef , by the way it was not a clod butt rather a boneless blade,sometimes called boneless chuck roll , that piece is from the top of the shoulder , the clod is from the lower shoulder just above the elbow if you will on the front leg of the animal ... on pork it (the clod ) would be called a picnic ...

the flat iron is removed from the blade primal when processing the bonelss chuck roll ... however there is usually a small piece left on the end of a whole clod / not the bnlsblade ...

for the disect job , you done good

here's a couple links for a look see ,the last one is best

http://www.beefretail.org/CMDocs/Bee...stCutGuide.pdf

http://vodpod.com/watch/3214535-chuck-roll

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...0718199196999#
          The second link show the chuckroll and the clod coming from the round or back end of the cow. This shows them coming from the "other" end?
          What gives here? I thought chuck came from the front shoulder?

The last link does not work anymore.

On edit, I just noticed the Delmonico comes from the chuckroll, din knowd dat!
          Last edited by Mark R; 04-28-2013, 06:44 AM.
          Mark
          sigpic

"Likes smokey old pool rooms, clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?
          Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head!

Comment

Thanks for the re-post on this Fish lots of good info and your pics are great! Hope I can be as good of a hack as you! I will be slicing and dicing both those chuck rolls for smoking on Memorial day. I will also be doing most or all of that 70lbs of pork butt. This is for the 100 people the following Saturday.
            Hoping I can get it all on my smoker at one time.
            Going to be very hard to judge how much meat is going to be needed because this is a buffet style lunch where people are free to make their own portions.

I will be sure to take pics of my hack job and post the results.
            G Spot BBQ Hittin' The Spot Since 2004

Comment

Originally posted by 3montes View Post
              Thanks for the re-post on this Fish lots of good info and your pics are great! Hope I can be as good of a hack as you! I will be slicing and dicing both those chuck rolls for smoking on Memorial day. I will also be doing most or all of that 70lbs of pork butt. This is for the 100 people the following Saturday.
              Hoping I can get it all on my smoker at one time.
              Going to be very hard to judge how much meat is going to be needed because this is a buffet style lunch where people are free to make their own portions.

I will be sure to take pics of my hack job and post the results.
              Just so you know 3M, Fish is a "Hack" from way back!
              Mark
              sigpic

"Likes smokey old pool rooms, clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?

Comment

That first link from T Bone Tim is some good info but it dosen't tell you what to do with the under blade once you seperate it from the chuck eye.

Because I'm going to make this entire thing into pulled beef I don't think I will seperate the two cuts but rather do some inital trimming and then hack into workable size roasts. At one point in that link it actually says the chuck eye roasts can be used as substitute for prime rib

Comment

Originally posted by Mark R View Post
                  Just so you know 3M, Fish is a "Hack" from way back!
                  I gathered that!

Comment

Originally posted by 3montes View Post
                    That first link from T Bone Tim is some good info but it dosen't tell you what to do with the under blade once you seperate it from the chuck eye.

Because I'm going to make this entire thing into pulled beef I don't think I will seperate the two cuts but rather do some inital trimming and then hack into workable size roasts. At one point in that link it actually says the chuck eye roasts can be used as substitute for prime rib
                    I think that's the Delmonico, I think.
                    Mark
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Mark R View Post
                      I think that's the Delmonico, I think.
                      Somewhere in my web surfing I read about the Delmonico being in there too. I think you are right on that Mark.
                      There is also a guy from Peoria Cookers I think who low and slows the whole roll into pulled beef. Took him 22 hours. Which is why I want to hack it into smaller roasts.

Comment

Working...
                      X