Buffalo Brisket?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Buffalo Brisket?

Anyone smoked a Buffalo Brisket?....Sounds interesting to me. A guy down the road from me raises them & sells the meat. Just curious.
    sigpic

Mossy Mo's FIL raises em also. And i am pretty sure he has done the brisket. He should be on here later..........he will be able to help you

let us not cry because we lost someone, but let us smile because we enjoyed their company for what time was allowed us!

Comment

Mmmmmmmmmm bison brisket. I have done them many times, what would you like to know. Low and slow heat my friend.
      sigpic

Comment

Oops, my bad. I replied to Fishawn in Smurftown !!!
        Is this where I loose points?
        --- --- --- --- --- --- ---
        www.OwensBBQ.com

Comment

Originally posted by MossyMO View Post

Losing points for goin there.

Comment

Originally posted by Fishawn View Post
            Anyone smoked a Buffalo Brisket?....
            Now that just sounds cool!!

If that doesn't appeal to your inner caveman "Lets cook big hunk of meat over fire" instincts, I don't know what does.

Originally posted by davidmcg View Post
            Mmmmmmmmmm bison brisket. I have done them many times, what would you like to know.
            Are they huge? They sound like they would be.

Dave
            CUHS Metal Shop Reverse Flow
            UDS 1.0
            Afterburner
            Weber Performer
            Blue Thermapen
            Thermoworks Smoke with Gateway
            Thermoworks Chef Alarm
            Auber Smoker Controller
            Proud Smoked-Meat Member #88
            -
            "All welcome, take what ya need, share what ya know. " -- Richtee, 12/2/2010

Comment

I tried to take em away, just wouldnt let me.
              Mike
              Smokin' in Fla
              Go Gators
              My toys
              sigpic

Comment

LOL, no, you did eventually find your way.So your good!
                now, , lets hear about these things a bit. I am very interested, and also think it would make some great reading.
                Lang 60 Mobile deluxe

Captain-N-Smoke BBQ Team(retired)

Comment

Man, I'd love to find one of those and give it a shot. I would imagine it's leaner so my instinct tells me it's a shorter smoke but if you go too far, it would be very dry.

I'd love the chance to give that one a shot. Buffalo is great...we eat a fair amount of burgers and it's excellent.
                  Pete
                  Large BGE
                  Char Broil Tru-Infrared Commercial series

Comment

I trim mine to thickness about 3 1/2 inches thick....cook like beef brisket...low and slow...not as much fat..but got a lot of fat (on my last one) I also have pluged fat into real lean meat,,,,I take the rest trimmings and grind corse for susage..
                    sigpic

Comment

At WD's persistance, here is what I have had to say about buffalo brisket.

MossyMO posted - Fishawn
                      My father in law raises buffalo and I have quite a bit of experience cooking/smoking bison. I have not done a bison brisket yet; have one in the freezer, just has not happened yet. When making buffalo meat the general rule of thumb is low n' slow, since smoking generally follows the same guidelines I think you will be fine. Whomever is doing the butchering/ processing of the buffalo, just make sure they know you want as much fatcap possible left on the brisket.
                      Keep an eye on it and mop/spritz as often as needed.....

Here is a link to a couple Buffalo Prime Ribs I smoked the X-Mas before last. - http://www.smurfmeatforums.com/sho...ighlight=prime

erain replied - mossy, just a question, dont know nothing about bison. but all other venison we alway try and remove all fat as the fat is not the best tasting stuff. is bison different than other venison??? almost got given some here a bit ago, still might happen, just curiuos to know. thanks

MossyMO replied - erain
                      For me buffalo fat on a ribeye taste just like beef fat on a ribeye; venison fat taste like crap !!! Venison fat has no place in sausage, on a steak, roast, etc. Best way to ruin venison jerky is to leave ANY fat on the meat, it is stringy junk that gives the meat a fowl taste. With beef or buffalo, the taste and texture is tolerable.
                      --- --- --- --- --- --- ---
                      www.OwensBBQ.com

Comment

erain replied - mossy, just a question, dont know nothing about bison. but all other venison we alway try and remove all fat as the fat is not the best tasting stuff. is bison different than other venison??? almost got given some here a bit ago, still might happen, just curiuos to know. thanks
                        erain, where did you here bison is similar to venison? Just curious.

let us not cry because we lost someone, but let us smile because we enjoyed their company for what time was allowed us!

Comment

So I'm still trying to wrap my brain around this one. Bison is really lean, we all agree on that. I can understand low and slow as it is a thick cut, but what's the final internal temp. I'm thinking like medium rare beef? If you take it to beef brisket temps, I'd think it would be hockey puck material.

Comment

Working...
                          X