Flat Iron Steak with fixings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flat Iron Steak with fixings

We did this tonite, i am stating now, in front of ALL you folks, its my NEW fav. meat! I will put the tenderness of this cut of meat up against a rib eye or prime rib, for lil more than half the cost! Try it sometime and see if you agree.

This was a 1.55 lb flat iron, that i marinaded over nite, bout 14 hours werth. Used a variation of my JD marinade.

the marinade i used this time:

1/8th cup JD
    1/4 cup Brandy, your choice
    1/2 cup Brown Sugar
    2 tbsp Mustard
    1 tbsp Minced Garlic
    2 tbsp Teriaki Sauce
    2 tbsp Worchester
    2 tsp "Spicy" Montreal Steak Seasonings, This really gave it a bite

thunderstick it up good, and pour over the steak in a zip lock baggie, and into the fridge.

The steak outta the marinade

This being the first time i have smoked this cut of meat (I have grilled it before with EXCELLANT results!) no sure how long it would take.

Put it on a 250 smoker........less than 50 minutes later, it was at 144.....but was still excellant. I also took the marinade, and reduced it to almost a paste.

I took this marinade, and glazed the meat for bout 15 minutes.

Here is the meat done.

had some smoked corn on the cob, removed from the cob, frozen, that i thawed and heated up.

Also did some twice smoked taters. The tutorial in the sides forum.

all plated up

i am REAL glad this cut of meat finally made it to our stores here in the midwest. I know I will be chosing it over any t-bone, rib eye, or sirloin. Try it and see if you agree.............

thankx for looking

let us not cry because we lost someone, but let us smile because we enjoyed their company for what time was allowed us!

My wife bought a couple awhile back on special. Really liked them and haven't seen them again around here. Looks great dude.

Comment

Great Meal Dude.... The Flatty is a great tender cut & priced right too. Nice Work!
      sigpic

Comment

nice job steve!!! this cut is available from a shoulder clod if ya buy one. trim this section off for the flatirons and get em even cheaper... nice meal d88de
        Charbroil SFB
        GOSM
        MES
        Dutch Ovens and other CI
        Little Chief, Big Chief, No Name water smoker
        Weber 22" gold, Smokey Joe, WSM 22"

Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head

sigpic

Comment

Looks great, WD! I haven't seen any flatiron steaks or shoulder clods around here. Guess I'm just out of luck.
          sigpic
          Smoke Vault 24

Comment

That is a good looking piece of steak Dude
            Brian
            http://www.youtube.com/user/btjohnson83
            You can follow me on twitter at
            http://www.twitter.com/btjohnson83

CGSP w/ mods
            38" Smoke Hollow/early fathers day gift, yay!
            wally world kettle grill

Comment

Originally posted by Bassman View Post
              Looks great, WD! I haven't seen any flatiron steaks or shoulder clods around here. Guess I'm just out of luck.
              Look for top blade. It will have a membrane down the middle. Fillet the mebrane out and have 2 Flatirons.

This cut is rated by the meat science colleges as the second most tender cut on the carcass. I have to contest whether or not it is as tender as the hanger steak.

This
              has a little sketch that shows how.

Comment

Nice job on the hunk o beef Steve.

2 Weber Kettles
                Weber Smokey Joe
                Chargriller Smoking Pro Offset
                Brinkman ECB
                Charbroil 940X
                Project UDS
                Brinkman Turkey Fryer

Comment

Nice work Dude... flat's where it's at!
                  In God I trust- All others pay cash...
                  Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
                  Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Looks good Steve. Never tried it before. I'm gonna have to check with my butcher and see if he can cut me up some.

sigpic
                    Brinkman SnP-w/mods
                    ECB
                    GOSM
                    MES for sticks and sausage
                    30 yr old Weber Kettle
                    Brinkman gasser

Comment

Thanks for the info On trimming the top blade Okie.

Comment

Originally posted by SmokyOkie View Post
                        Look for top blade. It will have a membrane down the middle. Fillet the mebrane out and have 2 Flatirons.

This cut is rated by the meat science colleges as the second most tender cut on the carcass. I have to contest whether or not it is as tender as the hanger steak.

This
                        has a little sketch that shows how.
                        Thanks for the link. I'll be on the search now to find some.
                        sigpic
                        Smoke Vault 24

Comment

Nice job Dude, that looks awesome
                          Custom Reverse Flow Smoker, WSM 22", Blackstone Griddle 36"

Comment

VERY cool Okie... now that leftover hunk... a stuffed rolled roast perhaps? Yeah you could just cook to pull...but would it make a good roller?
                            In God I trust- All others pay cash...
                            Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
                            Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Outstanding steak dude.. I just dont see this cut often in our stores..
                              Ken

I Should Have Been Rich Instead Of Being So Good Looking

Comment

Working...
                              X