Hot Chicken Tacos.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hot Chicken Tacos.....

Let me start this off by saying first, this is the fist time I have ever fried chicken. So, it's not pretty but it was pretty good.

I ran across a Hot Chicken recipe that sounded very good. I was going to actually smoke the chicken indirect just like I do with chicken fingers.....http://www.smoked-meat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=18024

Well, suffice it to say, I got lazy. It's so hot out here and I'm tired of it. Can't wait for snow in all honesty so I wasn't interested in dealing with a fire.

So, I have a couple of DO's and I figured I'd fry chicken for the first time ever.

Long story short, I used HAW in the flour and the second dip, used Sriracha in the egg wash and 2 breasts/$2 for the bird. I'll just post the recipe I worked off of and leave it at that.

NASHVILLE HOT CHICKEN TACO
    • SLAW
    • 1/2 head Cabbage sliced very thin
    • 3 red fresno chile peppers sliced very thin
    • 2 Carrots sliced very thin with julienne peeler or spiralizer
    • 1 Lime juiced
    • 2 tablespoons Mayo
    • Salt and Pepper
    • CHICKEN
    • 1 pound Chicken Tenders
    • 1.5 cups Flour
    • 2 Eggs
    • 1 tablespoon Hot Sauce
    • Salt and Pepper
    • Oil for Frying
    • 1 tablespoon cayenne pepper or more if you want it really hot!
    • 1 tablespoon Brown Sugar
    • 1/2 tablespoon Paprika
    • 1 teaspoon Garlic powder
    • TACOS
    • 18 Old El Paso Hard Shell Tacos
    • 45 dill pickle slices cut in half
    • chicken and slaw from above
    INSTRUCTIONS
    1. Mix all the slaw ingredients and refrigerate for at least 1 hour to come together
    2. Slice the tenders into 3 nugget sized pieces. If any of the pieces seem wide, slice them in half the long way into thinner planks so they will fit into the tacos.
    3. Toss the chicken with salt and pepper and refrigerate for 1 hour.
    4. Bring frying oil to 375 and preheat oven to 325
    5. Beat the eggs in a shallow bowl with the hot sauce. Pour 1 cup of the flour into another shallow bowl and season with salt and pepper.
    6. Add 1/2 cup of the flour to the chicken and toss to coat. There should be a light coating of flour on each piece.
    7. In groups of 3 or so, dip the chicken in the egg wash to coat, and then toss in the flour mixture. Set aside on a plate until they have all been coated.
    8. Meanwhile, put the taco shells on a baking sheet and bake at 325 until crisp.
    9. Fry the chicken in batches of 6 to 10 depending on how big your fryer is. Do not overcrowd.
    10. Remove from fryer onto a wire rack.
    11. Meanwhile, mix the cayenne, brown sugar, paprika, and garlic powder in a metal bowl.
    12. After all the chicken is fried, very carefully spoon out 1/2 cup of the hot oil into the bowl with the spices. Be careful not to breath in too heavy during this process! Whisk to combine.
    13. Dip the chicken pieces into the spicy oil and return them to the rack.
    14. Build your tacos starting with the chunks of chicken, followed by the pickles, and then the slaw on top.

Well, I will say it was a learning experience. We all thought the chicken was very good but in all honesty, could do without the rest of it. I enjoyed the tacos but if I went the taco route again, I'd use either soft corn or flour tortillas. The pickles worked in this. The kids were just about the chicken and wanted to eat them like nuggets.

Some less than impressive pics but I was scrambling a bit and in new territory :

I'm sure some of you guys from the South can get me dialed in on this so have at it in the comments.

Thanks for looking.
    Pete
    Large BGE
    Char Broil Tru-Infrared Commercial series

Looks tasty! We make fish tacos often, and sometimes shredded chicken, butt never tried fried chicken. Pickles eh? Hmmmmm
    sigpic

Comment

Looks fine with me!! good eats!
      Brian

Certified Sausage & Pepper Head
      Yoder YS640
      Weber Genesis
      Weber 18.5" Kettle
      Weber Performer
      Misfit # 1899

sigpic

Comment

Hell yeah Pete...I could go for that big time...
        Craig
        sigpic

Comment

Looks dang fine to me Pete!

Drinks well with others

~ P4 ~

Comment

Looks good
            Jim

Comment

Chicken isn't my favorite, but it Looks Dang Good to me!!!

Bear
              Vietnam Vet---9th Inf. Div. Mekong Delta (1969)
              Easy to follow Step By Steps: Pulled Cured Boston Butt Ham and Buckboard Bacon--Smoked Salmon-- Bacon-On-A-Stick--Bacon (Extra Smokey)--Boneless Cured & Smoked Pork Chops & CB--Canadian Bacon & Dried Beef--Ham Twins (Double Smoked)--Double Smoked Hams X 4--Bear Logs (All Beef--Unstuffed)--Smoked Bear Loaf (All Beef-Mild Hot)--Prime Rib (My Best ever)--Another Prime Rib--Chucky (Pulled Beef)--Twin Chuckies--Pork and Beef Spares--Rare Beef (for Sammies)--Raspberry Chiffon Pie---

Mom & 4 Cub litter---Potter County, PA:

Comment

Working...
              X