Smoked veggie salsa

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Smoked veggie salsa

Changing the brake pads/oil lube on truck today and figured smoking some garden veggies would be something else to get done....

16 jap plants for chipotles are peaking here....

Only have room in one dehydrator for the red japs/chipotles-other one is loaded, so bottom grate was salsa.....becoming stricter about wasting any smoke.

Ran out of onions a month ago-everything else was picked this morning with japs-green chile,3 type sweet peppers,tomatoes and garlic from july..No japs in salsa-they are tad bit hot....

I colder smoke the chipotles,so i broiled the veggies after 2 hours smoke

Added juice of lime,fresh parsley,cilantro,little of my cayene powder,salt-pepper to taste

Tasty snack-even the cat(top right) poked his nose in....

Looks good to me. I like the garlic cloves on the skewer-easy to handle that way.
    KCBS/CBJ #56408

"Sticks and stones will break your bones, but words will always teach you." -Shihan

Comment

Mighty tasty looking salsa ! Brought my own chips, but couldn't seem to get a handle on that salsa ya got. Nice smoke. Thank you for sharing.
      Ryan

I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
      Clint Eastwood

sigpic

Comment

Now that's some fine looking salsa Alx. Kudos...
        ---------------------------------------------------
        I plan ahead, that way I don't do anything right now.
        ---------------------------------------------------
        KCBS CBJ

Comment

I bet that's some great salsa ALX. I've been wanting to try something like that myself. Have you ever slipped the skins off the 'maters before smokin' them?

I don't know what I'm doing wrong with my pepper plants, my jap plants never get that tall. And this year especially. Our summer was cold and rainy and out of 9 plants, I bet I only got about 30 japs.

Great looking smoke!
          Last edited by MichChef; 09-18-2009, 03:48 PM.

Comment

Great lookin japs. Its chipotle time for sure...

As for the salsa...smokin veggies is the way to go. I like to slice my tomatoes and onion in half and put them in cut side up. They take in lots of smoke and you can skip the broilin step...but I guess Im smokin a little hotter.
            Craig
            sigpic

Comment

Nice salsa!
              Becky

https://www.facebook.com/jennie.r.smith.77?ref=tn_tnmn

Weber 22.5" One Touch Gold Kettle - Black
              Weber 22.5" One Touch Gold Kettle - Copper
              1993 Weber 22.5" Master Touch Kettle - Red
              Weber 18.5" One Touch Silver Kettle - Budweiser
              Weber Smokey Joe
              Multiple Dutch Ovens and other Cast Iron
              Pink Thermapen
              Purple Thermapen

Comment

Congrats on some great looking salsa fresca. Smoke and seeds forever.
                GOSM Big Block
                Weber 22 1/2 in. grill
                Brinkman all-in-one charcoal and gas
                Pepperhead Award posthumously-

Miss you Rich- How's the ABT's up there?

Comment

Originally posted by MichChef View Post
                  I bet that's some great salsa ALX. I've been wanting to try something like that myself. Have you ever slipped the skins off the 'maters before smokin' them?

I don't know what I'm doing wrong with my pepper plants, my jap plants necer get that tall. And this year especially. our sunner was cold and rainy and out of 9 plants, I bet I only got about 30 japs.

Great looking smoke!
                  I usually indirect grill smoke them on kettle.The skins slip off.Never had a problem not getting enough smoke in maters anywho....

I start everything from seed in my growroom,then move to sunroom and put them out everyday possible before planting....

These plants are Goliath and Grande-trying to get as much meat for powder.

I start japs mid-march and transfer to 4 inch pots after 2 sets of leaves appear

This is april 15th jap-pulled out(bad PIC)i have planted may 2-10 last 25 years...Plants never root bound and hardened off

Another alternative is pruning roots and stalk and overwintering.This hab was pulled from garden in 2007.

April 15th-2009

Here it is 2 weeks ago-has 16 or so fruits

I have never taken pics of overwintering peppers/prunning roots/stalk

Peppers are perrenials....

Comment

I remember seeing some of those pics before. Pretty sweet setup you got there. A good start makes all the difference.
                    Craig
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by SMOKE FREAK View Post
                      I remember seeing some of those pics before. Pretty sweet setup you got there. A good start makes all the difference.
                      Yep-posted on.....in april.Thanks for compliment.Starting early is only way i can get a good crop when spring is record wet/cool like this year.Plus, nusery selection is bunk here...

Paprika have couple hundred 1/2 ready-fingers are crossed.I only have enough right now for next years comps-have not smoked any yet

Comment

Thanks for the PM about your reply ALX. I start all of my plants from seed too under lights in my basement, but I don't have an y sunny locations to move them to.........yet. My wife bought me a greenhouse kit for Christmas, but I don't have the site prepared for it yet so I can assemble it. Once I do......I'll be starting peppers and 'maters in February.

Comment

Originally posted by MichChef View Post
                          Thanks for the PM about your reply ALX. I start all of my plants from seed too under lights in my basement, but I don't have an y sunny locations to move them to.........yet. My wife bought me a greenhouse kit for Christmas, but I don't have the site prepared for it yet so I can assemble it. Once I do......I'll be starting peppers and 'maters in February.

That should really give you a jump.I start my hotter peppers Pequin,cayene,etc in feb. as well.The japs grow so quick in sunroom i start them with bell types in march...

Good Luck.What a challenge growing up north.

Comment

Now that gardening season has officially started (potatoes went in the ground yesterday so it has begun ) I can't wait for everything to ripen and to give this a try.
                            There is a cure...http://phoenixtears.ca/

sigpic

Comment

Nice looking salsa Alx
                              Smokers:
                              ECB -The Brinkman All-In-One Bullet type Water smoker aka -Baby Bink)Camp Chef Smoke Vault 24 Inch propane smoke (aka -Black Beauty)
                              SunJoy horizontal with left side firebox (aka - Lefty Lucy)
                              River Grille - Black Ceramic Egg (aka Black Egg)

Smoke preference:Combination of Charcoal, Hickory, Apple, Cherry & Pecan wood.

Comment

Working...
                              X