Brisket Emergency from a new user!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brisket Emergency from a new user!

Hey there...just smoked my first brisket. It is a 14 pound full packer from sams club. I trimmed it up a bit and took the huge fat veins out and left about a 1/4 inch of fat on the fat side. Gave it a simple dry rub as well. Everything I have read in various sites said minimum of about 75 minutes a pound at around 225 to 230. I put it in my madterbuilt electric smoker last night 11pm thinking it would take minimum of 15 hours and be ready for Christmas supper here in MN. Additionally temps overnight were down below zero so I thought that would slow it down. Long story short my brisket was down at 8 am....only 9 hours. I know my temp on my gauge is correct and I also proved all over for both temp and it slid in easily. 1) How is this possible? And 2) Now what!? I wrapped in towels and put in a cooler but will it really make 530 supper??

Not all meats cook the same. Smoking, goes by temp more so than time. Although one can get a general idea based of past performances of when it will be done, but go by temp. Wrapped in FOIL first and not just a towel. Will it makes it to 530? Maybe, maybe not, depends on the cooler. If you have room, you could take some boiling water and pour it into a large tupperware container or something like that and place it in there with it to help maintain temps.....Just a thought

On edit, where about in MN are you at? We had some cold temps last night, but I don't believe we went below zero
    https://youtu.be/ZcqprrIlbcIli

Comment

Welcome to Smoked-Meat.. Some briskets will cook faster than others, some will hit a stall for 4-5 hours. You're still in good shape, wrap in foil then towels and place in a small cooler.. Pack it tight with towels till you are ready about an hour before dinner. You may want to check the temp and reheat in oven for that hour before slicing..
      Ken

I Should Have Been Rich Instead Of Being So Good Looking

Comment

Cooler, towels, temp check at 4:00... it will still be hot I think. Just don't open the dang cooler till 4!! Oven set to 300 in case you need to warm up and firm up bark prior to serving. You good, keep on cooking sides, you be fine.

Welcome from Ohio.
        Brian

Certified Sausage & Pepper Head
        Yoder YS640
        Weber Genesis
        Weber 18.5" Kettle
        Weber Performer
        Misfit # 1899

sigpic

Comment

To Smoked-Meat and congrats on your first brisket

I think if ya follow the instructions that Todd and Ken (and Brian) gave ya you will be fine...And yes you may need a slight reheat...

Merry Christmas...
          Craig
          sigpic

Comment

Merry Christmas all and thank you all for your quick responses and help in this matter!!!! You have given me some peace of mind as I was stressing majorly with this. I did wrap in foil and a couple towels and am preparing to insulate better as well. God bless all,
            Tom

Comment

And....most importantly....don't leave it in the garage as you travel an hour and a half to your Christmas Dinner!!!! I don't have any idea who might have done that.
              But it was still hot when I got home. :)
              Kent [sigpic

Lang 36" Patio
              GMG Daniel Boone
              Husker Red UDS V.2014
              22" Black Weber Kettle V.1988
              40" MES V. 2
              British Racing Green Thermapen w/Glow-in-the-dark silicone boot!
              Thermapen Smoke

Comment

Originally posted by Courser View Post
                And....most importantly....don't leave it in the garage as you travel an hour and a half to your Christmas Dinner!!!! I don't have any idea who might have done that.

Guaranteed way to get leftovers right there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

All good advice here... Merry Christmas!!

Drinks well with others

~ P4 ~

Comment

Just wanted to update anyone that cared but a) the 14 pound brisket was indeed done after 9 hours at 230 degree heat in master built electric smoker b) I wrapped in about 5 towels along with boiling hot water in Tupperware and put in cooler c) it was very warm at 530 pm and didn’t need additional heat and lastly d) it tasted very good and everyone loved it. Everyone’s input on this thread was awesome!!

Comment

Originally posted by tomthone View Post
                      Just wanted to update anyone that cared but a) the 14 pound brisket was indeed done after 9 hours at 230 degree heat in master built electric smoker b) I wrapped in about 5 towels along with boiling hot water in Tupperware and put in cooler c) it was very warm at 530 pm and didn’t need additional heat and lastly d) it tasted very good and everyone loved it. Everyone’s input on this thread was awesome!!
                      You are VERY WELCOME...Folks here love to help out...
                      Craig
                      sigpic

Comment

Oh Chit.

I din’t see this in http://www.smoked-meat.com/forum/sho...48894#poststop

Hint Hint
                        In God I trust- All others pay cash...
                        Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
                        Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Originally posted by Richtee View Post
                          Oh Chit.

I din’t see this in http://www.smoked-meat.com/forum/sho...48894#poststop

Hint Hint
                          ok! You shamed me into it.
                          Kent [sigpic

Lang 36" Patio
                          GMG Daniel Boone
                          Husker Red UDS V.2014
                          22" Black Weber Kettle V.1988
                          40" MES V. 2
                          British Racing Green Thermapen w/Glow-in-the-dark silicone boot!
                          Thermapen Smoke

Comment

Originally posted by tomthone View Post
                            for that first briskie! my only advice would be to keep smoking them, discard whatever advice doesn't work for ya, and keep doing the things that do.
                            New Braunfels Black Diamond
                            18.5" WSM
                            Weber Performer Deluxe Black
                            18.5 Weber Kettle
                            22.5 Weber Kettle
                            Maverick ET732
                            6, 8, 10 and 12' Lodge DO

Smoked Meat Misfits: "the change it had to come. We knew it all along. We were liberated from the fold, that's all" - The Who.

sigpic

Comment

Glad it worked out for ya!

Comment

Working...
                              X