Asian Cajun Shrimp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Asian Cajun Shrimp

Well, another grilling item but since these shrimp are so large, I'll try them on the smoker next time (very quick change with the BGE). This was the first time I treid this recipe. We got these shrimp on sale for $2.50 a lb as I did 2 lbs. Still have 2 more lbs in reserve.

Anyway, I peeled the shrimp but left the tail on. Then, they went into a brine for 4 hours. I rinsed them and onto the skewer they went followed with some rub made up of some spices and garlic:

I also made up a sauce with garlic, tomato sauce, spices/peppers (which are always close at hand around here) and some soy sauce. First off, here's the setup:

The sauce goes into a skillet and gets reduced on the grill with some orange peel added. Once reduced to a thick sauce, I sear the shrimp and then lather on the sauce, recoating each time I flip the shrimp. Since these are the big guys, it took a little time which was good. I had them over lump and apple wood at 400 degrees.

Here's the finished product and they pack some good heat but that's easily controlled depending on personal taste.:

They didn't last long. However, I want to try these big guys with smoke next time to see what the difference is.

P.S. also smoked up some more Thai Dragon peppers before the shrimp. They were finished in the dehydrator this morning. Made the garage smell wonderful . With all the cool weather and hail this year, it won't be a good pepper year but that's life.

Thanks for looking.
    Pete
    Large BGE
    Char Broil Tru-Infrared Commercial series

I new this thread would have some hot peppers in it.. Bring on the Thai peppers.. Yowsah, Yowsah, Yowsah!!!
    Ken

I Should Have Been Rich Instead Of Being So Good Looking

Comment

Crap, I'd like a skewer or two of those with a Tsing Tao! :)

Comment

Just real nice!...Love shrimp! No choice.....Louie's Dad is a commerical shrimper.
        Sunset Eagle Aviation
        https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sunse...888015?fref=ts <... We sure could use some likes!

Comment

I'm in, those shrimp look killer.
          ---------------------------------------------------
          I plan ahead, that way I don't do anything right now.
          ---------------------------------------------------
          KCBS CBJ

Comment

Crap, I'd like a skewer or two of those with a Tsing Tao! :)
            make that two of us :-)

$2.50 a pound.
            and the sickening thing is you only bought 2 pounds lol
            shrimp that size are around the $18 a pound mark over here (and that's the cheap bags from costco) I wouldn't like to think what they'd cost from a fish monger, and you won't see anything bigger than 40's in the supermarkets.
            Last edited by curious aardvark; 08-17-2009, 04:42 AM.
            Made In England - Fine Tuned By The USA
            Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

Pete, those look absolutely mouth watering! And with the peppers, maybe just a little eye watering
              sigpic
              Smoke Vault 24

Comment

Looks great man. I could definately go for some of those.
                KCBS/CBJ #56408

"Sticks and stones will break your bones, but words will always teach you." -Shihan

Comment

Thanks everyone, they were a first try and turned out good.

CA as well as Bassman, I got the shrimp at King Soopers which is our local grocery store (owned by Kroger). I don't know what the deal is but they are regularly $18 a lb as you said. I just looked at their new add and they are now $4 a lb, save $14.

Whole yard birds are on sale for $.88 a lb as well so I'll have to stock up whicle I can.
                  Pete
                  Large BGE

Comment

Pete, do you always take your thai's while they are green?

i let all my peppers go to the red stage...........

let us not cry because we lost someone, but let us smile because we enjoyed their company for what time was allowed us!

Comment

Originally posted by Walking Dude View Post
                      Pete, do you always take your thai's while they are green?

i let all my peppers go to the red stage...........
                      Yeah I do, I've not found much, if any difference as long as they have been on the vine long enough to mature. This way, I can increase the yields on my plants and get many more peppers during a short season in these parts.

When I find reds on the plants, I have eaten them raw and really don't find them any hotter than a green one right next to it. Plus, the red ones are fully mature and if not picked relatively soon, either fall off or start to shrivel up.

Maybe I'm wrong but with their scoville rating, smoke, dehydration, and powder, I really don't think I'm loosing anything but rather getting more in terms of yield.
                      Pete
                      Large BGE

Comment

Those Hockey Pucks (shrimps) were a deal at 2.50 / lb.

...and they look incredible.
                        Weber Smokey Joe
                        Weber 22.5" Silver
                        Weber Performer Platinum
                        Smokey Mountain Gas Vertical Water Smoker
                        Big Green Egg XL with iQue 110
                        [SIGPIC][SIGPIC]

Comment

Working...
                        X