Tumbled Chicken Thighs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tumbled Chicken Thighs

So I got a chance to try out the tumbler yesterday.

Decided to test it out with some chicken thighs.

And some Basque Norte marinade.

Instructions seemed pretty consistent at about 1/4 cup marinade per pound of meat. Had just under 3 pounds of thighs so I measured out 3/4 of a cup of marinade.

Put the chicken and marinade in the tumbler, gave the pump about 10 pumps to create the vacuum, set the timer for 20 minutes and we were off and tumbling.

Meanwhile, I warmed up the gasser.

After 11 minutes I could see that the majority of the marinade had been absorbed by the meat.

After the timer went off, I put the thighs on the grill and poured the remaining marinade back in the measuring cup.

As you can see, there was not much left that did not get absorbed by the meat.

Here they are on the grill.

Flipped them after about 15 minutes.

Done and ready to eat.

Now the tumbler is supposed to tenderize and also improve marinade absorption due to the vacuum. I don't know how much tenderization the thighs would need/get but the meat definitely felt more "relaxed" for lack of a better term when I was putting them on the grill.

As far as marinade absorption goes, as you saw, most of the liquid did indeed get absorbed by the meat. These thighs were bursting with the marinade flavor. Or as Mrs. DDave put it, after giving me a strange look, "These taste really strong." I prefer the term "flavorful". Mrs. DDave is not a fan of strong bold flavors or spices. In fact, I think she'd be pretty happy if we replaced all of the spices in our cabinet with a big ol' shaker full of BLAND. So take her assessment with a grain of salt. Or not. Maybe a pat of butter. She does like butter.

Anyway, I'm very happy with the tumbler and am looking forward to trying it out on some wings and steaks.

Thanks for looking.

Dave
    CUHS Metal Shop Reverse Flow
    UDS 1.0
    Afterburner
    Weber Performer
    Blue Thermapen
    Thermoworks Smoke with Gateway
    Thermoworks Chef Alarm
    Auber Smoker Controller
    Proud Smoked-Meat Member #88
    -
    "All welcome, take what ya need, share what ya know. " -- Richtee, 12/2/2010

Looks real nice! sure it was quite tasty!!
    Brian

Certified Sausage & Pepper Head
    Yoder YS640
    Weber Genesis
    Weber 18.5" Kettle
    Weber Performer
    Misfit # 1899

sigpic

Comment

Dave, those thighs look great! I have been using the tumbler allot and as you pointed out it really gets the marinade into the meats. In fact in one case it over marinated in my opinion. But that was my first use of it and I had the Ribeye's in the tumbler for 10 minutes longer than what's printed on their time table. In my opinion you get allot of bang for your $40. Today I am tumbling chicken tenders.
      Smoke it.. and they will come!

Rob
      Recipes & Smokes in HD Video
      SmokingPit.com

Yoder YS640
      Yoder Wichita
      Arizona BBQ Outfitters Scottsdale
      Camp Chef FTG600 Flat Top Griddle
      Blackstone 22" Flat Top Griddle

Comment

Originally posted by Wingman View Post
        In my opinion you get allot of bang for your $40.
        Most definitely.

Dave
        CUHS Metal Shop Reverse Flow
        UDS 1.0
        Afterburner
        Weber Performer
        Blue Thermapen
        Thermoworks Smoke with Gateway
        Thermoworks Chef Alarm
        Auber Smoker Controller
        Proud Smoked-Meat Member #88
        -
        "All welcome, take what ya need, share what ya know. " -- Richtee, 12/2/2010

Comment

They look great!! Haven't had a chance to try mine out yet, butt hopePhilLee this weekend!

Drinks well with others

~ P4 ~

Comment

Mine should be on my doorstep later today.

Nice looking thighs DDave.
            Lang 36 Patio, a few Webers, 2 Eggs, plenty of gadgets and a MES 40 Gen 2.5 electric for bacon and sausage.
            My best asset however is the inspiration from the members on this forum.

sigpic
            @SmokinJim52 on Twitter

Comment

Working...
            X